* Donations
@ 2009-06-05  9:13 Carsten Dominik
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-05  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,

a while ago I was contacted by one of the members of this
mailing list, asking me if there was a way to compensate
me for the sustained effort I put into developing and
maintaining Org-mode.  It was not the first inquiry I had in
this direction, but this time the author was more persuasive.
The way he put it was that Org-mode did create more value for
him than he ever got out of Microsoft Office or any other
similar and expensive program.  This whole story ended in a
generous donation in exchange for a signed printed manual
and a laminated reference card.

At first this seemed like an odd idea, because I do
develop Org-mode out of passion, craziness, addiction and
for fun.  But it is true that over the past 6 years I have
probably put thousands of hours into this project.

Long story short:  There is now a PayPal donation button on
the website.  Any money arriving there will be used to
keep me in the same happy state that has enabled me to do this
work for the last couple of years, and it will also be used
for hardware that I might need, like the next laptop for my
commute (my main source of coding time) or some mobile
device to help creating a mobile arm for Org-mode.

Make no mistake: Org-mode is "free", both as in "freedom" and
as in "free of charge", and always will be.  But for those of
you who feel that a donation would be a good way to contribute,
this is now possible.

Regards

- Carsten

* Re: Donations
@ 2009-06-05 12:57 ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2009-06-05 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could that PayPal link perhaps (also) point to a page in English?  We lazy
monolingual users from the "Verenigde Staten" and the "Verenigd Koninkrijk"
might find our countries names in the pull down list somewhat more easily.
:-)

sb

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> a while ago I was contacted by one of the members of this
> mailing list, asking me if there was a way to compensate
> me for the sustained effort I put into developing and
> maintaining Org-mode.  It was not the first inquiry I had in
> this direction, but this time the author was more persuasive.
> The way he put it was that Org-mode did create more value for
> him than he ever got out of Microsoft Office or any other
> similar and expensive program.  This whole story ended in a
> generous donation in exchange for a signed printed manual
> and a laminated reference card.
>
> At first this seemed like an odd idea, because I do
> develop Org-mode out of passion, craziness, addiction and
> for fun.  But it is true that over the past 6 years I have
> probably put thousands of hours into this project.
>
> Long story short:  There is now a PayPal donation button on
> the website.  Any money arriving there will be used to
> keep me in the same happy state that has enabled me to do this
> work for the last couple of years, and it will also be used
> for hardware that I might need, like the next laptop for my
> commute (my main source of coding time) or some mobile
> device to help creating a mobile arm for Org-mode.
>
> Make no mistake: Org-mode is "free", both as in "freedom" and
> as in "free of charge", and always will be.  But for those of
> you who feel that a donation would be a good way to contribute,
> this is now possible.
>
> Regards
>
> - Carsten

* Re: Donations
@ 2009-06-05 13:40   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-05 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is in Dutch????  Oh my, I need to figure out how to change than :-(
No idea so far.....

- Carsten

On Jun 5, 2009, at 2:57 PM, Scot Becker wrote:

> Could that PayPal link perhaps (also) point to a page in English?
> We lazy monolingual users from the "Verenigde Staten" and the
> "Verenigd Koninkrijk" might find our countries names in the pull
> down list somewhat more easily.  :-)
>
> sb
>

> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com
> > wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> a while ago I was contacted by one of the members of this
> mailing list, asking me if there was a way to compensate
> me for the sustained effort I put into developing and
> maintaining Org-mode.  It was not the first inquiry I had in
> this direction, but this time the author was more persuasive.
> The way he put it was that Org-mode did create more value for
> him than he ever got out of Microsoft Office or any other
> similar and expensive program.  This whole story ended in a
> generous donation in exchange for a signed printed manual
> and a laminated reference card.
>
> At first this seemed like an odd idea, because I do
> develop Org-mode out of passion, craziness, addiction and
> for fun.  But it is true that over the past 6 years I have
> probably put thousands of hours into this project.
>
> Long story short:  There is now a PayPal donation button on
> the website.  Any money arriving there will be used to
> keep me in the same happy state that has enabled me to do this
> work for the last couple of years, and it will also be used
> for hardware that I might need, like the next laptop for my
> commute (my main source of coding time) or some mobile
> device to help creating a mobile arm for Org-mode.
>
> Make no mistake: Org-mode is "free", both as in "freedom" and
> as in "free of charge", and always will be.  But for those of
> you who feel that a donation would be a good way to contribute,
> this is now possible.
>
> Regards
>
> - Carsten

* Re: Donations
@ 2009-06-05 14:02 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-06-05 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2009-06-05 10:13 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> This whole story ended in a generous donation in exchange for a
> signed printed manual and a laminated reference card.

You deserve it, Carsten.

-- Leo

* RE: Donations
@ 2009-06-05 21:53 ` Chris Randle
From: Chris Randle @ 2009-06-05 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Carsten

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Long story short:  There is now a PayPal donation button on
> the website.

I'm so glad you've decided to do this. I've been meaning for ages to ask
if you felt something like that was appropriate. I've used so many
different bits of software over the years in an attempt to keep myself
organized, and most of them have been commercial, requiring payment.
They all fall by the wayside after a while for one reason or another.

I mentioned to my wife how Org-mode may be "the one" as I'd now been
using for more than a couple of months, only to discover on checking
that it was actually over 18 months!

Don't think it's quite what St Paul had in mind when he wrote it, but
see "1 Corinthians 3:14"

--
Chris Randle