* Bash script to update - only make when update there?
@ 2013-12-10  8:44 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2013-12-10  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Re: Bash script to update - only make when update there?
@ 2013-12-10 15:59 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-12-10 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> Hi
>
> I have a question concerning a bash script to update org (and ess in
> the same way but in a different script).
>
> The script I use to update org looks as follow:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> cd ~/.emacs.d/org-git
>
> ####
> #!/bin/sh
> git checkout master
> make update
> ####
>
> which works nicely, but I would like to only execute the "make update"
> if git updated something - I am sure this is possible, but how?

It seems to me that the dependencies are not dealt with correctly in the
Makefile, so after the git pull (whether that did anything or not),
``make update'' rebuilds everything. Ideally, it should figure out what
needs rebuilding and just do that - then you wouldn't need anything
more. OTOH, CPU cycles are cheap and rebuilding everything only takes 12
seconds on my laptop, so should we really care?

Be that as it may, you can try something like this hack (those are backticks
around the git pull - it's under the ESC key in the upper left hand
corner on most US keyboards but it may be somewhere else on yours):

    if [ "`git pull`" == "Already up-to-date" ]
    then
        echo "Up to date"
    else
        make update
    fi

Nick

* Re: Bash script to update - only make when update there?
@ 2013-12-10 17:00 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-12-10 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug writes:
> git checkout master
> make update

This doesn't update at all since you never do a "git pull" on master.

> which works nicely, but I would like to only execute the "make update"
> if git updated something - I am sure this is possible, but how?

I really don't see why you'd need to use a shell script for that
(instead of adding your own target in local.mk), but that aside you'd
want to compare the SHA1 of your checkout with the SHA1 of your last
install (for instancefrom org-version.el).  If there wasn't an update
these two would be identical.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Bash script to update - only make when update there?
@ 2013-12-10 17:12   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-12-10 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz writes:
> Rainer M Krug writes:
>> git checkout master
>> make update
>
> This doesn't update at all since you never do a "git pull" on master.

Scratch that, I was imagining an "update2" where you clearly wrote
"update".  In any case (and to answer Nick Dokos' remark) make always
does a full re-build by design when asked to do an "update" or any of
the other related targets.  The purpose of those targets is to always
end up with a working installation, not to expend the least amount of
work to have something that maybe but not always could work.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Bash script to update - only make when update there?
@ 2013-12-10 18:35   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2013-12-10 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

On 12/10/13, 16:59 , Nick Dokos wrote:
> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a question concerning a bash script to update org (and ess
>> in the same way but in a different script).
>>
>> The script I use to update org looks as follow:
>>
>> #!/bin/sh cd ~/.emacs.d/org-git
>>
>> #### #!/bin/sh git checkout master make update ####
>>
>> which works nicely, but I would like to only execute the "make
>> update" if git updated something - I am sure this is possible,
>> but how?
>>

> It seems to me that the dependencies are not dealt with correctly
> in the Makefile, so after the git pull (whether that did anything
> or not), ``make update'' rebuilds everything. Ideally, it should
> figure out what needs rebuilding and just do that - then you
> wouldn't need anything more. OTOH, CPU cycles are cheap and
> rebuilding everything only takes 12 seconds on my laptop, so should
> we really care?

Well - you are right. Why care?

> Be that as it may, you can try something like this hack (those are
> backticks around the git pull - it's under the ESC key in the upper
> left hand corner on most US keyboards but it may be somewhere else
> on yours):
>
> if [ "`git pull`" == "Already up-to-date" ] then echo "Up to date"
> else make update fi

True - but if git pull does change the message, I have to change it as
well - I just leave it as it is.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Nick

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: Bash script to update - only make when update there?
@ 2013-12-10 18:36     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2013-12-10 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

On 12/10/13, 18:12 , Achim Gratz wrote:
> Achim Gratz writes:
>> Rainer M Krug writes:
>>> git checkout master make update
>>
>> This doesn't update at all since you never do a "git pull" on
>> master.
>
> Scratch that, I was imagining an "update2" where you clearly wrote
> "update".  In any case (and to answer Nick Dokos' remark) make
> always does a full re-build by design when asked to do an "update"
> or any of the other related targets.  The purpose of those targets
> is to always end up with a working installation, not to expend the
> least amount of work to have something that maybe but not always
> could work.

Well - I will just leave it as it is - never change a working system.

Thanks,
Rainer

> Regards, Achim.

- --

@ 2013-12-10 19:31     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-12-10 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> On 12/10/13, 16:59 , Nick Dokos wrote:
>> Be that as it may, you can try something like this hack (those are
>> backticks around the git pull - it's under the ESC key in the upper
>> left hand corner on most US keyboards but it may be somewhere else
>> on yours):
>>
>> if [ "`git pull`" == "Already up-to-date" ] then echo "Up to date"
>> else make update fi
>
> True - but if git pull does change the message, I have to change it as
> well - I just leave it as it is.

