* Problems Setting Properties
@ 2015-05-31 19:47 Edward Guyatt
From: Edward Guyatt @ 2015-05-31 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

When I try to set a property in my planner file (15005 lines to go wrong
:P), I get an error message. Here is the backtrace from saying C-c C-x p
(org-set-property) on any heading.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument integer-or-marker-p nil)
   org-buffer-property-keys(nil t t)
   org-read-property-name()
   org-set-property(nil nil)
   call-interactively(org-set-property nil nil)
   command-execute(org-set-property)

I get the same result saying C-c C-c s at a property drawer.

I have tried to narrow it down to a specific point by deleting big
parts. I couldn't narrow it down: if I deleted some parts it would
behave normally and if I deleted parts containing said parts it would
give the error.

I've only experienced this recently after upgrading from Debian Wheezy
to Jessie, so from org-mode 7.8.11-1 to 8.2.10-1.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

* Re: Problems Setting Properties
@ 2015-05-31 22:05 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-05-31 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edward Guyatt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Edward Guyatt <edwardguyatt@gmx.co.uk> writes:

> When I try to set a property in my planner file (15005 lines to go
> wrong :P), I get an error message. Here is the backtrace from saying
> C-c C-x p (org-set-property) on any heading.
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument integer-or-marker-p nil)
>   org-buffer-property-keys(nil t t)
>   org-read-property-name()
>   org-set-property(nil nil)
>   call-interactively(org-set-property nil nil)
>   command-execute(org-set-property)
>
> I get the same result saying C-c C-c s at a property drawer.

The backtrace is missing steps. Could you reload Org uncompiled and
reproduce it?

> I've only experienced this recently after upgrading from Debian Wheezy
> to Jessie, so from org-mode 7.8.11-1 to 8.2.10-1.

Could you try development version of Org, i.e. 8.3-beta?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Problems Setting Properties
@ 2015-06-01 12:21   ` Edward Guyatt
From: Edward Guyatt @ 2015-06-01 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I've now got 8.3-BETA, as org-version confirms. I uninstalled the
org-mode debian package and the ELPA package I tried, but org-mode was
still installed from the Emacs debian package by the time I used git to
get the 8.3-BETA. Hoping this won't cause any chaos?

Anyway, I found my planner.org file and got an enormous backtrace on
startup. Might be a bit big for a mailing list so here's a paste:
http://pastebin.com/BwMk5epP

Now when I try and edit properties with C-c C-x p , I'm being told that
there's a malformed drawer at such and such a point and given an option
to repair it. I'm saying 'y' to 'repair?'. It seems that the 'repair'
being carried out is to put an empty drawer before the logbook and leave
the original properties drawer after the logbook. Maybe I'm supposed to
have drawers in a certain position?

After repairing, I'm getting the same message I got when finding the
file 'Symbol's function definition is void: org-element-at-point' and it
returns to the place where I said C-c C-x p after making the
modification elsewhere. If I say 'n' to 'repair?', it just goes to the
next apparently malformed drawer.

Hope I've provided the needed information.

Thanks very much,

Ed

@ 2015-06-01 15:30     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-06-01 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edward Guyatt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Edward Guyatt <edwardguyatt@gmx.co.uk> writes:

> I've now got 8.3-BETA, as org-version confirms. I uninstalled the
> org-mode debian package and the ELPA package I tried, but org-mode was
> still installed from the Emacs debian package by the time I used git
> to get the 8.3-BETA. Hoping this won't cause any chaos?
>
> Anyway, I found my planner.org file and got an enormous backtrace on
> startup. Might be a bit big for a mailing list so here's a paste:
> http://pastebin.com/BwMk5epP

It looks like a mixed install. You need to make sure that path to Org
8.3 is added at the very beginning of the init process.

* Re: Problems Setting Properties
@ 2015-06-02  9:51       ` Edward Guyatt
From: Edward Guyatt @ 2015-06-02  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

It's at the beginning of my ~/.emacs init file. I've tried starting with
--no-site-lisp and inhibit-default-init set to non-nil -- I get more org
less the same backtrace (http://pastebin.com/HEgwdPPT). If it's any use
to know, I'm getting these messages http://pastebin.com/xshMe0xz

So I'm a bit stuck on how to make sure the other version of org isn't
loaded on init. It came installed with Emacs if that's any use to know.

Thanks,

Ed

@ 2015-07-02  8:53   ` Edward Guyatt
From: Edward Guyatt @ 2015-07-02  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I believe I have solved my problem by removing a stray asterisk in a
subtree I often edit frantically:

:PROPERTIES:
:ID: 28a0bc23-ff9f-4631-b602-fc8d4e581c2d
:END:*