* Footnote export to LaTeX "wrong number of arguments" error
@ 2011-07-30 19:45 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-07-30 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I saw the previous post about LaTeX footnotes, but I don't think
that's my issue (seemed to related to sites with underscores in the
URL).

I just upgraded to 7.7 and can't export this simple example:

-----

* section

Let's see what happens. [fn:1]

* Footnotes

[fn:1] somethign to say
-----

I get this error in the minibuffer:

---------
Export buffer:
Exporting to PDF...
Exporting to LaTeX...
org-export-as-latex: Wrong number of arguments: #[nil "Æ~ebÇ
ÆÈ#)ÉÆÊ

       \"*
          Ë\"
ÆÈ#\\ÌÆÊ     ebÇ

        \"*IÉÆÊ

               \"*Í,Ë\",*	*" [l rtn org-footnote-definition-re string
num org-footnote-re nil re-search-forward t 2 ...] 5
("/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-footnote.elc" . 6816)], 1
----------

Any suggestions? I have no idea what's going on...

Thanks,
John

* Re: Footnote export to LaTeX "wrong number of arguments" error
@ 2011-07-30 19:53 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-07-30 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
> Any suggestions? I have no idea what's going on...

Neither have I, but your example exports OK for me, so I'd venture to
guess that your install is incomplete or mixed-up between old and new
somehow.  Try a 'make clean' and check where Emacs picks up org-mode.

Regards
Achim.

* Re: Footnote export to LaTeX "wrong number of arguments" error
@ 2011-07-30 20:00   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-07-30 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>> Any suggestions? I have no idea what's going on...
>
> Neither have I, but your example exports OK for me, so I'd venture to
> guess that your install is incomplete or mixed-up between old and new
> somehow.  Try a 'make clean' and check where Emacs picks up org-mode.

I just redid make clean followed by make && make doc.

I'm puzzled by this, though:

,---
| M-x org-version
| Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.7.23.ge5faa)
`---

Is that 7.7 or 7.5 (I don't understand version vs. release)? I just
did a fresh pull this morning, so I figure it should be 7.7. Does this
look right or is emacs looking in the wrong place perhaps? My .emacs
has the following:

,---
| (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/contrib/scripts/")
| (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/contrib/lisp/")
| (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/lisp/")
`---

Anything stick out or suggestions of further checks?

Thanks,
John

@ 2011-07-30 20:01     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-07-30 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 3:00 PM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
>> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Any suggestions? I have no idea what's going on...
>>
>> Neither have I, but your example exports OK for me, so I'd venture to
>> guess that your install is incomplete or mixed-up between old and new
>> somehow.  Try a 'make clean' and check where Emacs picks up org-mode.
>>

> I just redid make clean followed by make && make doc.

Sorry that the other email didn't explicitly state... but that did
*not* fix the issue for me. Same error.

<snip>

@ 2011-07-30 20:20     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-07-30 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
> ,---
> | M-x org-version
> | Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.7.23.ge5faa)
> `---

That is strange, it looks like you've been picking up an old version of
org-mode that then finds the git version later on.

> Anything stick out or suggestions of further checks?

It looks like you're trying to use the work tree like an installed
org-mode.  In this case you should do this:

make cleanall
make all autoloads

…otherwise you'll be keeping around a stale copy of org-install.el
(whcih you probably require somewhere in .emacs).

HTH,
Achim.

* Re: Footnote export to LaTeX "wrong number of arguments" error
@ 2011-07-30 20:31       ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-07-30 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>> ,---
>> | M-x org-version
>> | Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.7.23.ge5faa)
>> `---
>
> That is strange, it looks like you've been picking up an old version of
> org-mode that then finds the git version later on.
>
>> Anything stick out or suggestions of further checks?
>
> It looks like you're trying to use the work tree like an installed
> org-mode.  In this case you should do this:

Correct, I don't re-install to the system tree in /usr/share/..., I
just use a local folder in ~/.elisp.

> make cleanall
> make all autoloads

Did that, same issue. It actually said nothing to be done for make all
autoloads. One thing of note, though... the error features this:

,---
| ("/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-footnote.elc" . 6816)], 1
`---

I noted that for some reason it's pulling from /usr/share/emacs.../
and not ~/.elisp/org.git, despite my setting in .emacs. What did I do
wrong in setting that?

