* Org-mode and searching for multiple occurances
@ 2010-02-10 15:34 evita moreno
From: evita moreno @ 2010-02-10 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello to everyone!

I am a teacher trying to teach young people how to use org-mode for writing. We have created a database with notes on literature review outlined in org-mode in the following format:

* jones2000
blah blah blah keyword1 keyword2
*jones2007
blah blah keyword2

and so on. I was wondering whether there is a way where one can search for a keyword in the database (more than 350 papers up to now) and can get in an automatic fashion in which of the jones' entries these keywords occur (pretty much like using MS Access and running a query). Is this possible? Maybe what I am asking for is outright crazy/impossible but I thought I should give it a go!

Evita

* Re: Org-mode and searching for multiple occurances
@ 2010-02-10 15:46 ` Stephan Schmitt
From: Stephan Schmitt @ 2010-02-10 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: evita moreno; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Evita,

you may want to try M-x org-occur:

> org-occur is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `org.el'.
>
> (org-occur regexp &optional keep-previous callback)
>
> Make a compact tree which shows all matches of regexp.
> The tree will show the lines where the regexp matches, and all higher
> headlines above the match.  It will also show the heading after the match,
> to make sure editing the matching entry is easy.
> If keep-previous is non-nil, highlighting and exposing done by a previous
> call to `org-occur' will be kept, to allow stacking of calls to this
> command.
> If callback is non-nil, it is a function which is called to confirm
> that the match should indeed be shown.

But this only shows the matching entries, it doesn't generate a list of the
entries (like running a query on a database).

Hth,
	Stephan

Also sprach evita moreno:

@ 2010-02-10 21:20 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-02-10 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: evita moreno; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

evita moreno <evitamoreno80@live.com> writes:

> I am a teacher trying to teach young people how to use org-mode for
> writing. We have created a database with notes on literature review
> outlined in org-mode in the following format:
>
> * jones2000
> blah blah blah keyword1 keyword2
> *jones2007
> blah blah keyword2
>
> and so on. I was wondering whether there is a way where one can search
> for a keyword in the database (more than 350 papers up to now) and can
> get in an automatic fashion in which of the jones' entries these
> keywords occur (pretty much like using MS Access and running a query).
> Is this possible? Maybe what I am asking for is outright crazy/
> impossible but I thought I should give it a go!

You can use org-search-view (C-c a s).

Best,
Matt

* Re: Re: Org-mode and searching for multiple occurances
@ 2010-02-11  9:45   ` Stephan Schmitt
From: Stephan Schmitt @ 2010-02-11  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, evita moreno

Also sprach Matt Lundin:
> evita moreno <evitamoreno80@live.com> writes:
>
>> I am a teacher trying to teach young people how to use org-mode for
>> writing. We have created a database with notes on literature review
>> outlined in org-mode in the following format:
>>
>> * jones2000
>> blah blah blah keyword1 keyword2
>> *jones2007
>> blah blah keyword2
>>
>> and so on. I was wondering whether there is a way where one can search
>> for a keyword in the database (more than 350 papers up to now) and can
>> get in an automatic fashion in which of the jones' entries these
>> keywords occur (pretty much like using MS Access and running a query).
>> Is this possible? Maybe what I am asking for is outright crazy/
>> impossible but I thought I should give it a go!
>
> You can use org-search-view (C-c a s).
>
> Best,
> Matt

Just a remark:
If the file is not in org-agenda-files it is "C-c a < s"

Greetings,
	Stephan

* Re: Re: Org-mode and searching for multiple occurances
@ 2010-02-11 10:09     ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2010-02-11 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephan Schmitt; +Cc: Matt Lundin, emacs-orgmode, evita moreno

Stephan Schmitt <drmabuse@cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:

Hi, Stephan,
> Also sprach Matt Lundin:
>> evita moreno <evitamoreno80@live.com> writes:
>>
>>> * jones2000
>>> blah blah blah keyword1 keyword2
>>> *jones2007
>>> blah blah keyword2
>>>
>>> and so on. I was wondering whether there is a way where one can search
>>> for a keyword in the database (more than 350 papers up to now) and can
>>> get in an automatic fashion in which of the jones' entries these
>>> keywords occur
>> You can use org-search-view (C-c a s).
> Just a remark:
> If the file is not in org-agenda-files it is "C-c a < s"

well I don't think that using *Agenda* is what Evita is looking for,
or at least I was not able to obtain a satisfactory view
of the authors with keyword2 occurrence in my test.org file.

I think that your first solution:

M-x org-occur

is the best *org-option*
(Isn't better using bibtex and bibtex tools?)

cheers,
Giovanni

* Re: Org-mode and searching for multiple occurances
@ 2010-02-11 12:08       ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2010-02-11 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: Matt Lundin, emacs-orgmode, evita moreno

Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> writes:

> Stephan Schmitt <drmabuse@cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:
>
> Hi, Stephan,
>> Also sprach Matt Lundin:

>>> You can use org-search-view (C-c a s).
>> Just a remark:
>> If the file is not in org-agenda-files it is "C-c a < s"
>>
> well I don't think that using *Agenda* is what Evita is looking for,
> or at least I was not able to obtain a satisfactory view
> of the authors with keyword2 occurrence in my test.org file.
>
> I think that your first solution:
>
> M-x org-occur
>
> is the best *org-option*

I'm not sure I follow you here. The function org-search-view (C-c a s)
searches all org-agenda files for a regexp and/or word (or as Stephan
pointed out searches the current file with a restriction) and returns a
list of entry headings that contains that keyword. AFAICT, this is the
behavior the OP was looking for:

Search words: keyword2
Press `[', `]' to add/sub word, `{', `}' to add/sub regexp, `C-u r' to edit
  test:       jones2000
  test:       jones2007

One more consideration: If the OP wants genuine tag functionality,
perhaps it would be better to add the keywords as tags. E.g.,

** jones2000						  :keyword1:keyword2:
blah blah
** jones2007							   :keyword2:
blah blah