* How to define repeating events that do not show up after there dates are passed?
@ 2011-11-09 21:51 Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2011-11-09 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs help

Hi,

Recently, Jan explained to me the difference about a <date> and a "SCHEDULED: <date>"; see http://osdir.com/ml/emacs-orgmode-gnu/2011-11/msg00200.html

I'm wondering about what is the best way to put in repeating events in org-mode. For example, image you visit your friends every Thursday at 16:00. Now putting the event in as

TODO Visit friends
SCHEDULED: <2011-11-10 Thu +1w>

Now if I fire up C-c a L, I see that visit/meeting for this Thursday and also for the following Thursday. However, it also appears when doing C-c a a on Friday, namely as an event that happened in the past (on Thu) and which is still scheduled. So for this repeating event, I don't want it to appear on Friday as something I forgot on Thursday.
Well, then one shouldn't (?) use SCHEDULED. Okay, so just put it in like this:

TODO Visit friends
<2011-11-10 Thu +1w>

Now on Friday it does not appear anymore. However, if I fire up C-c a L it also disappeared showing "[... 12 empty days omitted]" although on the Thursdays  within the 12 days, there's clearly the meeting with the friends.... So getting "12 empty days" is not right, since I actually have a meeting on Thursdays...

How can I put in repeating events so that they show up on C-c a L but they shouldn't show up after the corresponding date passed?

Cheers,

Marius

* Re: How to define repeating events that do not show up after there dates are passed?
@ 2011-11-09 22:01 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-11-09 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Hofert; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Emacs help

Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently, Jan explained to me the difference about a <date> and a
> "SCHEDULED: <date>"; see
> http://osdir.com/ml/emacs-orgmode-gnu/2011-11/msg00200.html
>
> I'm wondering about what is the best way to put in repeating events in
> org-mode. For example, image you visit your friends every Thursday at
> 16:00. Now putting the event in as
>
> TODO Visit friends
> SCHEDULED: <2011-11-10 Thu +1w>
>
> Now if I fire up C-c a L, I see that visit/meeting for this Thursday
> and also for the following Thursday. However, it also appears when
> doing C-c a a on Friday, namely as an event that happened in the past
> (on Thu) and which is still scheduled. So for this repeating event, I
> don't want it to appear on Friday as something I forgot on Thursday.
> Well, then one shouldn't (?) use SCHEDULED. Okay, so just put it in
> like this:
>
> TODO Visit friends
> <2011-11-10 Thu +1w>
>
> Now on Friday it does not appear anymore. However, if I fire up C-c a
> L it also disappeared showing "[... 12 empty days omitted]" although
> on the Thursdays within the 12 days, there's clearly the meeting with
> the friends.... So getting "12 empty days" is not right, since I
> actually have a meeting on Thursdays...
>
> How can I put in repeating events so that they show up on C-c a L but
> they shouldn't show up after the corresponding date passed?

The timeline functionality is, if not obsolete, a second-class citizen in org.
see Carsten's history lesson at

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/39368/focus=40038

Nick

* Re: How to define repeating events that do not show up after there dates are passed?
@ 2011-11-09 22:14   ` Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2011-11-09 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Emacs help

> The timeline functionality is, if not obsolete, a second-class citizen in org.
> see Carsten's history lesson at
>
>    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/39368/focus=40038

Very interesting link, thanks Nick.

Cheers,