* org-timer-set-timer from any buffer
@ 2019-11-05 12:14 ian martins
From: ian martins @ 2019-11-05 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is it intentional that org-timer start, stop, and pause-or-continue all
work from any buffer, but org-timer-set-timer only works from an org buffer?

* Re: org-timer-set-timer from any buffer
@ 2019-11-05 13:42 ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2019-11-05 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

ian martins <ianxm@jhu.edu> writes:

> Is it intentional that org-timer start, stop, and pause-or-continue all
> work from any buffer, but org-timer-set-timer only works from an org buffer?

I bet $1 that this is unintentional.  If it was intentional this should
have been documented, I think.  Possibly you are the first noticing this
inconsistency.

* Re: org-timer-set-timer from any buffer
@ 2020-02-11 15:44 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-02-11 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ian martins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ian,

ian martins <ianxm@jhu.edu> writes:

> Is it intentional that org-timer start, stop, and pause-or-continue
> all work from any buffer, but org-timer-set-timer only works from an
> org buffer?

I don't know if this is intentional.

Is there a problem here?  If so, how can we fix it?

 Bastien

* Re: org-timer-set-timer from any buffer
@ 2020-02-11 16:03   ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-02-11 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien, ian martins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Ian,
>
> ian martins <ianxm@jhu.edu> writes:
>
>> Is it intentional that org-timer start, stop, and pause-or-continue
>> all work from any buffer, but org-timer-set-timer only works from an
>> org buffer?
>
> I don't know if this is intentional.
>
> Is there a problem here?  If so, how can we fix it?

Ian already addressed it with the patch at
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2019-11/msg00166.html>,
which was applied as 044e9718c (org-timer.el: Allow org-timer-set-timer
from non-Org buffers, 2019-11-16).

* Re: org-timer-set-timer from any buffer
@ 2020-02-11 16:43     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-02-11 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: ian martins, emacs-orgmode

Hi Kyle,

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> Ian already addressed it with the patch at
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2019-11/msg00166.html>,
> which was applied as 044e9718c (org-timer.el: Allow org-timer-set-timer
> from non-Org buffers, 2019-11-16).

Thanks!  I didn't read the whole thread as I should have, thanks for
applying this.

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-timer-set-timer from any buffer
@ 2020-02-12  1:14       ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-02-12  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: ian martins, emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
>
>> Ian already addressed it with the patch at
>> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2019-11/msg00166.html>,
>> which was applied as 044e9718c (org-timer.el: Allow org-timer-set-timer
>> from non-Org buffers, 2019-11-16).
>
> Thanks!  I didn't read the whole thread as I should have, thanks for
> applying this.

It happened in a separate thread, so there wasn't much hope for it to be
linked up.  I should have sent a message here for posterity when I
applied the patch.