* bad habit (deleting elipses in folded tree)
@ 2009-09-01  9:32 Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2009-09-01  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I have a bad habit.  How can I defeat it?

Often an elipsis ("...") is seen at the bottom of a new entry from a
remember template.  I find myself deleting them, compulsively.  I'm not so
sure, but I THINK that sometimes this is ok, and I now am afraid I have
discovered that at some times a whole bunch of pre-exiisting entries are
deleted when I delete the elipsis.

What's the scoop about elipses?  Which variables are relevant?  Can I defeat
this habit by reconfiguring, or do I have to force myself to have better
habits?

Thank you,

Alan Davis

You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world,  but when
you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird...
So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing---that's what counts.

   ----Richard Feynman

* Re: bad habit (deleting elipses in folded tree)
@ 2009-09-01 12:24 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-09-01 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan E. Davis; +Cc: org-mode

I would NEVER EVER EVER delete naked ellipses, this is dangerous.

Press `C-c C-r' in their vicinity, this should hopefully fix the
problem.  Otherwise, `M-x show-all' will always do the trick.

- Carsten

@ 2009-09-01 13:36   ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2009-09-01 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode

> I would NEVER EVER EVER delete naked ellipses, this is dangerous.

If Carsten's capital letters don't cure you of the habit, I don't know
what will. :-)

Seriously, try to train yourself to think of those ellipses, as code
for "everything productive you did in Emacs over the last excruciating
hour"  'cause that's what they (sometimes) stand for.

Always glad to be of help.

* Re: bad habit (deleting elipses in folded tree)
@ 2009-09-01 20:49 ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2009-09-01 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan E. Davis; +Cc: org-mode

El mar, sep 01 2009 a les 11:32, Alan E. Davis va escriure:
> What's the scoop about elipses?  Which variables are relevant?  Can I defeat
> this habit by reconfiguring, or do I have to force myself to have better
> habits?

  You can change how the ellipsis look so that you are more careful and don't confuse them with 3 normal dots which could appear anywhere...

  For instance:
 (setq org-ellipsis "〖 ✎ 〗")

  Or just give it a more visible face, like in:
(setq org-ellipsis (quote org-column))

  I use another face and I don't attempt anymore to delete hidden text. [1]
  In addition I use … to write ellipsis myself, thus I notice the difference between … and ...

-- Daniel

[1] I only do it when I hit some org-mode bug which allows you to edit invisible text while it still shows the ellipsis; this happens specially at the end of buffers (narrowed or not).

* Re: bad habit (deleting elipses in folded tree)
@ 2009-09-01 21:54   ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2009-09-01 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Clemente; +Cc: org-mode