Thanks,
John

@ 2011-07-30 20:34 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-07-30 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> ---------
> Export buffer:
> Exporting to PDF...
> Exporting to LaTeX...
> org-export-as-latex: Wrong number of arguments: #[nil "Æ~ebÇ
> ÆÈ#)ÉÆÊ
>
>        \"*
>           Ë\"
> ÆÈ#\\ÌÆÊ     ebÇ
>
>         \"*IÉÆÊ
>
>                \"*Í,Ë\",*	*" [l rtn org-footnote-definition-re string
> num org-footnote-re nil re-search-forward t 2 ...] 5
> ("/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-footnote.elc" . 6816)], 1

One of your followup mail says this

,---
| (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/contrib/scripts/")
| (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/contrib/lisp/")
| (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/lisp/")
`---

This is inconsistent with the last line of the error trace (seen above)

,----
| ("/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-footnote.elc" . 6816)], 1
`----

Do M-x locate-library RET org-footnote RET and make sure that nothing is
amiss.

Jambuanthan K.

* Re: Footnote export to LaTeX "wrong number of arguments" error
@ 2011-07-30 20:38         ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-07-30 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

> Did that, same issue. It actually said nothing to be done for make all
> autoloads. One thing of note, though... the error features this:
>
> ,---
> | ("/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-footnote.elc" . 6816)], 1
> `---
>
> I noted that for some reason it's pulling from /usr/share/emacs.../
> and not ~/.elisp/org.git, despite my setting in .emacs. What did I do
> wrong in setting that?

Do a M-x locate-library RET org-install RET and see what happens?

What does M-: load-path report?

@ 2011-07-30 20:45           ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-07-30 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

2011/7/30 Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com>:
>> Did that, same issue. It actually said nothing to be done for make all
>> autoloads. One thing of note, though... the error features this:
>>
>> ,---
>> | ("/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-footnote.elc" . 6816)], 1
>> `---
>>
>> I noted that for some reason it's pulling from /usr/share/emacs.../
>> and not ~/.elisp/org.git, despite my setting in .emacs. What did I do
>> wrong in setting that?
>
> Do a M-x locate-library RET org-install RET and see what happens?
>
> What does M-: load-path report?

Grrrrrr. So stupid, but 90% of my problems are, so I guess I shouldn't
be surprised.

Looking back through my .emacs, I *couldn't believe* that I saw
(require 'org-install) *above* my load path settings!! I guess I don't
use org-mode nearly as much at home (this is on my personal computer)
vs. work and it's been like this all along. How crazy.

Now, however, I'm getting the same problem as reported here, except
not when I try to open links, but when I try to export to pdf via
LaTeX:
--- http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg44866.html

,---
| Symbol's value as variable is void: org-babel-inline-src-block-regexp
`---

I've done make clean && make && make doc about 10 times today already,
including Achim's suggestion of make cleanall & & make all autoloads.

Why might this be happening?

Thanks again for persisting. Sorry the answer to the original problem
wasn't more satisfying.

John

@ 2011-07-30 21:07             ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-07-30 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

> Now, however, I'm getting the same problem as reported here, except
> not when I try to open links, but when I try to export to pdf via
> LaTeX:
> --- http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg44866.html
>
> ,---
> | Symbol's value as variable is void: org-babel-inline-src-block-regexp
> `---
>
> I've done make clean && make && make doc about 10 times today already,
> including Achim's suggestion of make cleanall & & make all autoloads.

1. Does it work after doing make clean?
2. Does it work with release_7.7?

  $ git reset --hard release_7.7

If it works with both 1 & 2 then (may be) Eric's recent checkin is
causing this regression.

ps: My elisp-fu is quite weak to understand Eric's recent changes.

Jambunathan K.

* Re: Footnote export to LaTeX "wrong number of arguments" error
@ 2011-07-30 21:17               ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-07-30 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Now, however, I'm getting the same problem as reported here, except
>> not when I try to open links, but when I try to export to pdf via
>> LaTeX:
>> --- http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg44866.html
>>
>> ,---
>> | Symbol's value as variable is void: org-babel-inline-src-block-regexp
>> `---
>>
>> I've done make clean && make && make doc about 10 times today already,
>> including Achim's suggestion of make cleanall & & make all autoloads.
>

> 1. Does it work after doing make clean?

Surprisingly (to me at least), this does work. The current git tree
after make clean exports fine.

> 2. Does it work with release_7.7?
>
>  $ git reset --hard release_7.7

This also works.

I'll respond to the other thread about C-c C-o as well.

Thanks for the help!
John

@ 2011-07-30 21:26               ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-07-30 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> I've done make clean && make && make doc about 10 times today already,
>> including Achim's suggestion of make cleanall & & make all autoloads.

Just to be clear, the latter suggestion is only needed if you never use
"make install", which would refresh org-install.el.

> 1. Does it work after doing make clean?

This does not remove org-install.el when it is already present.  You
must use 'make cleanall' to remove it.

