* org-html-list-of-tables ODD BEHAVIOR in producing in html export a hyperlinked table of figures to result tables
@ 2016-08-03 23:06 Cook, Malcolm
From: Cook, Malcolm @ 2016-08-03 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'emacs-orgmode@gnu.org'

Hi,

I understand that Including in my org file:

#+TOC: tables

Produces a list of all captioned tables in my document.

If the table lacks a caption, it does not appear in the list of tables.

Alas, they are not hyperlinked to the table unless I add a #+NAME directive.

Oddly, the #+NAME: may even be empty, and the hyperlink is created.

Further oddly, even if the #+NAME is empty, its actual value is ignored.... it is not used as the anchor.

Is all this by design?

Thanks,

Malcolm

* Re: org-html-list-of-tables ODD BEHAVIOR in producing in html export a hyperlinked table of figures to result tables
@ 2016-08-08 12:35 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-08-08 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cook, Malcolm; +Cc: 'emacs-orgmode@gnu.org'

Hello,

"Cook, Malcolm" <MEC@stowers.org> writes:

> I understand that Including in my org file:
>
> #+TOC: tables
>
> Produces a list of all captioned tables in my document.
>
> If the table lacks a caption, it does not appear in the list of tables.
>
> Alas, they are not hyperlinked to the table unless I add a #+NAME
> directive.

Only named tables are anchored. There is nothing to link to from the
list of tables if there is no name.

We could add anchors to all tables and all code blocks to circumvent
this, but I'm not sure this is necessary.

> Oddly, the #+NAME: may even be empty, and the hyperlink is created.

The empty string is, at the moment, a valid name. Corner cases are
usually not satisfactory either way.

> Further oddly, even if the #+NAME is empty, its actual value is
> ignored.... it is not used as the anchor.

Correct. Org provides its own internal labels. #+NAME is for user
consumption, when you want to write, e.g.,

  [[name]]

> Is all this by design?

More or less, yes. Do you see any room for improvement?

Nicolas Goaziou