* [babel] Globally assigning a value to a variable
@ 2011-10-21 18:55 Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-10-21 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

#+PROPERTY:  var myvar="original"

* Overview

I would like to test a global variable assignment (just done here above) and
local ones (on the code block itself). It seems that the global value is not
"known". Though, maybe, I don't understand it fully yet.

* Test code

** Using the local var

  #+srcname: test-local
  #+begin_src sh :var myvar="canada-dry"
  echo $myvar
  #+end_src

  #+results: test-local
  : canada-dry

** Using the global var

I'm not passing anymore a local value, hence expecting the "global" value to
be used:

  #+srcname: test-global
  #+begin_src sh :var anothervar="canada-dry"
  echo $myvar
  #+end_src

  #+results: test-global
  (no output)

Am I understanding correctly how it works / should work?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: [babel] Globally assigning a value to a variable
@ 2011-10-21 19:22 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-10-21 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Sebastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> wrote:

> #+PROPERTY:  var myvar="original"
>
> * Overview
>
> I would like to test a global variable assignment (just done here above) and
> local ones (on the code block itself). It seems that the global value is not
> "known". Though, maybe, I don't understand it fully yet.
>
> * Test code
>
> ** Using the local var
>
>   #+srcname: test-local
>   #+begin_src sh :var myvar="canada-dry"
>   echo $myvar
>   #+end_src
>
>   #+results: test-local
>   : canada-dry
>
> ** Using the global var
>
> I'm not passing anymore a local value, hence expecting the "global" value to
> be used:
>
>   #+srcname: test-global
>   #+begin_src sh :var anothervar="canada-dry"
>   echo $myvar
>   #+end_src
>
>   #+results: test-global
>   (no output)
>
> Am I understanding correctly how it works / should work?

I think so and it works for me. Does C-c C-c on the #+PROPERTY: line and
reevaluating the block help?

Nick

* Re: [babel] Globally assigning a value to a variable
@ 2011-10-21 19:27   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-10-21 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Nick,

Nick Dokos wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> #+PROPERTY:  var myvar="original"
>>
>> * Overview
>>
>> I would like to test a global variable assignment (just done here above) and
>> local ones (on the code block itself). It seems that the global value is not
>> "known". Though, maybe, I don't understand it fully yet.
>>
>> * Test code
>>
>> ** Using the local var
>>
>>   #+srcname: test-local
>>   #+begin_src sh :var myvar="canada-dry"
>>   echo $myvar
>>   #+end_src
>>
>>   #+results: test-local
>>   : canada-dry
>>
>> ** Using the global var
>>
>> I'm not passing anymore a local value, hence expecting the "global" value to
>> be used:
>>
>>   #+srcname: test-global
>>   #+begin_src sh :var anothervar="canada-dry"
>>   echo $myvar
>>   #+end_src
>>
>>   #+results: test-global
>>   (no output)
>>
>> Am I understanding correctly how it works / should work?
>
> I think so and it works for me.

Thanks for testing.

> Does C-c C-c on the #+PROPERTY: line and reevaluating the block help?

Of course, I just missed that. Thanks, and sorry for the noise...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban