* FILETAGS documentation clarification
@ 2009-09-04 16:13 PT
From: PT @ 2009-09-04 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I tried FILETAGS for the first time and it failed to work and it
took a while until I found out why.

I assumed orgfiles are scanned dynamically for filetags, so I
don't have to do anything just write it into the file. Turned out I
had to reload the file as well, because org cached filetag info.

I suggest adding a sidenote about it to this page for new users,
so they know filetags don't work automatically as soon as they
are inserted into the file:

http://orgmode.org/manual/Tag-inheritance.html

* Re: FILETAGS documentation clarification
@ 2009-09-04 20:32 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-09-04 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PT; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

PT <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> writes:

> I tried FILETAGS for the first time and it failed to work and it
> took a while until I found out why.
>
> I assumed orgfiles are scanned dynamically for filetags, so I
> don't have to do anything just write it into the file. Turned out I
> had to reload the file as well, because org cached filetag info.

Any time you change one of the in-buffer settings line (e.g.,
#+FILETAGS), you need to refresh the buffer by hitting C-c C-c on the
new or updated line. You don't have to reload the file.

Here's the information in the manual:

http://orgmode.org/manual/In_002dbuffer-settings.html

Best,
Matt

* Re: FILETAGS documentation clarification
@ 2009-09-04 20:47   ` PT
From: PT @ 2009-09-04 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Lundin <mdl <at> imapmail.org> writes:

> Any time you change one of the in-buffer settings line (e.g.,
> #+FILETAGS), you need to refresh the buffer by hitting C-c C-c on the
> new or updated line. You don't have to reload the file.
>
> Here's the information in the manual:
>
> http://orgmode.org/manual/In_002dbuffer-settings.html

Thanks, I haven't seen this page yet.

Maybe every mention of an in-buffer keyword should be a link to
the summary page you linked, so new users can quickly find this
info by clicking on the keyword. Just a thought.

* Re: Re: FILETAGS documentation clarification
@ 2009-09-05 11:54     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-09-05 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PT; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi PT,

On Sep 4, 2009, at 10:47 PM, PT wrote:

> Matt Lundin <mdl <at> imapmail.org> writes:
>>
>> Any time you change one of the in-buffer settings line (e.g.,
>> #+FILETAGS), you need to refresh the buffer by hitting C-c C-c on the
>> new or updated line. You don't have to reload the file.
>>
>> Here's the information in the manual:
>>
>> http://orgmode.org/manual/In_002dbuffer-settings.html
>>

> Thanks, I haven't seen this page yet.
>
> Maybe every mention of an in-buffer keyword should be a link to
> the summary page you linked, so new users can quickly find this
> info by clicking on the keyword. Just a thought.

I don't think this s possible.  But in *many* places of the manual
the fact that C-c C-c must be used to update in-buffer settings
is mentioned.

- Carsten