* optimal usage Q : how would you do this?
@ 2010-10-12 11:31 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-10-12 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'd like to see how others manipulate org.

Lets say I have a load of contracts to follow up on.

heres the raw data

,----
| Contracts to follow up on
|
|  Basics
|   Vattenfall
|   Water
|   HanseGas
|  Insurances
|   Zürich
|   BGN
|   IHK (not really insurance though)
|  Suppliers
|   Unterbichler
|   COlle
|   Ökokill
|   Tobacoland
|   Strelow
`----

How would you organise that in org?

And how would you do it with regard to the keyboard and levelling.

Is there a short cut to generate the lot as a multilevel single todo item with
a list of sub components which must each be done? Can they be list items
or better they each be individual org items?

I ask because sometimes I wonder if I am doing things far from optimally
and would love to see how others would change the raw data above into an
all singing all dancing all tracking org unit(s) of work,

regards

r.

* Re: optimal usage Q : how would you do this?
@ 2010-10-12 14:00 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2010-10-12 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi, Richard

> Lets say I have a load of contracts to follow up on.
> heres the raw data
> ,----
> | Contracts to follow up on
> |
> |  Basics
> |   Vattenfall
> |   Water
> |   HanseGas
> |  Insurances
> |   Zürich
> |   BGN
> |   IHK (not really insurance though)
> |  Suppliers
> |   Unterbichler
> |   COlle
> |   Ökokill
> |   Tobacoland
> |   Strelow
> `----
>
> How would you organise that in org?
I'd transform plain test in headline with `C-c *'
(`org-toggle-heading') [1]

and would work with the power of TODO items: Agenda, sparse tree...

> And how would you do it with regard to the keyboard and levelling.
Depends on your file.

Basics  ( nth---level)
 Water  ( nth+1-level)

> Is there a short cut to generate the lot as a multilevel single todo item with
> a list of sub components which must each be done?
Statistics [/] [%] works also for TODOs

[1] Manual: Structure editing

cheers,
Giovanni