* a small idea for repeating tasks
@ 2009-06-26  3:55 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-06-26  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When you try to mark a repeating task done, org appears to
change it to the first item in org-todo-keywords.  Many
people have "TODO" there.  This appears to conflict with other uses of
that variable, as it also determines sort order and cycle order.

Perhaps a new variable can contain the todo keyword that
should be used when a repeating task is marked done.

Then it doesn't matter what sort order you use.

Thanks.

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialism is causing death and severe suffering,
worse than MS.  Conflicts of interest are destroying research.  /You/ can

* Re: a small idea for repeating tasks
@ 2009-06-26  4:15 ` Charles Cave
From: Charles Cave @ 2009-06-26  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Samuel Wales <samologist <at> gmail.com> writes:

> When you try to mark a repeating task done, org appears to
> change it to the first item in org-todo-keywords.  Many
> people have "TODO" there.  This appears to conflict with other uses of
> that variable, as it also determines sort order and cycle order.

I noticed this as well.  My configuration has:

#+SEQ_TODO: TODO(t) STARTED(s) REPEAT(r) WAITING(w) APPT(a) | DONE(d)
CANCELLED(c) DEFERRED(f)

I set up repeating tasks with a keyword of REPEAT (to exclude from
TODO lists) but as you observed, changing to done resets the keyword
to REPEAT.

Perhaps the functionality of changing to DONE needs to remember
what the state was before changing to DONE?

Charles

* Re: a small idea for repeating tasks
@ 2009-06-26  4:47   ` Charles Cave
From: Charles Cave @ 2009-06-26  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I meant it changes it back to TODO, not REPEAT

* Re: a small idea for repeating tasks
@ 2009-06-26  7:52 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-26  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 26, 2009, at 5:55 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> When you try to mark a repeating task done, org appears to
> change it to the first item in org-todo-keywords.  Many
> people have "TODO" there.  This appears to conflict with other uses of
> that variable, as it also determines sort order and cycle order.
>
> Perhaps a new variable can contain the todo keyword that
> should be used when a repeating task is marked done.
>
> Then it doesn't matter what sort order you use.
>
> Thanks.

This is because you have set up your TODO keywords as `sequence',
not as `type'.  So the repeater assumes that this is a sequence
of states that should be repeated.

If you did

#+TYP_TODO: TODO(t) STARTED(s) REPEAT(r) WAITING(w) APPT(a) | DONE(d)
CANCELLED(c) DEFERRED(f)

this would work as you expect.

Type or sequence make a difference only in two situations:

1. When the repeater rests an entry
2. When you press C-c C-t and *don't* use fast access keys
    to TODO states.  Then `C-c C-t' will jump directly to DONE
    from any not-done state.

Sounds pretty consistent to me.

I guess we could have a property to force a particular repeat state
where needed....

- Carsten

@ 2009-06-26 16:39   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-06-26 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)