* Quoting "_" for html and LaTeX output
@ 2015-09-24 19:29 Peter Davis
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Peter Davis @ 2015-09-24 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

A lot of the information I track in org-mode includes filepaths and
names and other strings containing underscore ("_") characters. I'd like
to be able to quote these for HTML and LaTeX output, so I don't wind up
with unwanted subscripts.

On the other hand, I want the data to be pretty readable within the org
buffer, so using \under{} pretty much fails that.

Is there another, more concise way to do this, possible for large
stretches of text at a time? I don't want to use an example block, as I
still want to format the text and avoid the mono-spaced font.

I understand that "\_" used to work, but doesn't on more recent
versions. Any chance of getting that back?

Thanks!
-pd

* Re: Quoting "_" for html and LaTeX output
@ 2015-09-24 19:58 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-09-24 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Davis; +Cc: Org-mode

Hello,

Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:

> A lot of the information I track in org-mode includes filepaths and
> names and other strings containing underscore ("_") characters. I'd
> like to be able to quote these for HTML and LaTeX output, so I don't
> wind up with unwanted subscripts.

What about: #+OPTIONS: ^:nil ?

> On the other hand, I want the data to be pretty readable within the
> org buffer, so using \under{} pretty much fails that.

See `org-pretty-entities'

> I understand that "\_" used to work, but doesn't on more recent
> versions. Any chance of getting that back?

Possibly.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Quoting "_" for html and LaTeX output
@ 2015-09-24 20:04 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-09-24 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:

> A lot of the information I track in org-mode includes filepaths and
> names and other strings containing underscore ("_") characters. I'd
> like to be able to quote these for HTML and LaTeX output, so I don't
> wind up with unwanted subscripts.
>
> On the other hand, I want the data to be pretty readable within the
> org buffer, so using \under{} pretty much fails that.
>
> Is there another, more concise way to do this, possible for large
> stretches of text at a time? I don't want to use an example block, as
> I still want to format the text and avoid the mono-spaced font.

See

   (info "(org) Export settings")

> I understand that "\_" used to work, but doesn't on more recent
> versions. Any chance of getting that back?

I don't remember that that ever worked - did it? OTOH, my memory isn't
what it used to be (and it was pretty bad to begin with).

--
Nick

* Re: Quoting "_" for html and LaTeX output
@ 2015-09-25 12:36 ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2015-09-25 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Thanks, Nicolas and Nick. The option solves it perfectly.

Cheers,
-pd