* Babel issue after upgrade to Org 8?
@ 2013-08-07  8:28 SabreWolfy
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: SabreWolfy @ 2013-08-07  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've recently updated my Debian unstable installation and Emacs now reports
this on startup:

Symbol's function definition is void: org-babel-do-load-language

My .emacs includes:

(org-babel-do-load-languages 'org-babel-load-languages '((R . t)))

I've searched for a solution and read the notes about upgrading to Org 8
(which may have occurred during the update?), but have not found a solution.
Can someone point me in the right direction, please? Thanks.

* Re: Babel issue after upgrade to Org 8?
@ 2013-08-07 11:23 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-08-07 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

SabreWolfy wrote:
> I've recently updated my Debian unstable installation and Emacs now reports
> this on startup:
>
> Symbol's function definition is void: org-babel-do-load-language
>
> My .emacs includes:
>
> (org-babel-do-load-languages 'org-babel-load-languages '((R . t)))
>
> I've searched for a solution and read the notes about upgrading to Org 8
> (which may have occurred during the update?), but have not found a solution.
> Can someone point me in the right direction, please? Thanks.

This is weird as it's part of `org.el' (and is supposed to be autoloaded)...

  ╭────
  │ org-babel-do-load-languages is an autoloaded Lisp function in `org.el'.
  │
  │ (org-babel-do-load-languages SYM VALUE)
  │
  │ Load the languages defined in `org-babel-load-languages'.
  ╰────

Maybe type a `make autoloads' if you use the Git version...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Babel issue after upgrade to Org 8?
@ 2013-08-08  5:00 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-08-08  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

SabreWolfy writes:
> I've recently updated my Debian unstable installation and Emacs now reports
> this on startup:
>
> Symbol's function definition is void: org-babel-do-load-language

If that's the actual error message, then you need to find where you've
made the typo of leaving out the final "s" on that symbol name.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: Babel issue after upgrade to Org 8?
@ 2013-10-23 10:59 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-10-23 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

SabreWolfy <sabrewolfy <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I've recently updated my Debian unstable installation and Emacs now
reports
> this on startup:
>
> Symbol's function definition is void: org-babel-do-load-language
>
> My .emacs includes:
>
> (org-babel-do-load-languages 'org-babel-load-languages '((R . t)))
>
> I've searched for a solution and read the notes about upgrading to Org 8
> (which may have occurred during the update?), but have not found a
solution.
> Can someone point me in the right direction, please? Thanks.

I just had this problem after upgrading from Ubuntu 13.04 to 13.10. I have
not changed my .emacs file, and the part which loads babel in my .emacs file
reads

(org-babel-do-load-languages
 'org-babel-load-languages
 '((python . t)
   ))

The error I get reads,
"Symbol's function definition is void: org-babel-do-load-languages"

I'm on org-mode 8.0.6 (Ubuntu package:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/org-mode/8.0.6-3 ), and I believe this
package is straight from the Debian packages. Did this problem ever get
resolved? Needless to say, everything worked before the upgrade.

Thanks,
Rasmus

* Re: Babel issue after upgrade to Org 8?
@ 2013-10-25  1:48   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-10-25  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

The `org-babel-do-load-languages' function is defined in the current
version of Emacs and with the current Org-mode.  Maybe the debian
package is screwed up in some way?  I get the following

    $  emacs --batch --eval '(message "defined? %S" (functionp (quote org-babel-do-load-languages)))'
    defined? t

with the following version of Emacs

    $ emacs --version
    GNU Emacs 24.3.1
    GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    You may redistribute copies of Emacs
    under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
    For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: Babel issue after upgrade to Org 8?
@ 2013-10-25  8:51     ` Rasmus Karlsson
From: Rasmus Karlsson @ 2013-10-25  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric!
Thanks for the help. Your command was quite useful. It turns out that on
emacs23,
you get
defined? nil
However, on emacs24 you get
defined? t
So it seems I just need to use the newest emacs version!

Thanks!

Rasmus

--
Rasmus Karlsson, PhD student