> 2. Does it work with release_7.7?
>
>   $ git reset --hard release_7.7
>
> If it works with both 1 & 2 then (may be) Eric's recent checkin is
> causing this regression.

I've tested John's document on the latest Git head that includes this
commit.  I'm getting the feeling that John might have customized the
load-path in more than one place and that add-to-list might not
prepending the entries as he assumes since they are already present in
load-path.  Something like

(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/.elisp/org.git/lisp") load-path))

should be more robust in this case.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Footnote export to LaTeX "wrong number of arguments" error
@ 2011-07-30 21:34                 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-07-30 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:
>>> I've done make clean && make && make doc about 10 times today already,
>>> including Achim's suggestion of make cleanall & & make all autoloads.
>
> Just to be clear, the latter suggestion is only needed if you never use
> "make install", which would refresh org-install.el.
>

>> 1. Does it work after doing make clean?
>
> This does not remove org-install.el when it is already present.  You
> must use 'make cleanall' to remove it.

No idea. All I can confirm is that:

- git pull
- make clean && make

behaves differently than:

- git pull
- make clean

>> 2. Does it work with release_7.7?
>>
>>   $ git reset --hard release_7.7
>>
>> If it works with both 1 & 2 then (may be) Eric's recent checkin is
>> causing this regression.
>
> I've tested John's document on the latest Git head that includes this
> commit.  I'm getting the feeling that John might have customized the
> load-path in more than one place and that add-to-list might not
> prepending the entries as he assumes since they are already present in
> load-path.  Something like

Also no idea. I have used the same method for loading paths and never
had a problem before. Let me know what you think of my config here:
http://pastebin.com/ztvgMFFd

Also, I never posted in response to Jambunathan's request:

,---
| M-: load-path
| ("~/.elisp/org.git/lisp/" "~/.elisp/site-lisp/"
"~/.elisp/org.git/contrib/lisp/" "~/.elisp/org.git/contrib/scripts/"
| "/usr/share/emacs/23.3/site-lisp" "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp"
"/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp"
| "/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/url" "/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/textmodes"
| "/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/progmodes" "/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/play"
| "/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/org" ...)
`---

Let me know if anything looks awry here.

Thanks again,
John

@ 2011-07-30 21:39                   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-07-30 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
> No idea. All I can confirm is that:
>
> - git pull
> - make clean && make
>
> behaves differently than:
>
> - git pull
> - make clean

What is prefix set to in your Makefile?

> Also, I never posted in response to Jambunathan's request:
>
> ,---
> | M-: load-path
> | ("~/.elisp/org.git/lisp/" "~/.elisp/site-lisp/"
> "~/.elisp/org.git/contrib/lisp/" "~/.elisp/org.git/contrib/scripts/"
> | "/usr/share/emacs/23.3/site-lisp" "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp"
> "/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp"
> | "/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/url" "/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/textmodes"
> | "/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/progmodes" "/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/play"
> | "/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/org" ...)
> `---
>
> Let me know if anything looks awry here.

Looks good.  However I see you're using Emacs23 while I'm using Emacs24,
so I'll try it with the other version tomorrow.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Footnote export to LaTeX "wrong number of arguments" error
@ 2011-07-30 21:42                     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-07-30 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>> No idea. All I can confirm is that:
>>
>> - git pull
>> - make clean && make
>>
>> behaves differently than:
>>
>> - git pull
>> - make clean
>
> What is prefix set to in your Makefile?

,---
| # Where local software is found
| prefix=/usr/local
|
| # Where local lisp files go.
| lispdir   = $(prefix)/share/emacs/site-lisp
`---

Would this have an effect if I don't ever run 'make install'?

>> Also, I never posted in response to Jambunathan's request:
>>
>> ,---
>> | M-: load-path
>> | ("~/.elisp/org.git/lisp/" "~/.elisp/site-lisp/"
>> "~/.elisp/org.git/contrib/lisp/" "~/.elisp/org.git/contrib/scripts/"
>> | "/usr/share/emacs/23.3/site-lisp" "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp"
>> "/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp"
>> | "/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/url" "/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/textmodes"
>> | "/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/progmodes" "/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/play"
>> | "/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/org" ...)
>> `---
>>
>> Let me know if anything looks awry here.
>
> Looks good.  However I see you're using Emacs23 while I'm using Emacs24,
> so I'll try it with the other version tomorrow.

I appreciate it.

John

> Regards,
> Achim.
> --
> +<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+
>
> Factory and User Sound Singles for Waldorf Blofeld:
> http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSounds

* Re: [PATCH] Footnote export to LaTeX "wrong number of arguments" error
@ 2011-07-31  9:07                       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-07-31  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
> Would this have an effect if I don't ever run 'make install'?

