* access to specific instance(s) of past recurring event(s)
@ 2022-09-25 12:16 Saša Janiška
From: Saša Janiška @ 2022-09-25 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I do use org-mode for many things, but for the task management itself
was still depending on Taskwarrior despite its poor support for
recurring events.

However, after settling to more Emacs-powered packages, I'd like to
replace Taskwarrior with org-mode...

One useful feature of Taskwarrior is that if I have e.g recurring weekly
task "upload meeting's recording" and, due to various reasons, I'm
simply behind my schedule, I can access **any** of the missed events and
not just the oldest one as it seems to be with org-mode.

When looking for some solution I've stumbled upon this (old) post
https://karl-voit.at/2017/01/15/org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift/ which
utilizes *org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift*.

Now I wonder if there is some other/better solution that has possibly
popped up in the meantime?

Sincerely,
Saša

--
A person is said to be elevated in yoga when, having renounced
all material desires, he neither acts for sense gratification

* Re: access to specific instance(s) of past recurring event(s)
@ 2022-09-25 13:46 ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2022-09-25 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saša Janiška; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Sunday, 25 Sep 2022 at 14:16, Saša Janiška wrote:
> Now I wonder if there is some other/better solution that has possibly
> popped up in the meantime?

I use subtree cloning to create most repeating events but, for those
that I simply have a repeating timestamp, I guess I've never had a
reason to "view/manage" a previous event.  I do use log notes to record
anything of import for individual instances of the repeating event.

I guess I'm not sure what you would like to do with previous (missed)
events?
--
: Eric S Fraga, with org release_9.5.5-815-gae2140 in Emacs 29.0.50

* Re: access to specific instance(s) of past recurring event(s)
@ 2022-09-25 14:25 Mark Barton
From: Mark Barton @ 2022-09-25 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saša Janiška; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On Sep 25, 2022, at 5:44 AM, Saša Janiška <sjaniska@atmarama.net> wrote:
>
> When looking for some solution I've stumbled upon this (old) post https://karl-voit.at/2017/01/15/org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift/ which utilizes *org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift*.

I also use this method for some of my reoccurring events. I usually create a year's worth of clones and then a task to clone more for next year. It is nice to be able to remove/adjust some of the subtree entries to accommodate holidays.

When I don't use this method for a reoccurring event then I usually just schedule a repeating task and then have my notes in that task to record what happened each time.

Mark

* Re: access to specific instance(s) of past recurring event(s)
@ 2022-09-25 14:35   ` Saša Janiška
From: Saša Janiška @ 2022-09-25 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 25. 09. 2022. 15:46, Fraga, Eric wrote:

> I guess I'm not sure what you would like to do with previous (missed)
> events?

Well, I want to mark them as completed, but not in consecutive order
from oldest to newest - that's why I want to be able to
access/modify/complete them in **any** order.

Sincerely,
Saša
--
In this endeavor there is no loss or diminution,
and a little advancement on this path can protect

* Re: access to specific instance(s) of past recurring event(s)
@ 2022-09-25 14:38 ` Saša Janiška
From: Saša Janiška @ 2022-09-25 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 25. 09. 2022. 16:25, Mark Barton wrote:

> I also use this method for some of my reoccurring events.

Good.

> It is nice to be able to remove/adjust some of the subtree entries to accommodate holidays.

Indeed.

> When I don't use this method for a reoccurring event then I usually just schedule a

repeating task and then have my notes in that task to record what
happened each time.

That's also interesting. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Saša

--
As fire is covered by smoke, as a mirror is covered by dust,
or as the embryo is covered by the womb, the living entity is

* Re: access to specific instance(s) of past recurring event(s)
@ 2022-09-25 18:10 ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2022-09-25 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Saša Janiška <sjaniska@atmarama.net> writes:

> One useful feature of Taskwarrior is that if I have e.g recurring
> weekly task "upload meeting's recording" and, due to various reasons,
> I'm simply behind my schedule, I can access **any** of the missed
> events and not just the oldest one as it seems to be with org-mode.

Perhaps this is primitive and hackish, but I have the same
issue, especially with my "habits" like daily guitar practice
and language study. In my case these live in my "todo.org"
file.

When there is something I need to "fix" as you describe, I
just edit the properties (or content) in the entry in the
underlying file. This is very unsophisticated and can be a bit
error-prone, but it's straightforward and it works.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

- Via GNU/Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB

* Re: access to specific instance(s) of past recurring event(s)
@ 2022-09-25 20:54 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2022-09-25 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Mark Barton <mbarton98@gmail.com> writes:

>> On Sep 25, 2022, at 5:44 AM, Saša Janiška <sjaniska@atmarama.net> wrote:
>>
>> When looking for some solution I've stumbled upon this (old) post
>> https://karl-voit.at/2017/01/15/org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift/ which utilizes
>> *org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift*.
>
> I also use this method for some of my reoccurring events. I usually create a year's worth
> of clones and then a task to clone more for next year. It is nice to be able to
> remove/adjust some of the subtree entries to accommodate holidays.
>
> When I don't use this method for a reoccurring event then I usually just schedule a
> repeating task and then have my notes in that task to record what happened each time.
>
> Mark

That is pretty much my work flow as well. Sometimes cloning is useful
because you actually want separate 'entries' and want to retain
them. Other times, you actually want all the notes associated with some
repeating 'thing' to be kept together. Having this flexibility is very
useful.