* [babel, R] Commands are not copied in the iESS buffer upon evaluation
@ 2014-08-29  8:57 Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-08-29  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

I execute the following block of R code by going in the temporary buffer (via
`C-c '') and by sending the lines to the =*R*= buffer (via `C-c C-b').

#+begin_src R :eval yes
  id.etp <- as.data.frame(c(111:113, 444, 555, 666))
  names(id.etp) <- "Id"
  id.etp
#+end_src

The commands are outputted in the iESS buffer.

Though, if I eval the following block with `C-c C-v C-e', the commands are not
copied in the iESS buffer. Only "complex" sequences of ">" and "+" are visible.

#+begin_src R :eval yes
  id.stg <- as.data.frame(c(222:224, 777, 888, 999))
  names(id.stg) <- "Id"
  id.stg
#+end_src

See for yourself on http://screencast.com/t/dq3w3vAp.

Does it have something to do with `ess-eval-visibly' not being respected
(whose default is `t')?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: [babel, R] Commands are not copied in the iESS buffer upon evaluation
@ 2014-08-30  7:22 ` Andreas Kiermeier
From: Andreas Kiermeier @ 2014-08-30  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Seb,
I'm not quite sure why the commands are not echoed and someone else
can probably explain this.
But for what it's worth, using a header argument ":results output"
shows the command plus their output in the *R* buffer.
Cheers,
Andreas

* Re: [babel, R] Commands are not copied in the iESS buffer upon evaluation
@ 2014-08-30 18:49 ` Aaron Ecay
From: Aaron Ecay @ 2014-08-30 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

Hi Seb,

2014ko abuztuak 29an, Sebastien Vauban-ek idatzi zuen:

[...]

> Does it have something to do with `ess-eval-visibly' not being respected
> (whose default is `t')?

Indeed, babel’s R support let-binds this variable to nil when evaluating
value-type results in a session.

--
Aaron Ecay

* Re: [babel, R] Commands are not copied in the iESS buffer upon evaluation
@ 2014-09-01  7:23   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-09-01  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Aaron,

Aaron Ecay wrote:
> 2014ko abuztuak 29an, Sebastien Vauban-ek idatzi zuen:
>
>> Does it have something to do with `ess-eval-visibly' not being respected
>> (whose default is `t')?
>
> Indeed, babel’s R support let-binds this variable to nil when evaluating
> value-type results in a session.

OK. Can we put it to `t' by default [1] or, at least, have Org Babel
respect our ESS setting?

Best regards,
  Seb

[1] For me, that makes more sense, moreover when there are errors
    happening. Currently, when we go and look in the session, we just
    see a (sometimes cryptic) error message, but not after which command
    it occurred.

--

@ 2014-09-01 16:58     ` Charles Berry
From: Charles Berry @ 2014-09-01 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@...> writes:

> Hi Aaron,
>
> Aaron Ecay wrote:
> > 2014ko abuztuak 29an, Sebastien Vauban-ek idatzi zuen:
> >
> >> Does it have something to do with `ess-eval-visibly' not being respected
> >> (whose default is `t')?
> >
> > Indeed, babel’s R support let-binds this variable to nil when evaluating
> > value-type results in a session.
>
> OK. Can we put it to `t' by default [1] or, at least, have Org Babel
> respect our ESS setting?

If you Google `ess-eval-visibly slow' you will get a bunch of hits that
show why people prefer `nil' and why that is a good default.

But it may be OK to allow a user to override.

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: [babel, R] Commands are not copied in the iESS buffer upon evaluation
@ 2014-09-02 13:32       ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-09-02 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Charles Berry wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@...> writes:
>> Aaron Ecay wrote:
>>> 2014ko abuztuak 29an, Sebastien Vauban-ek idatzi zuen:

>>> Indeed, babel’s R support let-binds this variable to nil when evaluating
>>> value-type results in a session.
>>
>> OK. Can we put it to `t' by default [1] or, at least, have Org Babel
>> respect our ESS setting?
>
> If you Google `ess-eval-visibly slow' you will get a bunch of hits
> that show why people prefer `nil' and why that is a good default.

OK, I can imagine letting the current default is good.

> But it may be OK to allow a user to override.

But I really find we should be able to override it, yes!

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2014-10-12 12:28         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-10-12 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Sébastien,

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org>
writes:

>> But it may be OK to allow a user to override.
>
> But I really find we should be able to override it, yes!

Can you provide a patch for this?

--
 Bastien