* [Ann] Tool to hack time
@ 2017-02-03 16:07 Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2017-02-03 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Orgers,

https://gitlab.com/marcowahl/hack-time is a little tool to forge the
`current-time' in Emacs.  This allows to mark todo-items done
conveniently at another date.

Maybe you want to play with that time forgery.

Comments welcome, as always.

Best regards

                       Marco

* Re: [Ann] Tool to hack time
@ 2017-02-03 20:18 ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2017-02-03 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Wahl; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Here I was, hoping it was a tool to *actually* hack time.

You know, M-x tardis-mode.

:-)

Yours,
Christian

Marco Wahl writes:

> Dear Orgers,
>
> https://gitlab.com/marcowahl/hack-time is a little tool to forge the
> `current-time' in Emacs.  This allows to mark todo-items done
> conveniently at another date.
>
> Maybe you want to play with that time forgery.
>
> Comments welcome, as always.
>

> Best regards
>
>                        Marco

* Re: [Ann] Tool to hack time
@ 2017-02-04  8:48   ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2017-02-04  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Christian Moe

Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> writes:

> Here I was, hoping it was a tool to *actually* hack time.
>
> You know, M-x tardis-mode.

The Doctor worked on this IIRC.  If you notice weird behavior on your
machine, you can be sure that the mode will have been released.

Regards,

                       Marco

* Re: [Ann] Tool to hack time
@ 2017-02-08 12:23 ` Stig Brautaset
From: Stig Brautaset @ 2017-02-08 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Wahl; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Marco,

Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear Orgers,
>
> https://gitlab.com/marcowahl/hack-time is a little tool to forge the
> `current-time' in Emacs.  This allows to mark todo-items done
> conveniently at another date.
>
> Maybe you want to play with that time forgery.
>
> Comments welcome, as always.

I gave it a quick spin. The first thing that struck me was sadness at
not finding an elpa package :-(

Anyway, I obtained it from its repo and I positioned calendar on 7th of
February, and invoked it on an entry I forgot to mark as done yesterday.
This is the result:

,----
| ** TODO Practice guitar
|    SCHEDULED: <2017-02-08 Wed ++1d/3d>
|    :PROPERTIES:
|    :STYLE:    habit
|    :LAST_REPEAT: [2017-02-08 Tue 12:01]
|    :END:
|    :LOGBOOK:
|    - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2017-02-07 Tue 11:55] \\
`----

Note that:

- new scheduled time is correct
- logbook entry is correct
- LAST_REPEAT property is *incorrect*; I expect this too to be
  [2017-02-07 Tue 11:55]

Stig

* Re: [Ann] Tool to hack time
@ 2017-02-08 14:47   ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2017-02-08 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Stig,

Thanks for your feedback!

>> https://gitlab.com/marcowahl/hack-time is a little tool to forge the
>>[...]
>> Comments welcome, as always.
>
> I gave it a quick spin. The first thing that struck me was sadness at
> not finding an elpa package :-(

You are right, I think.  I'll propose the hack-time code soon as elpa
package.  Possibly in the form of a minor mode.  You are invited to
contribute to the realization as package.

> Anyway, I obtained it from its repo and I positioned calendar on 7th of
> February, and invoked it on an entry I forgot to mark as done yesterday.
> This is the result:
>
> ,----
> | ** TODO Practice guitar
> |    SCHEDULED: <2017-02-08 Wed ++1d/3d>
> |    :PROPERTIES:
> |    :STYLE:    habit
> |    :LAST_REPEAT: [2017-02-08 Tue 12:01]
> |    :END:
> |    :LOGBOOK:
> |    - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2017-02-07 Tue 11:55] \\
> `----
>
> Note that:
>
> - new scheduled time is correct
> - logbook entry is correct
> - LAST_REPEAT property is *incorrect*; I expect this too to be
>   [2017-02-07 Tue 11:55]

Yes.  I also noticed the issue with LAST_REPEAT.  I should have told in
the announcement that 'hack-time' depends on the Org 'master' branch
since about two weeks to handle LAST_REPEAT reliably.

Unfortunately 'hack-time' in its current form is not strong enough to
hack ANY time in Emacs.  Up to now 'hack-time' only applies to elisp
code when it calls 'current-time'.

Best regards,

                       Marco

* Re: [Ann] Tool to hack time
@ 2017-02-08 19:13     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2017-02-08 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Wahl; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Christian Moe

it's great to have such a mechanism.

my preference for such things is to use no-time for ones that are done later.

On 2/8/17, Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> wrote:
>> |    :LAST_REPEAT: [2017-02-08 Tue 12:01]

nix the 12:01.

--
The Kafka Pandemic: <http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com>

The disease DOES progress. MANY people have died from it. And ANYBODY
can get it -- at any time.

"You’ve really gotta quit this and get moving, because this is murder
by neglect." --- very true words by Johanna Kaiser spoken to US NIH in
conference call with Walter Koroshetz, NINDS director
<http://www.meaction.net/2017/02/03/pwme-people-with-me-are-being-murdered-by-neglect>

* Re: [Ann] Tool to hack time
@ 2017-02-09 19:17       ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2017-02-09 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> it's great to have such a mechanism.
>
> my preference for such things is to use no-time for ones that are done later.

> nix the 12:01.

AFAICS this is not so easy to implement.  Thanks for sharing the idea,
though.

Best regards

                       Marco