* Variable naming (old vs new exporter)
@ 2012-06-05 13:02 Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-06-05 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

A quick question about the future of the exporters:

when the new exporter will be (more) integrated into Org,

- will the old ones be removed?

- will the packages be renamed?

- will the variables be renamed (for example, from
  `org-e-html-preamble-format' to `org-html-preamble-format')?

Just to know whether we have to duplicate variables during this transition
period (if we want to use both with the same outputs) or not.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Variable naming (old vs new exporter)
@ 2012-06-07 19:55 ` Nicolas Goaziou
       [not found]   ` <CAJcAo8t7HMwBDa7c2+8bxQOc38d8piW6pJ+dFCD_-umwy=scBw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-06-07 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

"Sebastien Vauban"
<wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> A quick question about the future of the exporters:
>
> when the new exporter will be (more) integrated into Org,
>
> - will the old ones be removed?

Yes.

> - will the packages be renamed?

Yes.

> - will the variables be renamed (for example, from
>   `org-e-html-preamble-format' to `org-html-preamble-format')?

Yes.

Nicolas Goaziou

@ 2012-06-07 21:47     ` Nicolas Goaziou
       [not found]       ` <CAJcAo8vOmDu1KXC_za26mVcFY=JCaWJhHmuCiwPNC_VzcO4q3w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-06-07 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ, Sebastien Vauban

> My understanding from Bastien is that the old exporters will still be
> fully usable (my concerns are HTML and ASCII)?  Is this yours,
> Nicolas?

No. When they are ready, they will completely replace old
exporters. Only old exporters with no equivalent back-end for new export
engine will be preserved.

Nicolas Goaziou

@ 2012-06-08  8:38   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-06-08  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> "Sebastien Vauban" writes:
>
>> A quick question about the future of the exporters:
>>
>> when the new exporter will be (more) integrated into Org,
>>
>> - will the old ones be removed?
>
> Yes.
>
>> - will the packages be renamed?
>
> Yes.
>
>> - will the variables be renamed (for example, from
>>   `org-e-html-preamble-format' to `org-html-preamble-format')?
>
> Yes.

Thanks for those clarifications!

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2012-06-08 12:57         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-06-08 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ, Sebastien Vauban

> On 6/7/12, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
>> No. When they are ready, they will completely replace old
>> exporters. Only old exporters with no equivalent back-end for new export
>> engine will be preserved.
>
> Here is my earlier question on this topic and Bastien's answer.  I
> recognize that "as backward compatible as possible" is open to
> interpretation, but I find your answer to be possibly requiring me to
> stop upgrading Org.
>
> ===
>
>> While the new exporter has advantages, I hope the old exporter will
>> still be available for a long time.  I will need it for various
>> purposes, including speed -- I use it for an exact word counter that
>> works flawlessly -- and some design differences from the new exporter.
>>  (Also the new exporter does not currently work on 22.)
>
> Good to know.  We will try to keep things as backward compatible as
> possible.  There is no plan to destroy existing code anyway.

You may want to send your word count function so we can see how you can
integrate it in the new exporter engine.

About Emacs 22, I cannot help much as I have uninstalled it years
ago. Since there is no exotic code in org-export.el, solving the problem
could be as simple as adding a defalias in org-compat.el. But you'll
have to debug it yourself.

Nicolas Goaziou