* Org-mode 4.72
@ 2007-04-24  7:47 Carsten Dominik
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-04-24  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

org-mode version 4.72 is now available at

http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org

Enjoy!

- Carsten

Changes in version 4.72
-----------------------

* Overview

   - Control over blank lines between trees in collapsed view.
   - Info about the running clock is shown in the modeline.
   - C-a can behave specially in headlines.
   - Better color and scaling defaults for LaTeX fragments.
   - Customizable list of keys in org-mode to be replaced.
   - Stuck project descriptions have been extended.
   - Emphasis code has been modified to fix some issues.
   - Bug fixes.

* Incompatible changes

   - The option `org-format-latex-options' has changed.  If you
     have customized it, please revert to default and then redo
     your customization.

   - `org-CUA-compatible' no longer modifies S-RET by default,
     because newer versions of CUA don't use this key anymore.
     If you need this replacement, customize the variable
     `org-disputed-keys'.

   - The variable `org-CUA-compatible' is obsolete, please use
     `org-replace-disputed-keys' instead.  `org-CUA-compatible'
     is still an alias for this new variable, though.

* Details

   - Better control over blank lines between trees in collapsed
     view.  This has come up several times in the past and most
     recently by Scott Jaderholm.  There is now a new variable
     `org-cycle-separator-lines' with default value 2.  It says
     how many empty lines there need to be after the end of a
     subtree to get an empty line in collapsed view.  So with the
     default, if you leave only one empty line it will disappear
     in collapsed view.  If you leave two, one empty line will
     remain so that you can use double empty lines to structure
     the collapsed views of a file.  I love it, so many thanks to
     Scott for bringing this up again.

     One property of the new setup is that you will never get
     more than one blank line in collapsed view.  We could do
     something special to allow *several* empty lines in
     collapsed view, but I think this is counter-productive.

     In Emacs 22, if you want to make full use of this, make sure
     that you have not set `outline-blank-line'.

   - When the clock is running, Org-mode will put info about it
     into the modeline.  The info consists of the elapsed time
     and the heading of the clocked item.  This was a proposal
     from Bastien who got the idea from Muse.

   - C-a can behave specially in headlines when you set the
     variable `org-special-ctrl-a'.  It will bring the cursor
     first back only to the beginning of the headline *text*,
     i.e. after the stars and the TODO keyword, if any.  A second
     C-a will then move the cursor to the beginning of the line.
     If the cursor is already at the beginning of the line, C-a
     will spring *forward* to the headline text.  This was a
     proposal from Leo, based on a request from Scott Jaderholm.

     I have not turned this turned this on by default, should I?

   - When LaTeX fragments are processed into images, there is now
     more control and (hopefully) betters defaults for colors and
     scaling.  Special values can be set for HTML export, so that
     these values can differ from what is used for display in an
     emacs buffer.  The default foreground and background colors
     for images embedded in emacs are now taken from the default
     emacs face.  Thanks to Xiao-Yong Jin for proposing these
     changes.

   - There is now a much better mechanism to change some keys in
     org-mode if these keys clash with other modes you use.  Turn
     this on by setting `org-replace-disputed-keys' (aliased to
     `org-CUA-compatible').  The list of keys to replace is now
     fully customizable, see the option `org-disputed-keys'.
     Many thanks to Meciej Katafiasz for a patch implementing
     this.

   - Stuck project descriptions have been extended.  You can now
     use "*" as a TODO keyword or tag to say that *any* TODO
     keyword or TAG marks a project as non-stuck.  You also can
     give an arbitrary regular expression that, if it matches,
     indicates a non-stuck project.

   - The code for emphasis like bold, italic etc has been
     modified - I might have broken something in the process,
     please let me know if you find problems.

   - A number of bugs have been fixed - those where I have
     replied "Fixed" on the mailing list.

* Re: Org-mode 4.72
@ 2007-04-24 14:32 ` Scott Jaderholm
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Scott Jaderholm @ 2007-04-24 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 4/24/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

>    - Better control over blank lines between trees in collapsed
>      view.  This has come up several times in the past and most
>      recently by Scott Jaderholm.  There is now a new variable
>      `org-cycle-separator-lines' with default value 2.  It says
>      how many empty lines there need to be after the end of a
>      subtree to get an empty line in collapsed view.

Thank you very much Carsten for implementing this! It looks like it's only
working with level 1 headings though--is that so?

