* Enginnering notation in tables exported to LaTeX
@ 2016-04-07  2:10 Daniele Nicolodi
From: Daniele Nicolodi @ 2016-04-07  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

when exporting to LaTeX, numbers expressed in engineering notation
contained in tables are transformed into a quite confusing notation:
1.234e5 becomes 1.234\,(5) which is rendered by LaTeX as 1.234 (5) with
the space being a very narrow one. This notation is confusing because it
is usually used (at l;east in physical sciences) to indicate uncertainty.

I haven't found mention of this in the manual. There is a way to
disable, or customize this conversion?

Thank you. Cheers,
Daniele

* Re: Enginnering notation in tables exported to LaTeX
@ 2016-04-07  7:15 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-04-07  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniele Nicolodi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Daniele Nicolodi <daniele@grinta.net> writes:

> when exporting to LaTeX, numbers expressed in engineering notation
> contained in tables are transformed into a quite confusing notation:
> 1.234e5 becomes 1.234\,(5) which is rendered by LaTeX as 1.234 (5) with
> the space being a very narrow one. This notation is confusing because it
> is usually used (at l;east in physical sciences) to indicate uncertainty.
>
> I haven't found mention of this in the manual. There is a way to
> disable, or customize this conversion?

See `org-latex-table-scientific-notation'.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Enginnering notation in tables exported to LaTeX
@ 2016-04-07 20:43   ` Daniele Nicolodi
From: Daniele Nicolodi @ 2016-04-07 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 4/7/16 1:15 AM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Daniele Nicolodi <daniele@grinta.net> writes:
>
>> when exporting to LaTeX, numbers expressed in engineering notation
>> contained in tables are transformed into a quite confusing notation:
>> 1.234e5 becomes 1.234\,(5) which is rendered by LaTeX as 1.234 (5) with
>> the space being a very narrow one. This notation is confusing because it
>> is usually used (at l;east in physical sciences) to indicate uncertainty.
>>
>> I haven't found mention of this in the manual. There is a way to
>> disable, or customize this conversion?
>
> See `org-latex-table-scientific-notation'.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Daniele