* Feature Request: insert/delete rows in column view
@ 2009-08-28 20:40 David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2009-08-28 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Maybe this is difficult for reasons I don't know about, but it would
be very nice to insert and delete rows in column view. I agree that
deleting a row could kill a lot of text, but no differently than a
folded view.  For inserting, maybe below the current row. Of course
then I'll be wanting to edit structure too, move rows up and down and
change their indent level.

All the best,

David

* Re: Feature Request: insert/delete rows in column view
@ 2009-08-29 17:42 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-29 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 28, 2009, at 10:40 PM, David Bremner wrote:

> Maybe this is difficult for reasons I don't know about, but it would
> be very nice to insert and delete rows in column view. I agree that
> deleting a row could kill a lot of text, but no differently than a
> folded view.  For inserting, maybe below the current row. Of course
> then I'll be wanting to edit structure too, move rows up and down and
> change their indent level.

What is so bad about exiting column view, doing the structure
changes and then going back in?  The problem is that structure changes
potentially affect summary columns, so it is not a good idea to do this
in column view.

- Carsten

* Re: Feature Request: insert/delete rows in column view
@ 2009-08-29 18:00   ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2009-08-29 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:
>What is so bad about exiting column view, doing the structure
>changes and then going back in?  The problem is that structure changes
>potentially affect summary columns, so it is not a good idea to do this
>in column view.

I can certainly live with it. I made the request after spending a day
editing a document in column view, and finding my fingers kept hitting
C-k and <return>, and discovering they did nothing in column view. So
my brain is fine with the concept; I expect the fingers will catch up
eventually.

@ 2009-08-29 18:23     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-29 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 29, 2009, at 8:00 PM, David Bremner wrote:

> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> What is so bad about exiting column view, doing the structure
>> changes and then going back in?  The problem is that structure
>> changes
>> potentially affect summary columns, so it is not a good idea to do
>> this
>> in column view.
>
> I can certainly live with it. I made the request after spending a day
> editing a document in column view, and finding my fingers kept hitting
> C-k and <return>, and discovering they did nothing in column view. So
> my brain is fine with the concept; I expect the fingers will catch up
> eventually.

:-)

- Carsten