* feature request: org-patch command
@ 2008-10-26  4:25 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2008-10-26  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

To make it easier to patch correctly, perhaps it would help if you
could visit an org file, and simply call an org-patch command that
would do something like this:

  - create a directory as a sibling to the org source dir if it does not exist
  - put the original and a copy in it
  - remind the user to put it in load-path in front of org
  - let you edit the copy
  - give you hints on org coding style
  - remind you to use short functions that do only one thing
  - tell you how to instrument for testing
  - remind you of gnu requirements
  - tell you to run org-patch-diff to create a temporary buffer with
the correct diff output

At least, if I wanted to, say, correct a typo in an org function, I
wouldn't bother unless I could do it this easily, for fear of getting
it wrong.

* Re: feature request: org-patch command
@ 2008-10-26  4:29 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2008-10-26  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Now that I think of it, most of this is useful for emacs in general.
Perhaps something already exists that is this easy?

* Re: feature request: org-patch command
@ 2008-10-26  6:32 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-26  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

it seems to me that people who want to create patches regularly would
live much better if they'd use a versioning system to create these
patches.  What you describe is more a facility for the casual patch
producer, which are the people who usually don't write patches.

- Carsten