From: "Xianwen Chen (陈贤文)" <xianwen.chen@gmail.com>
To: Diego Zamboni <diego@zzamboni.org>
Cc: Org-mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>, "Christine Köhn" <christine@chark.eu>
Subject: Re: Exam LaTeX class
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 16:33:07 +0000	[thread overview]

Dear Diego,

Gracias!

I slightly modified your solution.

I added the #+INCLUDE line to the end of #+LATEX_HEADER, because then it
will overwrite any previous \printanswers and \noprintanswers defined in
the HEADER.

#+TITLE:...

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{hyperref}
#+INCLUDE: ./latex-exam-printanswers-switch.org

I used the file name latex-exam-printanswers-switch.org, instead of
printanswers.org, because it gives a better indication of what it does.

I used your function as it was, except that I changed the function name
and updated the switch org file.

(defun org-latex-export-to-pdf-exam ()
   (interactive)
   (write-region "#+LATEX_HEADER: \\printanswers" nil
"latex-exam-printanswers-switch.org")
   (org-latex-export-to-pdf)
   (rename-file (org-export-output-file-name ".pdf")
(org-export-output-file-name "-with_answers.pdf"))
   (write-region "" nil "latex-exam-printanswers-switch.org")
   (org-latex-export-to-pdf)
)

It works very fine!

Have a nice Easter!

Yours sincerely,

Xianwen

On 2021-03-24 13:16, Diego Zamboni wrote:

> Hi Xianwen,
>
> I think the easiest way to conditionally include text in the preamble
> of the document would be by including a file which can be empty
> sometimes, and contain the appropriate text when needed. For example,
> you could have something like this in your Org file:
>
>> #+include: ./printanswers.org [1]
>> #+TITLE: Test
>
> Then the following function will automatically export the file twice,
> one with the \printanswers command inserted then rename the resulting
> file, and export again without:
>
>> (defun org-latex-export-exams ()
>> (interactive)
>> (write-region "#+latex_header: \\printanswers" nil "printanswers.org
>> [1]")
>> (org-latex-export-to-pdf)
>> (rename-file (org-export-output-file-name ".pdf")
>> (org-export-output-file-name "-with_answers.pdf"))
>> (write-region "" nil "printanswers.org [1]")
>> (org-latex-export-to-pdf))
>
> You can then run M-x org-latex-export-exams to generate both files.
>
> Hope this helps,
> --Diego
>
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 11:21 AM Xianwen Chen (陈贤文)
> <xianwen.chen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Christine (and CC list),
>
> Thank you!
>
> On 2021-03-19 10:13, Christine Köhn wrote:
> Here is one way to do the latex part. You could pass a jobname to
> latex.
>
> I have this
>
> \IfEndWith*{\jobname}{withsolution}{%
> \usepackage{todonotes}
> \printanswers
> }{\usepackage[disable]{todonotes}}
>
> in a myexam.sty file to switch between modes (with or without solutions
> and todo notes) and use it in the latex file with
>
> \usepackage{myexam}
>
> You could add your own latex class to org-latex-classes and add this
> line there.
>
> The jobname has to be passed to latex with something like -jobname
> withsolution if you want it to be with solutions. I use a Makefile for
> this purpose which calls latexmk
>
> latexmk -pdf -pdflatex="pdflatex --interaction=errorstopmode" -use-make
>
> and adds -jobname=$(basename $@) if asked to create a pdf ending with
> withsolution.pdf. I can send you the Makefile if you're interested.
>
> That's very interesting way to solve the problem using LaTeX. Thank you
> for sharing this. At the moment I'm leaning more towards solving it
> using emacs lisp.
>
> To use the jobname from within orgmode, you'll have to change
> org-latex-pdf-process to use the jobname if needed. I think one way to
> achieve this is to add a new export backend which is derived from latex
> (see org-export-define-derived-backend) and which sets
> org-latex-pdf-process accordingly (and resets it afterwards).
>
> Thank you again. I'm thinking of a function like following. I'm using
> comments to express the programming detail that I don't know how to do
> yet.

> [...]

Links:
------
[1] http://printanswers.org