* HTML help needed
@ 2007-09-04  9:06 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-04  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode list

Hi,

orgmode.org is now really hosting the orgmode webpage (not just
redirecting to my University site.)

When I uploaded the site, a problem appeared:  The homepage now
renders without any margins to the left and to the right.
Can anyone here figure out why that is?

Thanks.

- Carsten

* RE: HTML help needed
@ 2007-09-04  9:29 ` Sprenger, Karel
From: Sprenger, Karel @ 2007-09-04  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik, org-mode list

Carsten,

I just loaded http://www.orgmode.org in firefox and IE6 and it showed
all right initially. After a little wile, though, the left and right
margins disappeared and the GoDaddy.com banner appeared on the top of
the page by means of the file a12.alphagodaddy.com_index.html. This
latter is the culprit as it starts with "<body style='MARGIN:0px;' >"
(after the opening html tag). I don't know how it gets loaded but it
probably is the price you pay for this free service.

Cheers,
Karel

@ 2007-09-04  9:54   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-04  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sprenger, Karel; +Cc: org-mode list

On Sep 4, 2007, at 11:29, Sprenger, Karel wrote:

> Carsten,
>
> I just loaded http://www.orgmode.org in firefox and IE6 and it showed
> all right initially. After a little wile, though, the left and right
> margins disappeared and the GoDaddy.com banner appeared on the top of
> the page by means of the file a12.alphagodaddy.com_index.html. This
> latter is the culprit as it starts with "<body style='MARGIN:0px;' >"
> (after the opening html tag). I don't know how it gets loaded but it
> probably is the price you pay for this free service.

Hi Karl, thanks.  Yes, I guess this is the price - an I have no problem
with it.  However, can I still enforce margins for "my" part?  How?

Thanks.

- Carsten

* Re: HTML help needed
@ 2007-09-04 10:03   ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2007-09-04 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode list

> the page by means of the file a12.alphagodaddy.com_index.html. This
> latter is the culprit as it starts with "<body style='MARGIN:0px;' >"
> (after the opening html tag). I don't know how it gets loaded but it
> probably is the price you pay for this free service.

   If so, try redefining the style for the „body" element. If
necessary add „!important" so that your rule overrides others.
body {margin: 5% !important;}

   (Or margin-left: 5% !important; margin-right: 5% !important; )
   To learn about !important and overriding rules look for „CSS
specifity" at the standard ot the web.

   Other solutions:
  - try the same thing with „padding" (that's like an internal margin
of an element)
  - try changing the margins of the „html" tag
  - hack: insert all the content on a <div> and apply styles there

   Correct also the HTML errors shown by http://validator.w3.org/
(eg: <link> element should be closed, also <link />, ...).
   That will be impossible since GoDaddy adds incorrect code to the
page (after </html>). If you really sent the XHTML as
application/xhtml+xml (which is the correct way), the page wouldn't
show. Sending it as text/html is also a hack. All are hacks...

   Greetings,
Daniel

* Re: HTML help needed
@ 2007-09-04 10:13     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-04 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Clemente; +Cc: org-mode list

On Sep 4, 2007, at 12:03, Daniel Clemente wrote:

>> the page by means of the file a12.alphagodaddy.com_index.html. This
>> latter is the culprit as it starts with "<body style='MARGIN:0px;' >"
>> (after the opening html tag). I don't know how it gets loaded but it
>> probably is the price you pay for this free service.
>
>    If so, try redefining the style for the „body" element. If
> necessary add „!important" so that your rule overrides others.
> body {margin: 5% !important;}
>
>    (Or margin-left: 5% !important; margin-right: 5% !important; )

That did the trick, thanks a lot!

- Carsten