* Bug: Feature request: make length of history in org-clock-select-task customizable [8.2.7c (8.2.7c-51-g896fa6-elpaplus @ c:/Users/clange/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20140825/)]
@ 2014-08-28 12:46 Christoph LANGE
From: Christoph LANGE @ 2014-08-28 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear developers,

I would like to ask you to consider the following feature request: to
make the length of the history of recent tasks in org-clock-select-task
customizable.  If I understand correctly, this should be as
straightforward as replacing the three occurrences of the hard-coded
number 10 in this defun by a defcustom'd variable.  Maybe call it
org-clock-select-max-task-items – I tried to find something that's
similar to recentf-max-menu-items.

Background: I use org-mode for logging all of my work time and sometimes
switch between too many tasks.

Cheers, and many thanks in advance,

Christoph

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.2.9200)
  of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
Package: Org-mode version 8.2.7c (8.2.7c-51-g896fa6-elpaplus @
c:/Users/clange/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20140825/)

--
Christoph Lange, Enterprise Information Systems Department
Applied Computer Science @ University of Bonn; Fraunhofer IAIS

→ SEMANTiCS conference: Transfer–Engineering–Community.
   Leipzig, Germany, 4–5 September (workshops 1–3 September).
   Including Vocabulary Carnival, LOD for SMEs, Linked Data Quality.

* Re: Bug: Feature request: make length of history in org-clock-select-task customizable [8.2.7c (8.2.7c-51-g896fa6-elpaplus @ c:/Users/clange/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20140825/)]
  2014-08-28 12:46 Bug: Feature request: make length of history in org-clock-select-task customizable [8.2.7c (8.2.7c-51-g896fa6-elpaplus @ c:/Users/clange/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20140825/)] Christoph LANGE
@ 2014-08-28 16:03 ` Subhan Michael Tindall
From: Subhan Michael Tindall @ 2014-08-28 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Christoph LANGE', emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Try
(setq org-clock-history-length <n>)
In your .emacs
I believe the max on the list length is 35, but I could be wrong.
If I'm understanding your question correctly this should address  your issue.

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.  Thank you.

@ 2014-08-30 10:57   ` Christoph LANGE
From: Christoph LANGE @ 2014-08-30 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Subhan Michael Tindall, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On 2014-08-28 18:03, Subhan Michael Tindall wrote:
 > Try
 > (setq org-clock-history-length <n>)
 > In your .emacs

Thank you very much, that's great!  I had no idea, because …

* the documentation of org-clock-goto and org-clock-in (which display
the history given universal-argument) didn't refer to this,

* org-clock-select-task does not obviously refer to
org-clock-history-length,

* I was misled by the hard-coded 10 in org-clock-select-task, which, as
I now understand, defines the boundary between digits and letters to
number tasks.

 > I believe the max on the list length is 35, but I could be wrong.

I think you are right about this, given the initial code in
org-clock-history-push, and the limit to 9 digits (why actually not use
"0" for the most recent one?) and 26 alphabetic letters.

Cheers,

Christoph