* POLL: Removing obsolete variables and features
@ 2007-02-20  8:37 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-02-20  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi everyone,

I am doing some cleaning up, and would like to remove from org-mode
11 customization variables (which I think nobody will ever use).
I also plan to remove the ability to do CamelCase links entirely.

Please VETO if you rely on any of these features, or if you think
you might want to use it in the future.

- Carsten

;; FIXME: This variable could be removed, default nil
(defcustom org-startup-with-deadline-check nil

;; FIXME: This variable could be removed, default t
(defcustom org-table-limit-column-width t

;; FIXME: This variable could be removed, default nil
(defcustom org-table-formula-numbers-only nil

;; FIXME: This variable could be removed, default 'bracket
(defcustom org-link-style 'bracket

;; FIXME: This variable could be removed, default "%s"
(defcustom org-link-format "%s"

;; FIXME: This variable could be removed, default nil
(defcustom org-file-link-context-use-camel-case nil

;; FIXME: I think this variable could be removed, default set to t
(defcustom org-select-agenda-window t

;; FIXME: I think this variable could be removed, default set to t
(defcustom org-fit-agenda-window t

;; FIXME: This variable could be removed, default nil
(defcustom org-agenda-include-all-todo nil

;; FIXME: This variable could be removed, default t
(defcustom org-export-ascii-show-new-buffer t

;; FIXME: This variable could be removed, default nil
(defcustom org-export-html-show-new-buffer nil

* RE: POLL: Removing obsolete variables and features
@ 2007-02-21  8:11 Egli Christian (KIRO 43)
From: Egli Christian (KIRO 43) @ 2007-02-21  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten

> I am doing some cleaning up, and would like to remove from org-mode
> 11 customization variables (which I think nobody will ever use).

I'm all for simplifying org-mode and making maintenance of the code
easier by removing dead and unused code but please leave my little pet
feature in :-)

> ;; FIXME: This variable could be removed, default nil
> (defcustom org-agenda-include-all-todo nil

I am using this to see all the todos that I have not scheduled in my
agenda. Why would you want to remove it? What would the alternative be
if this variable was no longer? Always pressing C-u M-x org-agenda?

Maybe I could agree to the removal if I had another easy way to see my
unscheduled todos (that is as much in your face as the agenda-view).

Christian

* Re: POLL: Removing obsolete variables and features
@ 2007-02-21  8:28 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-02-21  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Egli Christian (KIRO 43); +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 21, 2007, at 9:11, Egli Christian ((KIRO 43)) wrote:

>> ;; FIXME: This variable could be removed, default nil
>> (defcustom org-agenda-include-all-todo nil
>
> I am using this to see all the todos that I have not scheduled in my
> agenda. Why would you want to remove it? What would the alternative be
> if this variable was no longer? Always pressing C-u M-x org-agenda?

Alternatives are:

1. C-u C-c a      (as you mention above)

2. Call C-c a t whenever you want to look at your TODO entries.

3. Making a custom agenda command that includes both the TODO list
    and the agenda as two separate blocks.  You may even redefine
    the "a" key, so that you get this still with `C-c a a':

      (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
          '(("a" "todo and agenda"
                 ((alltodo) (agenda)) nil)))

And of course I can leave that variable in - the simplification is
minimal in this case.

- Carsten

* Re: POLL: Removing obsolete variables and features
@ 2007-02-21 23:05 ` Piotr Zielinski
From: Piotr Zielinski @ 2007-02-21 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Egli Christian (KIRO 43); +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 21/02/07, Egli Christian (KIRO 43) <christian.egli@credit-suisse.com> wrote:
> > ;; FIXME: This variable could be removed, default nil
> > (defcustom org-agenda-include-all-todo nil
>
> I am using this to see all the todos that I have not scheduled in my
> agenda.

I'd also vote for keeping this variable.

Piotr

* Re: POLL: Removing obsolete variables and features
@ 2007-02-22  7:20   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-02-22  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Piotr Zielinski; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

OK, I'll leave that one in.

- Carsten

On Feb 22, 2007, at 0:05, Piotr Zielinski wrote:

> On 21/02/07, Egli Christian (KIRO 43)
> <christian.egli@credit-suisse.com> wrote:
>> > ;; FIXME: This variable could be removed, default nil
>> > (defcustom org-agenda-include-all-todo nil
>>
>> I am using this to see all the todos that I have not scheduled in my
>> agenda.
>
> I'd also vote for keeping this variable.
>
> Piotr

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403