* Using Variable Width Fonts for org-mode and Fixed Width for Tables
@ 2013-09-26 13:51 Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2013-09-26 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org mode

I am struggling to get this to work. In my init files I have:

(set-default-font "DejaVu Serif Italic")

I have followed the advice on StackOverflow
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3758139/variable-pitch-for-org-mode-fixed-pitch-for-tables
and customized my Init file to include:

(set-face-attribute 'org-table nil :inherit 'fixed-pitch)

However, table formatting is still screwed up. C-u C-x = shows

     xft:-unknown-IM FELL DW
Pica-normal-italic-normal-*-15-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 (#x29)

Character code properties: customize what to show
   name: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER F
   general-category: Lu (Letter, Uppercase)
   decomposition: (70) ('F')

There are text properties here:
   face                 org-table
   fontified            t
   line-prefix          [Show]
   wrap-prefix          [Show]

I have tried setting the font for org-table using Emacs Customize
Interface, but without any success. Ideally I want tables to use a
monospace font like Inconsolata or DejaVu mono. Can anyone provide an
example of how to set org-table to use a specified fixed width font.

Ian.

* Re: Using Variable Width Fonts for org-mode and Fixed Width forTabless
@ 2013-09-27  7:19 ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2013-09-27  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ian; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org mode

Hi Ian,

lists@wilkesley.net writes:

> I am struggling to get this to work. In my init files I have:
>
> (set-default-font "DejaVu Serif Italic")
>
> I have followed the advice on StackOverflow
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3758139/variable-pitch-for-org-mode-fixed-pitch-for-tables
> and customized my Init file to include:
>
> (set-face-attribute 'org-table nil :inherit 'fixed-pitch)
>
> However, table formatting is still screwed up. C-u C-x = shows
>
>      xft:-unknown-IM FELL DW
> Pica-normal-italic-normal-*-15-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 (#x29)
>
> Character code properties: customize what to show
>    name: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER F
>    general-category: Lu (Letter, Uppercase)
>    decomposition: (70) ('F')
>
> There are text properties here:
>    face                 org-table
>    fontified            t
>    line-prefix          [Show]
>    wrap-prefix          [Show]
>
> I have tried setting the font for org-table using Emacs Customize
> Interface, but without any success. Ideally I want tables to use a
> monospace font like Inconsolata or DejaVu mono. Can anyone provide an
> example of how to set org-table to use a specified fixed width font.

I've played a little with this, and here is what I have (straight from
my config file).

First, I set up the font for variable pitch, and I tell emacs to use it
for text modes.

** setup
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (set-face-attribute 'variable-pitch nil :family "Ubuntu")
  (set-face-attribute 'variable-pitch nil :height 140)

  (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'variable-pitch-mode)
#+END_SRC

Then I set up exceptions for some faces in some modes. I have exceptions
for info, mu4e, and org mode. Here are the ones for org mode.

** org
from http://yoo2080.wordpress.com/2013/05/30/monospace-font-in-tables-and-source-code-blocks-in-org-mode-proportional-font-in-other-parts/

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (defun my-adjoin-to-list-or-symbol (element list-or-symbol)
    (let ((list (if (not (listp list-or-symbol))
                    (list list-or-symbol)
                  list-or-symbol)))
      (require 'cl-lib)
      (cl-adjoin element list)))

  (mapc
   (lambda (face)
     (set-face-attribute
      face nil
      :inherit
      (my-adjoin-to-list-or-symbol
       'fixed-pitch
       (face-attribute face :inherit))))
   (list 'org-code 'org-block 'org-table 'org-block-background 'org-date 'org-link 'org-footnote))
#+END_SRC

What this says is: use fixed-pitch for the faces in the list at the
end. I have to include dates, links, and footnotes because I use them in
tables and I don't know how to conditionally change a face (i.e., use
fixed-pitch for links in tables but not for links in other places).

Hopefully this will work for you.

Alan

* Re: Using Variable Width Fonts for org-mode and Fixed Width forTabless
@ 2013-10-02  8:28   ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2013-10-02  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 27/09/13 08:19, Alan Schmitt wrote:
> [...]
>                      (list list-or-symbol)
>                    list-or-symbol)))
>        (require 'cl-lib)
>        (cl-adjoin element list)))
>
>    (mapc
>     (lambda (face)
>       (set-face-attribute
>        face nil
>        :inherit
>        (my-adjoin-to-list-or-symbol
>         'fixed-pitch
>         (face-attribute face :inherit))))
>     (list 'org-code 'org-block 'org-table 'org-block-background 'org-date 'org-link 'org-footnote))
> #+END_SRC
>
> What this says is: use fixed-pitch for the faces in the list at the
> end. I have to include dates, links, and footnotes because I use them in
> tables and I don't know how to conditionally change a face (i.e., use
> fixed-pitch for links in tables but not for links in other places).

Hi Alan,

That sort of works. The fonts in org-table, etc are fixed pitch as
expected. However, I seem unable to set a variable width font using
text-mode-hook. Whatever font I choose Emacs ends up using DejaVu Sans
Mono. I have tried several fonts that Emacs should be able to use by
listing them with (print (font-family-list)).

If I set the font instead using set-default-font org-table, etc claim
they are using a fixed pitch font, but they don't look as though they are.

Ian.

* Re: Using Variable Width Fonts for org-mode and Fixed WidthforTablesss
@ 2013-10-02  9:10     ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2013-10-02  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ian; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ian,

lists@wilkesley.net writes:

> That sort of works. The fonts in org-table, etc are fixed pitch as
> expected. However, I seem unable to set a variable width font using
> text-mode-hook. Whatever font I choose Emacs ends up using DejaVu Sans
> Mono.

Is it because the "variable-pitch-mode" is not set, or because the face
associated with it is not applied? What happens when you do a "M-x
variable-pitch-mode"?

Alan

* Re: Using Variable Width Fonts for org-mode and Fixed WidthforTablesss
@ 2013-10-02 10:34       ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2013-10-02 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 02/10/13 10:10, Alan Schmitt wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> lists@wilkesley.net writes:
> ur help.
>> That sort of works. The fonts in org-table, etc are fixed pitch as
>> expected. However, I seem unable to set a variable width font using
>> text-mode-hook. Whatever font I choose Emacs ends up using DejaVu Sans
>> Mono.
>
> Is it because the "variable-pitch-mode" is not set, or because the face
> associated with it is not applied? What happens when you do a "M-x
> variable-pitch-mode"?
>
> Alan

Aha! As you suggest variable-pitch-mode isn't being set. Doing an "M-x
variable-pitch-mode" sets the font correctly. So either text-mode-hook
isn't being called, or something is resetting it.

[Time passes...]
Just had a look through my .emacs and I was using text-mode-hook later
on to turn on autofill. So problem solved, thanks very much for your help.

Ian.