From: Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Org equivalent to \chapter*
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 08:46:44 +1000	[thread overview]

On 07/08/14 05:52, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
> Aloha Rasmus,
>
> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>
>> Thomas,
>>
>> tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

>>> Thanks for sharing this.  It will be useful for book authors.
>>>
>>> Do you think it is possible to write a general headline filter that
>>> takes care of all the various LaTeX possibilities?
>> I don't like *one* filter to rule them all.  Of course, if it's a
>> collection of other function calls that is OK.  As your recent
>> question showed execution order may matter,
>> (e.g. with :ignoreheading:clearpage:).
>>
>> Of course it's possible to bundle a couple of filters generally useful
>> for ox-latex and provide a "consistent" interface.  Alternatively, one
>> could make a ox-latex+.el that provides a derived class with extra
>> options. That's may be more work, and may be harder to hack.
>>
>> In fact Aaron started ox-extra.el, with the intention of providing
>> "semi-official" extensions but Worg may be a better means of
>> communication.
>>
>>> Right now Iʻm using tags to ignoreheading, clearpage, and newpage.
>>> In addition to your nonum filter, Eric S. has a filter that gets rid
>>> of a heading and promotes the content, which I havenʻt had occasion
>>> to use, but also has its own tag.
>> Yes, Eric has cool tree-based filter(s).  I want to study them more
>> carefully.  Quite possibly, it's easier to provide elegant filters
>> with trees.  For instance, you have direct access to the element
>> representation.  In my filters I "hack" my way to this using
>> text-properties.
>>
>>>  From the LaTeX authorʻs point of view, it would be great to have a set
>>> of tags (and options) that "just work."
>> Would you want this as a derived class or filters?  Perhaps it's
>> easier to have a derived class with an alternative headline
>> function. . .
>>
>>> Do you (and others) think the "tag and filter" approach can achieve
>>> this?  Or, are there too many moving parts to make it feasible?
>> Yes.
>>
>> The ox-koma-script interface is basically controlled via tags.  I
>> think it's nice.
> Thanks for this useful overview and the pointers to good examples.
>
> Iʻve been slowly building a set of filters and links that work for me,
> but each new project differs a bit from the previous one and I have to
> fiddle with the Org mode setup.  Iʻm eager to get to the place Iʻm at
> with LaTeX, where I just jump in and start writing.
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> All the best,
> Tom

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Several of my books are out of print and I am converting them to ePub
and to printed form. ePub is pretty smooth by exporting to HTML and then
using Calibre. LaTeX is the obvious choice for print.

It would be nice to have a single tag that gives the \section*{}
equivalent for all exports, but I can see that there is some difficulty
with that. Thanks Rasmus for the LaTeX filter -- I'll have a look at
adapting it for the HTML.

As Thomas mentioned, having selectively unnumbered sections is pretty
important for book authors.

Thanks again,
Alan

Tel:  04 2748 6206              sip:typhoon@iptel.org