* org-capture and blank lines
@ 2010-09-03  3:48 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2010-09-03  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for org-capture.  It is superb.

I think I have only been able to find one suggestion for it.
Currently, cancelling leaves a blank line.  Maybe there is a way to
fix that?  Do I need to provide details?

It is also tempting to make (kill-buffer nil) ask you if you want to
cancel the capture.

Samuel

--
Q: How many CDC "scientists" does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: "You only think it's dark." [CDC has denied a deadly serious

* Re: org-capture and blank lines
@ 2010-09-03  6:00 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-09-03  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 3, 2010, at 5:48 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> Thanks for org-capture.  It is superb.
>
> I think I have only been able to find one suggestion for it.
> Currently, cancelling leaves a blank line.  Maybe there is a way to
> fix that?  Do I need to provide details?

Hi Samuel,

this is not easy to fix.  I need to insert one empty line to
make sure that the user does not by accident remove the final newline
and in this way deactivate the following headline.

Then, at kill time, when I am cleaning up, it is hard to tell if there
was an empty line originally....

So the current procedure is safer and I will keep it like this.

> It is also tempting to make (kill-buffer nil) ask you if you want to
> cancel the capture.

How do you call (kill-buffer nil) ?

If you have a special key for this, you can bind it in
org-capture-mode-map to org-capture-kill.  If you are using the
interactive
version of `kill-buffer', I don't think it is a good idea to change
this because
users will expect the buffer name prompt at that point.

- Carsten

* Re: org-capture and blank lines
@ 2010-09-03  6:56   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2010-09-03  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi C,

Thanks for your reply.

On 2010-09-02, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> Then, at kill time, when I am cleaning up, it is hard to tell if there
> was an empty line originally....

In my case, there is never one, FWIW.  I.e. the following never
happens deliberately.

  * target

  ** new entry

Nor this.

  * target
  text

  ** new entry

So in principle it's OK to clean it up for users like me, in case you
decide to make that optional.  I'd enable that.

In any case, again, capture is superb.  Safe and fast.

* Re: org-capture and blank lines
@ 2010-09-03  7:19     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-09-03  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 3, 2010, at 8:56 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> Hi C,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> On 2010-09-02, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Then, at kill time, when I am cleaning up, it is hard to tell if
>> there
>> was an empty line originally....
>
> In my case, there is never one, FWIW.  I.e. the following never
> happens deliberately.
>
>  * target
>
>  ** new entry
>
> Nor this.
>
>  * target
>  text
>
>  ** new entry
>
> So in principle it's OK to clean it up for users like me, in case you
> decide to make that optional.  I'd enable that.

Well, maybe I can do some more work on this.  We'll see.

> In any case, again, capture is superb.  Safe and fast.

You contriburted an important idea to this imnplementation....

- Carsten