* when/how are org-mode settings loaded
@ 2018-02-08  8:42 Julius Dittmar
From: Julius Dittmar @ 2018-02-08  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I'm an emacs-newbe, so please bear with me. I must be doing something
wrong and I have no idea where to look.

If my emacs-starting sequence is

1. call emacs with no arguments (and a config file adding various
org-mode settings)
2. launch org-mode agenda once
3. open a file with .org suffix

then highlighting and keybindings for that file are as I expect them and
in sync with the org-mode settings in the config file.

If I omit step 2, then highlighting in the file does not work.

Even if I then call agenda and later, either by choosing an agenda item
or directly, go back to that file buffer, highlighting still does not
work there.

Any pointers as to what might cause such behaviour? Or perhaps a faster
work-around than generating the whole (over-full) agenda?

Thanks in advance,

Julius

PS: GNU Emacs 24.3.1, org-mode release_9.1.6-159-g8554aa9

* Re: when/how are org-mode settings loaded
@ 2018-02-08 12:44 ` Jack Henahan
From: Jack Henahan @ 2018-02-08 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julius Dittmar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Could you post your config? I expect the issue is that you don’t (require 'org) or set up the auto-mode-alist in your init file. This would also be the case if, for instance, you defer loading the package with use-package, as well. Invoking the agenda will load org, so the next org file you open will do what you expect.

Do org files open in Fundamental mode when you don’t invoke the agenda first?

@ 2018-02-08 13:08   ` Julius Dittmar
From: Julius Dittmar @ 2018-02-08 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jack,

thanks for the answer.

Am 08.02.2018 um 13:44 schrieb Jack Henahan:
> Could you post your config?

I shy back from that because the config -- a strongly modified version
of the configuration pubished at http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html --
is quite lengthy.

> I expect the issue is that you don’t (require 'org) or set up the auto-mode-alist in your init file. This would also be the case if, for instance, you defer loading the package with use-package, as well. Invoking the agenda will load org, so the next org file you open will do what you expect.

The config starts with

(require 'org)

immediately after adjusting some paths so the git-version of org is
found. Some lines below there's

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.\\(org\\|org_archive\\|txt\\)$" .
org-mode))

> Do org files open in Fundamental mode when you don’t invoke the agenda first?

How would I find out?

Emacs adds the org-specific menu entries upon opening that file, and
shows org as major mode in the status line. At least some of the org
shortcuts (like adding a timestamp, or the basic outlining key-codes)
are active. I just sorely miss the highlighting :-(

Thanks for any hints,

Julius

@ 2018-02-08 14:58     ` Julius Dittmar
From: Julius Dittmar @ 2018-02-08 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)