* Help with "alternative" ipython session workflow
@ 2015-04-11 23:09 Giacomo M
From: Giacomo M @ 2015-04-11 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have never been able to make org sessions getting along properly with
ipython, so at the moment I'm using a sort of handmade hybrid between
org and an ipython notebook, doing the following:
1. Enter the first source block in a .org file
2. Start an ipython instance with C-c C-c
3. Keep the org/src buffer and *Python* buffer side by side
4. Copy paragraph of code around cursor (keeping cursor in position) (I
usually split sections of code I want to run individually with spaces)
5. Select *Python* buffer
6. Go to last position
7. Type %paste

I probably sound like a caveman doing this over and over, but this is
the most stable setup I could find. Plus I keep experimenting w/ code,
and this gives me a very interactive environment. Macros helped me to
automatize steps 4-8, but still it's not very flexible, e.g. I need the
side-by-side buffers, with ipython already running.

I was wondering whether anybody has any suggestions to improve this (and
make me save some minutes of life every day), or any good reference to
make ipython work smoothly with org src blocks

Thanks,

Giacomo