* Heading vs Headline
@ 2014-05-01 14:08 Sebastien Vauban
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-05-01 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

Particularly in the Org Beamer documentation, headlines seems the most
used term while there is a tag "ignoreheading"...

I have the impression that both terms (heading and headline) are
synonyms. Though, is this true, or is there some subtle nuance?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Heading vs Headline
@ 2014-05-03 11:04 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-05-03 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@mygooglest.com>
writes:

> Hello,
>
> Particularly in the Org Beamer documentation, headlines seems the most
> used term while there is a tag "ignoreheading"...
>
> I have the impression that both terms (heading and headline) are
> synonyms. Though, is this true, or is there some subtle nuance?
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb

I've had the same confusion before, and have ended up trying to stick to
"heading". Having worked in journalism, "headline" has very definite
associations for me. "Heading" is seen in other equivalent contexts,
like Latex, but so is "header". "Header" stomps on the toes of
email/HTML/HTTP, though, so I come back to "heading"...

Two cents,
Eric

* Re: Heading vs Headline
@ 2014-05-03 20:04 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2014-05-03 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sebastien Vauban wrote:
[...]
> Particularly in the Org Beamer documentation, headlines seems the most
> used term while there is a tag "ignoreheading"...

Function names in org.el tend to use "heading".

#+begin_src sh
  grep defun org.el | grep heading | wc -l
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: 28

#+begin_src sh
  grep defun org.el | grep headline | wc -l
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: 3

> I have the impression that both terms (heading and headline) are
> synonyms. Though, is this true, or is there some subtle nuance?

I think Org uses them interchangeably. One of the three functions above
that use "headline" is `org-find-exact-headline-in-buffer', and the
function immediately below it is `org-find-exact-heading-in-directory'.

--
Kyle

* Re: Heading vs Headline
@ 2014-05-06  9:48 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-05-06  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Sébastien,

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org>
writes:

> I have the impression that both terms (heading and headline) are
> synonyms. Though, is this true, or is there some subtle nuance?

I tend to use "headline" when I want to suggest it can fold, and
"heading" when I want to refer to the contents of the headline.

This is all a bit intuitive, but I don't think this is a problem.

--
 Bastien