* Composing long tables
@ 2016-04-25 13:43 Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2016-04-25 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

It seems that a lot of users would like to be able to create tables with
multi-line cells in org-mode. Both HTML and LaTeX/PDF support this, so I
think it would be very useful to have a way to do this in org-mode
directly. One syntax that comes to mind would be to simply use a number
of "|" characters at the start of a line/paragraph to indicate the column:

| This is column 1
|| This is column 2, which might consist of a very long paragraph (or
even multiple paragraphs) would could automatically wrap when exporting
to LaTeX/PDF or to HTML (or to other table-friendly formats.)
||| This is column 3,

Admittedly this is not as readable as a table when editing in org-mode,
but it seems intuitively clear, and would certainly make creating tables
for export easier.

Just an idea. I'd welcome comments on this. (Note: I have nowhere near
the knowledge of lisp or org-mode implementation to be able to do this.)

Thanks,
-pd

--
----
Peter Davis

* Re: Composing long tables
@ 2016-04-25 14:30 Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2016-04-25 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:

> It seems that a lot of users would like to be able to create tables
> with multi-line cells in org-mode. Both HTML and LaTeX/PDF support
> this, so I think it would be very useful to have a way to do this in
> org-mode directly. One syntax that comes to mind would be to simply
> use a number of "|" characters at the start of a line/paragraph to
> indicate the column:
>
> | This is column 1
> || This is column 2, which might consist of a very long paragraph (or
> | even multiple paragraphs) would could automatically wrap when
> | exporting to LaTeX/PDF or to HTML (or to other table-friendly
> | formats.)
>
> Admittedly this is not as readable as a table when editing in org-mode, but it seems intuitively clear, and would certainly make creating tables for export easier.
>
> Just an idea. I'd welcome comments on this. (Note: I have nowhere near the knowledge of lisp or org-mode implementation to be able to do this.)

I think Thunderbird put in those extra "|" on the column 2 item. It should have been:

| This is column 1
|| This is column 2, which might consist of a very long paragraph (or even multiple paragraphs) would could automatically wrap when |exporting to LaTeX/PDF or to HTML (or to other table-friendly formats.)
||| This is column 3,

-pd

* Re: Composing long tables
@ 2016-04-25 14:33 Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2016-04-25 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:

> Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:
>
>> It seems that a lot of users would like to be able to create tables
>> with multi-line cells in org-mode. Both HTML and LaTeX/PDF support
>> this, so I think it would be very useful to have a way to do this in
>> org-mode directly. One syntax that comes to mind would be to simply
>> use a number of "|" characters at the start of a line/paragraph to
>> indicate the column:
>>
>> | This is column 1
>> | even multiple paragraphs) would could automatically wrap when
>> | exporting to LaTeX/PDF or to HTML (or to other table-friendly
>> | formats.)
>>
>> Admittedly this is not as readable as a table when editing in org-mode, but it seems intuitively clear, and would certainly make creating tables for export easier.
>>
>> Just an idea. I'd welcome comments on this. (Note: I have nowhere near the knowledge of lisp or org-mode implementation to be able to do this.)
>

> I think Thunderbird put in those extra "|" on the column 2 item. It should have been:
>
> | This is column 1
> || This is column 2, which might consist of a very long paragraph (or
> | even multiple paragraphs) would could automatically wrap when
> | |exporting to LaTeX/PDF or to HTML (or to other table-friendly
> | formats.)

Well crap, Gnus did the same thing. What I intended was that the entire "This is column 2 ... other table-friendly formats.)" be on
one line, with no hard breaks.

-pd