Here for your amusement is a way to get around this problem:

if [ "`git pull`" == "`git pull`" ]
then
        echo Up to date
else
        make update
fi

You pay double the cost every time you use it but if they ever *do*
change the message, it's not going to break. But of course, if the shell
ever optimizes the second git pull away, you are back at square one...

With-tongue-firmly-in-cheek-ly yours,
Nick

* Re: Bash script to update - only make when update there?
@ 2013-12-10 19:37       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2013-12-10 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 12/10/13, 20:31 , Nick Dokos wrote:
> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> On 12/10/13, 16:59 , Nick Dokos wrote:
>>> ... Be that as it may, you can try something like this hack
>>> (those are backticks around the git pull - it's under the ESC
>>> key in the upper left hand corner on most US keyboards but it
>>> may be somewhere else on yours):
>>>
>>> if [ "`git pull`" == "Already up-to-date" ] then echo "Up to
>>> date" else make update fi
>>
>> True - but if git pull does change the message, I have to change
>> it as well - I just leave it as it is.
>>

> Here for your amusement is a way to get around this problem:
>
> if [ "`git pull`" == "`git pull`" ] then echo Up to date else make
> update fi
>
> You pay double the cost every time you use it but if they ever
> *do* change the message, it's not going to break. But of course, if
> the shell ever optimizes the second git pull away, you are back at
> square one...

I like it - optimization which not necessarily is faster....

Cheers,

Rainer

@ 2013-12-10 20:50         ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-12-10 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

gitpullv () {
    #echo \=== maybe need to grab tags
    head=`git rev-parse --verify HEAD`
    echo
    git pull --stat --log | cat
    echo
    newhead=`git rev-parse --verify HEAD`
    if [ "$newhead" != "$head" ]
    then
        git log --pretty=tformat:%s ORIG_HEAD.. | cat
        # git log --pretty=tformat:%s --graph ORIG_HEAD..
        echo
        echo '= you can now do git diff ORIG_HEAD -- files pipe tee'
        return 0
    else
        return 1
    fi
    #git gc --auto
    git status
}

On 12/10/13, Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> wrote:

> On 12/10/13, 20:31 , Nick Dokos wrote:
>> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

>>> True - but if git pull does change the message, I have to change
>>> it as well - I just leave it as it is.
>>>

>> Here for your amusement is a way to get around this problem:
>>
>> if [ "`git pull`" == "`git pull`" ] then echo Up to date else make
>> update fi
>>
>> You pay double the cost every time you use it but if they ever
>> *do* change the message, it's not going to break. But of course, if
>> the shell ever optimizes the second git pull away, you are back at
>> square one...
>
> I like it - optimization which not necessarily is faster....
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rainer
>

>> With-tongue-firmly-in-cheek-ly yours, Nick
>>

> - --
> Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation
> Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)
>
> Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology
> Stellenbosch University
> South Africa
>
> Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
> Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
> Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44
>
> Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44
>
> email:      Rainer@krugs.de
>
> Skype:      RMkrug

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.

* Re: Bash script to update - only make when update there?
@ 2013-12-12  9:00           ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2013-12-12  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 12/10/13, 21:50 , Samuel Wales wrote:
> gitpullv () { #echo \=== maybe need to grab tags head=`git
> rev-parse --verify HEAD` echo git pull --stat --log | cat echo
> newhead=`git rev-parse --verify HEAD` if [ "$newhead" != "$head" ]
> then git log --pretty=tformat:%s ORIG_HEAD.. | cat # git log
> --pretty=tformat:%s --graph ORIG_HEAD.. echo echo '= you can now do
> git diff ORIG_HEAD -- files pipe tee' return 0 else return 1 fi
> #git gc --auto git status }

Wow - and I expected a return code from git which I could simply
compare evaluate if there has something updated...

Well - I will stay with my simple update script.

Thanks,

Rainer

@ 2013-12-13  0:26             ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-12-13  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 10:00:22AM +0100, Rainer M Krug wrote:

> On 12/10/13, 21:50 , Samuel Wales wrote:
> > gitpullv () { #echo \=== maybe need to grab tags head=`git
> > rev-parse --verify HEAD` echo git pull --stat --log | cat echo
> > newhead=`git rev-parse --verify HEAD` if [ "$newhead" != "$head" ]
> > then git log --pretty=tformat:%s ORIG_HEAD.. | cat # git log
> > --pretty=tformat:%s --graph ORIG_HEAD.. echo echo '= you can now do
> > git diff ORIG_HEAD -- files pipe tee' return 0 else return 1 fi
> > #git gc --auto git status }
>
> Wow - and I expected a return code from git which I could simply
> compare evaluate if there has something updated...

A `git pull' without new updates, is still a successful pull.  It is a
failure only if the remote is unreachable for some reason, or the pull
is interrupted midway.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Bash script to update - only make when update there?
@ 2013-12-13  8:40               ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2013-12-13  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali, emacs-orgmode