* [ANN] Markdown export back-end in contrib
@ 2012-07-26 11:02 Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-07-26 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hello,

I introduced a Markdown export back-end in contrib/.  It uses atx syntax
for headlines and inline syntax for links and images.  It is quite
simple, so don't expect much about it.

This is Markdown vanilla flavour, so there are a few thing that it
doesn't support.  Among them, some are simply ignored (i.e. footnotes),
other are sent to HTML back-end (i.e. tables).  Anyway, creating a new
flavour out of it (i.e. Github Markdown Flavour) is simple with
`org-export-define-derived-backend'.

You can use `org-md-export-as-markdown' and `org-md-export-to-markdown'
functions to test it.

Feedback is welcome (note: I don't use md format, so for suggestions,
please be explicit).

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [ANN] Markdown export back-end in contrib
@ 2012-07-26 11:18 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-07-26 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jul 26 2012, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I introduced a Markdown export back-end in contrib/.  It uses atx syntax
> for headlines and inline syntax for links and images.  It is quite
> simple, so don't expect much about it.
>
> This is Markdown vanilla flavour, so there are a few thing that it
> doesn't support.  Among them, some are simply ignored (i.e. footnotes),
> other are sent to HTML back-end (i.e. tables).  Anyway, creating a new
> flavour out of it (i.e. Github Markdown Flavour) is simple with
> `org-export-define-derived-backend'.
>
> You can use `org-md-export-as-markdown' and `org-md-export-to-markdown'
> functions to test it.

Wonderful! I feel a little silly exporting one markup language to
another (though I guess that's all HTML is, in the end), but so much of
what I do online is done through Markdown… This is very welcome.

GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.11)
 of 2012-07-23 on pellet
7.8.10

* Re: [ANN] Markdown export back-end in contrib
@ 2012-07-26 12:25 ` Luis Anaya
From: Luis Anaya @ 2012-07-26 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode List

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> I introduced a Markdown export back-end in contrib/.  It uses atx syntax
> for headlines and inline syntax for links and images.  It is quite
> simple, so don't expect much about it.

Good deal! It certainly simplifies the work while adding content on
sites.  I'm curious to see how compatible are these to enter content in
JIRA (probably the wiki one... or this one... I need to try it)

> You can use `org-md-export-as-markdown' and `org-md-export-to-markdown'
> functions to test it.

Oh... niiiiceee... :)

Thanks a lot!

--
Luis Anaya
papo anaya aroba hot mail punto com

* Re: [ANN] Markdown export back-end in contrib
@ 2012-07-26 13:50   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-07-26 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:

> Wonderful! I feel a little silly exporting one markup language to
> another (though I guess that's all HTML is, in the end) ...

... or LaTeX for that matter! It's turtles, erm... markup, all the way down :-)

Nick

* Re: [ANN] Markdown export back-end in contrib
@ 2012-07-27 19:20   ` Luis Anaya
From: Luis Anaya @ 2012-07-27 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode List

Luis Anaya <papoanaya@hotmail.com> writes:

>> You can use `org-md-export-as-markdown' and `org-md-export-to-markdown'
>> functions to test it.

Well, it works... but hashes are being problematic. They append an
initial \ at some of the levels. I went through the code and I saw that
this is being handled through a regular expression substitution, however
for some reasons this initial \ is escaping. (it may be a feature
though).

As an enhancement, you might want to provide an option to use setext
convention to markdown headers in addition to the use of hashes.  Just in case
a given site is limited to that markdown style.

For setext markdown
#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
First Headers are marked like this
==================================

Subsequent headers are marked like this
---------------------------------------

#+END_EXAMPLE

Luis

--
Luis R. Anaya

@ 2012-07-27 21:07     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-07-27 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Anaya; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hello,

Luis Anaya <papoanaya@hotmail.com> writes:

> Well, it works... but hashes are being problematic. They append an
> initial \ at some of the levels. I went through the code and I saw that
> this is being handled through a regular expression substitution, however
> for some reasons this initial \ is escaping. (it may be a feature
> though).

I modified the hash protection code a few hours ago. Could you update
org-md.el and try again?

If it still fails, could you provide an ECM?

> As an enhancement, you might want to provide an option to use setext
> convention to markdown headers in addition to the use of hashes.  Just in case
> a given site is limited to that markdown style.

Done. Users can configure `org-md-headline-style' variable.

Thank you for testing this.

@ 2012-07-28  9:48       ` Luis Anaya
From: Luis Anaya @ 2012-07-28  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode List

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> I modified the hash protection code a few hours ago. Could you update
> org-md.el and try again?

I downloaded the latest one and tried it. It did the trick, no issues.

> If it still fails, could you provide an ECM?

Erm, would you enlighten this old man and describe an ECM other than the
thinguie used by fighter planes to avoid being shut down by enemy
missiles? :)

> Done. Users can configure `org-md-headline-style' variable.

Cool!

--

@ 2012-07-28  9:54         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-07-28  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Anaya; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hello,

Luis Anaya <papoanaya@hotmail.com> writes:

> I downloaded the latest one and tried it. It did the trick, no issues.

Great.

> Erm, would you enlighten this old man and describe an ECM other than the
> thinguie used by fighter planes to avoid being shut down by enemy
> missiles? :)

It's in the FAQ!

  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#ecm

It's used by bug reporters so maintainers are not shot by eisenbugs.

@ 2012-07-28  9:56         ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-07-28  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Anaya; +Cc: Org Mode List, Nicolas Goaziou