* Latex/Table: horizontal line spanning some cells
@ 2015-08-29 16:54 Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2015-08-29 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

In a table, I would like some horizontal lines that span only some columns, and not the whole width. My document has to be exported to latex, in which you need something like \cline{4-5} for a horizontal line spanning columns 4-5 (http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/8549/how-can-i-draw-a-horizontal-line-spanning-only-some-of-the-table-cells <http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/8549/how-can-i-draw-a-horizontal-line-spanning-only-some-of-the-table-cells>).

How could I do this in org, so that I will get the right latex export.

Has anyone done this in org?

Vikas

* Re: Latex/Table: horizontal line spanning some cells
@ 2015-08-29 20:09 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-08-29 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> writes:

> In a table, I would like some horizontal lines that span only some
> columns, and not the whole width. My document has to be exported to
> latex, in which you need something like \cline{4-5} for a horizontal
> line spanning columns 4-5

For bookstabs you'd use \cmidrule(·){·-·}.

AFAIK, there's no support for this.

There's column groups, but they will insert vertical lines, which is
arguably (much) less interesting.

Perhaps we would add support for other groupings as well, e.g.

| / | ( | ) |   |
|   | a | b | c |
|---+---+---+---|

It would also be nice to add multicolumns.

> How could I do this in org, so that I will get the right latex export.

For now you'd have to go with a filter or maybe use other means to produce
a table.  In the past, when I have needed more complex tables I've usually
used a mix of Hmisc in R, babel and some Emacs-lisp to clean it up...  Not
so nice.

> Has anyone done this in org?

Undoubtedly.

Rasmus

--
Hvor meget poesi tror De kommer ud af et glas isvand?

* Re: Latex/Table: horizontal line spanning some cells
@ 2015-08-30  1:20   ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2015-08-30  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> For now you'd have to go with a filter or maybe use other means to produce
> a table.  In the past, when I have needed more complex tables I've usually
> used a mix of Hmisc in R, babel and some Emacs-lisp to clean it up...  Not
> so nice.

At this stage, I think I will just manually fix the final latex export. I do not know enough Emacs-lisp to be able to do this.

I have an org file (with a lot of embedded R and by now a lot of embedded LaTeX) producing a final pdf for a book, which goes to press in three days. I would be sorry if there is this little thing that I am unable to do in org :(.

Sometime back, Eric Schulte had very kindly shared code that creates multicolumn cells in latex export. I have used it extensively. I think that should be integrated into org.

In the meanwhile, I hope somebody can come up with a way to insert \cmidrule in tables before my next project :).

Thank you, and thank you all.

Vikas