* project-explorer package forcing new frame... better solution than mine?
@ 2014-11-15  4:22 Brady Trainor
From: Brady Trainor @ 2014-11-15  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, I'm trying the project-explorer package. It uses a persistent window for a browsing tree.

This causes a new frame when using any of org-export-dispatch, org-agenda-view menu, ibuffer-other-window, and org-insert-link. (My C-c C-e, C-c C-a, C-x C-b, C-c C-l.)

I've made a solution for the export-dispatch (since I use project-explorer and org-export quite a bit for my Jekyll site). The solution is as follows:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(add-hook 'project-explorer-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (make-variable-frame-local 'org-export-dispatch-use-expert-ui)
            (modify-frame-parameters nil '((org-export-dispatch-use-expert-ui . t)))))
#+END_SRC

The author of project-explorer asserts that this may be a problem with Org-mode or Emacs.

Since this also appears with ibuffer-other-window, is this necessarily worth mentioning to the Emacs newsgroup?

Any ideas on a simpler solution than mine?

--
Brady

* Re: project-explorer package forcing new frame... better solution than mine?
@ 2014-11-17  9:52 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-11-17  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Brady Trainor wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying the project-explorer package. It uses a persistent
> window for a browsing tree.
>
> This causes a new frame when using any of org-export-dispatch,
> org-agenda-view menu, ibuffer-other-window, and org-insert-link. (My
> C-c C-e, C-c C-a, C-x C-b, C-c C-l.)
>
> I've made a solution for the export-dispatch (since I use
> project-explorer and org-export quite a bit for my Jekyll site). The
> solution is as follows:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (add-hook 'project-explorer-mode-hook
>           (lambda ()
>             (make-variable-frame-local 'org-export-dispatch-use-expert-ui)
>             (modify-frame-parameters nil '((org-export-dispatch-use-expert-ui . t)))))
> #+END_SRC
>
> The author of project-explorer asserts that this may be a problem with
> Org-mode or Emacs.
>
> Since this also appears with ibuffer-other-window, is this necessarily
> worth mentioning to the Emacs newsgroup?
>
> Any ideas on a simpler solution than mine?

I don't use such an explorer, but did you look at speedbar (or sr-speedbar)?

There is as well a very nice one in the CEDET collection, but I dunno if
it can be used in isolation.

Best regards,
  Seb

--