* Org referring to Gnus mail
@ 2012-04-27  1:51 François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2012-04-27  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello.

In my Org files, I have many references to Gnus articles which are part
of mailgroups.  When batch reading email with Gnus, I'm OK with the
newsreader paradigm, in which an article is almost deleted as soon as it
gets read: it will not show the next time I'll visit the group.

However, when an article is referred through an Org link, I think I
would prefer if the paradigm did not apply.  Currently, I see myself
"unreading" such articles all the time, which is a bit tedious, and
error prone as well, as I can easily forget to do it.  I wonder if
someone would not imagine some trickery by which, when the reference
comes from Org, the Gnus article does not get automatically read.

If references were always established "manually", I could take the habit
of banging each article on which there is an Org link, at the time I
establish the link.  The nicety is that a ticked article does not
"become read" when visited.

However, in the practical case, I have an Emacs command, launching an
external helper program, which finds all articles within all mailgroups
within the few local servers, matching a specific regexp somewhere, and
then outputs a conveniently sorted Org tree holding [[...][...]] links
to them all.  As the matches transiently depend on the pattern, it would
prefer avoiding any kind of side effects on the unread articles.

François

P.S. I'm quite surprised by the speed of the search.  Grepping through
540 Megs of text distributed in over 10000 files takes a bit less than
half a second, once the memory cache got populated.  It's hard for me to
believe, and I'm unsuccessfully looking for a bug.  It apparently works!