Since it is added to the load-path during compile it might have
undesirable side-effects if an older org-mode resides at that path.

But, I'm now getting these errors too since I have started Emacs
freshly.  The offending commit is 9ff7f80f51a by Eric Schulte, where he
wraps the defvar definition into eval-when-compile.  This change defines
the variable during compile and gets rid of that error, but then it is
not defined when loading org-mode the first time.  If you do an
org-reload this is rectified (which is why I didn't see the error
yesterday.

The original error during compile-time comes from using the variable in
a macro expansion.  I don't think this is the right thing to do since we
would not want to expand the variable at compile time (it would not be
variable anymore after compilation).  The attached patch seems to
correct this for me.

[-- Attachment #2: 0001-Prevent-runtime-error-introduced-by-commit-9ff7f80f5.patch --]

From f22e8eb7d7cced676471268a2eb7d69ad8e3e1b8 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@Stromeko.DE>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 10:53:54 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] Prevent runtime error introduced by commit 9ff7f80f51a

    * lisp/ob.el (defvar): revert wrapping into eval-when-compile since it
      makes the variable non-existent during initial load.
    * lisp/ob.el (org-babel-map-inline-src-blocks): un-comma use of
      variable org-babel-inline-src-block-regexp, since we don't want
      to expand it at compile-time

TINYCHANGE
---
 lisp/ob.el |   21 ++++++++++-----------

diff --git a/lisp/ob.el b/lisp/ob.el
index 4961ceb..c5a877d 100644
--- a/lisp/ob.el
+++ b/lisp/ob.el
@@ -141,16 +141,15 @@ remove code block execution from the C-c C-c keybinding."
    "\\([^\000]*?\n\\)?[ \t]*#\\+end_src")
   "Regexp used to identify code blocks.")

-(eval-when-compile
-  (defvar org-babel-inline-src-block-regexp
-    (concat
-     ;; (1) replacement target (2) lang
-     "[^-[:alnum:]]\\(src_\\([^ \f\t\n\r\v]+\\)"
-     ;; (3,4) (unused, headers)
-     "\\(\\|\\[\\(.*?\\)\\]\\)"
-     ;; (5) body
-     "{\\([^\f\n\r\v]+?\\)}\\)")
-    "Regexp used to identify inline src-blocks."))
+(defvar org-babel-inline-src-block-regexp
+  (concat
+   ;; (1) replacement target (2) lang
+   "[^-[:alnum:]]\\(src_\\([^ \f\t\n\r\v]+\\)"
+   ;; (3,4) (unused, headers)
+   "\\(\\|\\[\\(.*?\\)\\]\\)"
+   ;; (5) body
+   "{\\([^\f\n\r\v]+?\\)}\\)")
+  "Regexp used to identify inline src-blocks.")

 (defun org-babel-get-header (params key &optional others)
   "Select only header argument of type KEY from a list.
@@ -750,7 +749,7 @@ buffer."
 If FILE is nil evaluate BODY forms on source blocks in current
 buffer."
   (declare (indent 1))
-  `(org-babel-map-regexp ,org-babel-inline-src-block-regexp ,file ,@body))
+  `(org-babel-map-regexp org-babel-inline-src-block-regexp ,file ,@body))

 ;;;###autoload
 (defun org-babel-execute-buffer (&optional arg)
--
1.7.6

Let us know if that fixes things for you and I'll let Eric decide if he
pushes that patch or something different, depending on what he really
wanted to do.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: [PATCH] Footnote export to LaTeX "wrong number of arguments" error
@ 2011-08-01 14:11                         ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-08-01 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 4:07 AM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>> Would this have an effect if I don't ever run 'make install'?
>
> Since it is added to the load-path during compile it might have
> undesirable side-effects if an older org-mode resides at that path.
>
> But, I'm now getting these errors too since I have started Emacs
> freshly.  The offending commit is 9ff7f80f51a by Eric Schulte, where he
> wraps the defvar definition into eval-when-compile.  This change defines
> the variable during compile and gets rid of that error, but then it is
> not defined when loading org-mode the first time.  If you do an
> org-reload this is rectified (which is why I didn't see the error
> yesterday.
>
> The original error during compile-time comes from using the variable in
> a macro expansion.  I don't think this is the right thing to do since we
> would not want to expand the variable at compile time (it would not be
> variable anymore after compilation).  The attached patch seems to
> correct this for me.
>

> Let us know if that fixes things for you and I'll let Eric decide if he
> pushes that patch or something different, depending on what he really
> wanted to do.

Thanks for the checking on this. Yes, M-x org-reload fixes this for
me. No exporting the first time, reload, then successful export the
second time with  no error about the babel variable.

Thanks for all your work,
John