* two pane Org
@ 2011-05-20 18:43 Maximilian
From: Maximilian @ 2011-05-20 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Although Org is a single pane outliner, is there a way to use a second pane (split frame) to edit the content of an outline element? This would be very useful when editing elements with longer texts.

If this is not possible, maybe it is possible to open the content of an outline element in a dedicated buffer? (similar to the document window of GrandView: https://welcometosherwood.wordpress.com/2009/10/10/grandview/)

Max

Easily monitor multiple email accounts & access them with a click.
Visit http://www.inbox.com/notifier and check it out!

* Re: two pane Org
@ 2011-05-20 20:03 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2011-05-20 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 10:43:55AM -0800, Maximilian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Although Org is a single pane outliner, is there a way to use a second pane (split frame) to edit the content of an outline element? This would be very useful when editing elements with longer texts.
>
> If this is not possible, maybe it is possible to open the content of an outline element in a dedicated buffer? (similar to the document window of GrandView: https://welcometosherwood.wordpress.com/2009/10/10/grandview/)
>
> Max

That's an interesting idea, I frequently work on a wide screen where
having a TOC pane on the left would help navigation for the main doc
unfolded in a pane on the right.

On the other hand, using narrowing and multiple buffers is what I do
currently.

Suggestions?

* Re: two pane Org
@ 2011-05-20 20:23   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-05-20 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

c-c c-x b does part of this already (the most important part for me).

I support the Whittemore-Peterson Institute (WPI)
===
I want to see the original (pre-hold) Lo et al. 2010 NIH/FDA/Harvard MRV paper.

* Re: two pane Org
@ 2011-05-20 21:46 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-05-20 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maximilian; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Maximilian <emaks@inbox.com> wrote:
> Although Org is a single pane outliner, is there a way to use a second
> pane (split frame) to edit the content of an outline element? This
> would be very useful when editing elements with longer texts.

Might not be what you are looking for but have you tried speedbar? It
shows headlines[1] in an org file. You can click it to jump to the
headline.

Hope this helps.

Footnotes:

[1] I see it shows up to two levels from a quick test. Don't know
whether this is configurable.

--
Suvayu

* Re: two pane Org
@ 2011-05-21 20:15     ` Maximilian
From: Maximilian @ 2011-05-21 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales, emacs-orgmode

Thanks I didn't know this. This looks just like the GrandView document window.

Max

Share photos & screenshots in seconds...
TRY FREE IM TOOLPACK at http://www.imtoolpack.com/default.aspx?rc=if1