* Underline ONLY the first character of a word?
@ 2011-08-24 20:16 Michael Hannon
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael Hannon @ 2011-08-24 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-Mode List

Greetings.  I've "inherited" an HTML document that uses the construct:

    <u>e</u>vent

for instance, to underline the initial 'e' in the word.  The context is
something like:

to show that the choice of option 'e' corresponds to choosing an "event".

In preparation for a revision of the document, I'm trying to create a *.org
file that will duplicate as much of the original style of the HTML document as
possible (i.e., when exported to HTML).

I haven't been able to find a way to underline just the first character of a
word.  For instance,

    _e_vent

doesn't produce what I want.  I tried:

    _e_ vent

and that underlined the 'e' but, of course, left an unwanted space.

Is there some way to do this?  A better way?

Thanks,

-- Mike

* Re: Underline ONLY the first character of a word?
@ 2011-08-24 21:51 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-08-24 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hannon; +Cc: Org-Mode List

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Michael Hannon <jm_hannon@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I haven't been able to find a way to underline just the first character of a
> word.  For instance,
>
>     _e_vent
>
> doesn't produce what I want.  I tried:
>
>     _e_ vent
>
> and that underlined the 'e' but, of course, left an unwanted space.
>
> Is there some way to do this?  A better way?

I don't believe you can.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Underline ONLY the first character of a word?
@ 2011-08-24 22:44   ` Michael Hannon
From: Michael Hannon @ 2011-08-24 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suvayu ali; +Cc: Org-Mode List

Thanks, Suvayu.  I'll bet somebody on this list could knock out 400 lines of elisp code that would do the trick, but I'm happy to punt on it.  It isn't that important a feature.

-- Mike

@ 2011-08-24 22:50     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-08-24 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hannon; +Cc: Org-Mode List

> ________________________________

What are you exporting to? I almost exclusively use LaTeX, so I will
take to forcing something like this on the rare occasion I need it:

,-----
| \underline{T}his is a test.
| Ti\emph{k}Z
`-----

John

@ 2011-08-24 23:28 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-08-24 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hannon; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org-Mode List

Michael Hannon <jm_hannon@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Greetings.  I've "inherited" an HTML document that uses the construct:
>
>     <u>e</u>vent
>
> for instance, to underline the initial 'e' in the word.  The context is
> something like:

> to show that the choice of option 'e' corresponds to choosing an "event".
>
> In preparation for a revision of the document, I'm trying to create a *.org
> file that will duplicate as much of the original style of the HTML document as
> possible (i.e., when exported to HTML).
>
> I haven't been able to find a way to underline just the first character of a
> word.  For instance,
>
>     _e_vent
>
> doesn't produce what I want.  I tried:
>
>     _e_ vent
>
> and that underlined the 'e' but, of course, left an unwanted space.
>
> Is there some way to do this?  A better way?

Not without some code I think.

I can *almost* do it with babel, but there is some manual work involved.
For example, in the following file:

* Table                                                 :noexport:

#+TBLNAME: actions
| abbrev | action          |
|--------+-----------------|
| a      | actionable      |
| b      | bibulous        |
| c      | califragilistic |

#+begin_src python :results output :exports none :var table=actions

  print "* Results"
  print "#+begin_html"
  for row in table:

  print "#+end_html"
#+end_src

I can evaluate the source block with C-c C-c and get a results block
like this[fn:1]:

#+results:
#+begin_example
* Results
#+begin_html
#+end_html
#+end_example

then manually delete the #+{begin,end}_example lines and *then* export the
resulting file.

You might also be able to do something with radio tables or dynamic blocks
but I have not gone down that path.

Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1] You might have to do something like this

     (setq  org-babel-min-lines-for-block-output 1)

to convince babel to produce an example block rather than colon-preceded
literals.

* Re: Underline ONLY the first character of a word?
@ 2011-08-24 23:34   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-08-24 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hannon; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Not without some code I think.

D'oh - as John Hendy points out, you can do it by hand:

#+begin_html
#+end_html

It always amazes me how fixated I can get on the wrong approach.

Nick

* Re: Underline ONLY the first character of a word?
@ 2011-08-25  0:26   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-08-25  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hannon; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Here is an amusing aside[fn:1]. Take the org file I posted previously:

* Table                                                 :noexport:

#+TBLNAME: actions
| abbrev | action          |
|--------+-----------------|
| a      | actionable      |
| b      | bibulous        |
| c      | califragilistic |

#+begin_src python :results output :exports none :var table=actions

  print "* Results"
  print "#+begin_html"
  for row in table:

  print "#+end_html"
#+end_src

If I export this to html, I get nothing in the body because of the :noexport: tag.
But if I evaluate the source block:

* Table                                                                                                       :noexport:

#+TBLNAME: actions
| abbrev | action          |
|--------+-----------------|
| a      | actionable      |
| b      | bibulous        |
| c      | califragilistic |

#+begin_src python :results output :exports none :var table=actions
  print "* Results"
  print "#+begin_html"
  for row in table:
                                             row[1][0:1],
                                             row[1][1:])

  print "#+end_html"

#+end_src

#+results:
#+begin_example
* Results
#+begin_html
#+end_html
#+end_example

and then export (*without* the manual excision of the #+{begin,end}_example),
I get:

<h2 id="sec-1"><span class="section-number-2">1</span> Results </h2>

which surprised me: the "* Results" line is interpreted as a new headline
during export, despite the fact that it appears within an example block
(that's probably a consequence of the  ordering of actions
in org-export-preprocess-string [fn:2]): the noexport tag strips everything
to  the "* Results" line, which I guess is surprising at first but makes sense,
and the #+end_example line is silently discarded).

Oh, no! Look what I've done: András will now insist that the whole thing has
to be either documented completely or thrown out bodily :-)

With-tongue-firmly-in-cheek-ly yours,
Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1] For some value of "amusing".

[fn:2] See somewhere in this thread: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/46021.

* Re: Underline ONLY the first character of a word?
@ 2011-08-25 21:30     ` Michael Hannon
From: Michael Hannon @ 2011-08-25 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-Mode List

Thanks to Suvayu, John, and Nick (in chronological order) for thoughtful comments on this.  I'm still considering my options.

@ 2011-08-26  5:59 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-08-26  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hannon; +Cc: Org-Mode List

See http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg45991.html

Just, creating a backlink to the other thread. John Hendy created the
forward link.

@ 2011-08-26  8:35     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-08-26  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Michael Hannon, emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I don't think the following trick has come up yet.  If you are
only exporting to HTML, you can do:

@<u>e@</u>vent

HTH

- Carsten

@ 2011-08-28  9:41       ` Niels Giesen
From: Niels Giesen @ 2011-08-28  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Michael Hannon, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

What about using something well-structured like a table or a (definition)
list and CSS :first-letter pseudoselector and text-decoration: underline?

e.g.

td:first-child {
  font-weight:bold;
}
td~td:first-letter {
  text-decoration:underline;
}

for a two-column table.

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com

--
http://pft.github.com

* Re: Underline ONLY the first character of a word?
@ 2011-08-29  3:48       ` Michael Hannon
From: Michael Hannon @ 2011-08-29  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org