* Demoting in plain list displays asterisk as space
@ 2018-06-25 11:50 Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2018-06-25 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

Having this item list:

- 1
- 2

with cursor in the "-2" row demoteing the item with org-shiftmetaright results in

- 1
     2

where the expected "  * 2" is displayed as "    2".
describe-char with cursor at the expected asterisk position reveals that "*" is displayed as space:

             position: 7 of 10 (60%), column: 2
             character: * (displayed as *) (codepoint 42, #o52, #x2a)
     preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
code point in charset: 0x2A
                script: latin
                syntax: _ 	which means: symbol
              category: .:Base, a:ASCII, l:Latin, r:Roman
              to input: type "C-x 8 RET 2a" or "C-x 8 RET ASTERISK"
           buffer code: #x2A
             file code: #x2A (encoded by coding system utf-8-dos)
               display: composed to form "*" (see below)

Composed by the rule:
	(? )
The component character(s) are displayed by these fonts (glyph codes):
   : uniscribe:-outline-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-mono-12-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1 (#x03)
See the variable ‘reference-point-alist’ for the meaning of the rule.

Character code properties: customize what to show
   name: ASTERISK
   general-category: Po (Punctuation, Other)
   decomposition: (42) ('*')

There are text properties here:
   composition          [Show]
   fontified            t
   keymap               [Show]
   line-prefix          ""
   mouse-face           highlight
   wrap-prefix          [Show]

Demoting once more results in:
- 1

     +

I cannot seem to find the reason why the "*" is displayed as empty char (space).
I already found out that there are no overlays at that point.
Does anybody have a hint?

Thank you.
Regards, Rainer

* Re: Demoting in plain list displays asterisk as space
@ 2018-06-25 11:58 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-06-25 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@online.de> writes:

> Having this item list:
>
> - 1
> - 2
>
> with cursor in the "-2" row demoteing the item with org-shiftmetaright results in
>
> - 1
>     2
>
> where the expected "  * 2" is displayed as "    2".
> describe-char with cursor at the expected asterisk position reveals
> that "*" is displayed as space:

I cannot reproduce it. Please check your configuration.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Demoting in plain list displays asterisk as space
@ 2018-06-26 13:45   ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2018-06-26 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am 25.06.2018 um 13:58 schrieb Nicolas Goaziou:
> Hello,
>
> Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@online.de> writes:
>
>> Having this item list:
>>
>> - 1
>> - 2
>>
>> with cursor in the "-2" row demoteing the item with org-shiftmetaright results in
>>
>> - 1
>>      2
>>
>> where the expected "  * 2" is displayed as "    2".
>> describe-char with cursor at the expected asterisk position reveals
>> that "*" is displayed as space:
>
> I cannot reproduce it. Please check your configuration.
>
> Regards,

Thanks, Nicolas, for doing a test.

I know already that it works with a minimal config.
My problem really is I have no clue where to start searching and would have hoped for an experienced user to give me a hint which (probably)
org variable could let that asterisk disappear.
I find it quite difficult to find out the one culprit leading to such an effect.
I know about bisecting the .emacs init file but what about the configuartion variables?
Ho would you "bisect" that one?

@ 2018-06-26 13:58     ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2018-06-26 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am 26.06.2018 um 15:45 schrieb Rainer Stengele:
> Am 25.06.2018 um 13:58 schrieb Nicolas Goaziou:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@online.de> writes:
>>
>>> Having this item list:
>>>
>>> - 1
>>> - 2
>>>
>>> with cursor in the "-2" row demoteing the item with org-shiftmetaright results in
>>>
>>> - 1
>>>      2
>>>
>>> where the expected "  * 2" is displayed as "    2".
>>> describe-char with cursor at the expected asterisk position reveals
>>> that "*" is displayed as space:
>>
>> I cannot reproduce it. Please check your configuration.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
> Thanks, Nicolas, for doing a test.
>
> I know already that it works with a minimal config.
> My problem really is I have no clue where to start searching and would have hoped for an experienced user to give me a hint which (probably)
> org variable could let that asterisk disappear.
> I find it quite difficult to find out the one culprit leading to such an effect.
> I know about bisecting the .emacs init file but what about the configuartion variables?
> Ho would you "bisect" that one?
>
> Thank you.
> Regards, Rainer

Hi again,

I just included the (custom-set-variables ..) and ((custom-set-faces ..)
forms from my custom.el file into my mini-init.el and did not find the reason there so will need to bisect my init files.

@ 2018-06-26 14:01     ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-06-26 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I have no clue where to start searching

To list `org-` variables:

  C-h v org- TAB

You can try the following:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE

  ; find help for the mode's key map
  C-h b

  ; find help for the major mode
  C-s major

  ; click on org-end-of-line
  ; click on org.el
  ; there you find a file of 24936 lines to search

#+END_EXAMPLE