* [RFC, mini] org-mark-element-parent
@ 2017-05-29 23:00 Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2017-05-29 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Orgers,

is the following function worthy to occupy space in Orgmode?

#v+
(defun org-mark-element-parent ()
  "Put point at beginning of the parent element, mark at end."
  (interactive)
  (let ((parent (org-element-property :parent (org-element-at-point))))
    (when parent
      (push-mark (org-element-property :end parent) t t)
      (goto-char (org-element-property :begin parent)))))
#v-

Can be used to e.g.
- mark a table or
- a plain list

Best regards
            Marco

* Re: [RFC, mini] org-mark-element-parent
@ 2017-05-30  7:01 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-05-30  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Wahl; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> writes:

> is the following function worthy to occupy space in Orgmode?
>
> #v+
> (defun org-mark-element-parent ()
>   "Put point at beginning of the parent element, mark at end."
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((parent (org-element-property :parent (org-element-at-point))))
>     (when parent
>       (push-mark (org-element-property :end parent) t t)
>       (goto-char (org-element-property :begin parent)))))
> #v-
>
> Can be used to e.g.
> - mark a table or
> - a plain list

There is already a binding to move to the beginning of the parent
element (C-c C-^, IIRC).

IMO, this is not only marginally useful. Also, it doesn't handle
headlines.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [RFC, mini] org-mark-element-parent
@ 2017-05-30  7:51   ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2017-05-30  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Nicolas Goaziou

Hi!

>> is the following function worthy to occupy space in Orgmode?
>>
>> #v+
>> (defun org-mark-element-parent ()
>>   "Put point at beginning of the parent element, mark at end."
>>   (interactive)
>>   (let ((parent (org-element-property :parent (org-element-at-point))))
>>     (when parent
>>       (push-mark (org-element-property :end parent) t t)
>>       (goto-char (org-element-property :begin parent)))))
>> #v-
>>
>> Can be used to e.g.
>> - mark a table or
>> - a plain list
>
> There is already a binding to move to the beginning of the parent
> element (C-c C-^, IIRC).

Nice!

How could I overlook `org-up-element'?  `org-up-element' together with
org-mark-element (M-h) is my key combination of the day!

> IMO, this is not only marginally useful. Also, it doesn't handle
> headlines.

Let's commit that little RFC to the stream of oblivion.

Thanks!