--Scott

* Re: Org-mode 4.72
@ 2007-04-24 14:53 ` Eddward DeVilla
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2007-04-24 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 4/24/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

>    - C-a can behave specially in headlines when you set the
>      variable `org-special-ctrl-a'.  It will bring the cursor
>      first back only to the beginning of the headline *text*,
>      i.e. after the stars and the TODO keyword, if any.  A second
>      C-a will then move the cursor to the beginning of the line.
>      If the cursor is already at the beginning of the line, C-a
>      will spring *forward* to the headline text.  This was a
>      proposal from Leo, based on a request from Scott Jaderholm.
>
>      I have not turned this turned this on by default, should I?

    Changing the behavior of something as common as C-a could be very
confusing to someone just learning org-mode.  I'd be afraid to change
the default.  On the other hand, I think it would be very useful to
folks seriously using org-mode, so I would also say advertise it in
lights.  Maybe put it under Navigate Headings as a checkbox.  If it
could be saved with Save Options under Options, that might not be a
bad idea either.
    Also it's been a while since I've complemented your work.
Org-mode continues to become ever more powerful & flexible and yet
each of the features are simple to use and understand.  The recent
changes to TODO items that allow multiple sequences and done states is
excellent.  I've finally had a chance to start using formulas in
tables and that works great.  The recent changes to the stuck project
matching looks useful and I'll probably have to look into using that.
    Right now my current experiment is with writing a custom transform
on top of orgtbl-to-generic to generate a statically initialized
commented, array of nested C/C++ structures.  I think I want to be
able to go both ways.  Is there a function that can take the same kind
of data that gets passed to table transform functions that can insert
a table into a buffer?  If not I can create an unformatted table and
just hit C-c C-c.

Edd

* Re: Org-mode 4.72
@ 2007-04-24 16:07 ` Scott Jaderholm
From: Scott Jaderholm @ 2007-04-24 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 4/24/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

>    - The variable `org-CUA-compatible' is obsolete, please use
>      `org-replace-disputed-keys' instead.  `org-CUA-compatible'
>      is still an alias for this new variable, though.

I'm not sure if this is just my system, but it looks like defvaralias isn't
in emacs 21.4.1. This error prevents org-mode from running.
-
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function defvaralias)
  (defvaralias (quote org-CUA-compatible) (quote org-replace-disputed-keys))
  execute-extended-command(nil)
* call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

* Re: Org-mode 4.72
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-04-25  3:43 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-04-25  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> org-mode version 4.72 is now available at
> http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org

I cannot compile Org-mode 4.72 here with GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1
(i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.6).

I stumbled upon this defun that i cannot eval properly (line 3786) :

,----
| (org-defkey org-mouse-map
|   (if (featurep 'xemacs) [button2] [mouse-2]) 'org-open-at-mouse)
`----

Seems there is something wrong with S-up.  Here is a backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument sequencep S-up)
  apply(debug error (wrong-type-argument sequencep S-up))
  edebug(error (wrong-type-argument sequencep S-up))
  key-description(S-up)
  (equal (key-description (car x)) nkey)
  (lambda (x) (equal (key-description ...) nkey))((S-up [(shift up)] [(meta 112)]))
  cl-position(nil ((S-up [...] [...]) (S-down [...] [...]) (S-left [...] [...]) (S-right [...] [...]) (S-return [...] [...])) 0 nil nil)
  position(nil ((S-up [...] [...]) (S-down [...] [...]) (S-left [...] [...]) (S-right [...] [...]) (S-return [...] [...])) :if (lambda (x) (equal (key-description ...) nkey)))
  apply(position nil ((S-up [...] [...]) (S-down [...] [...]) (S-left [...] [...]) (S-right [...] [...]) (S-return [...] [...])) (:if (lambda (x) (equal ... nkey))))
  find(nil ((S-up [...] [...]) (S-down [...] [...]) (S-left [...] [...]) (S-right [...] [...]) (S-return [...] [...])) :if (lambda (x) (equal (key-description ...) nkey)))
  apply(find nil ((S-up [...] [...]) (S-down [...] [...]) (S-left [...] [...]) (S-right [...] [...]) (S-return [...] [...])) :if (lambda (x) (equal (key-description ...) nkey)) nil)
  find-if((lambda (x) (equal (key-description ...) nkey)) ((S-up [...] [...]) (S-down [...] [...]) (S-left [...] [...]) (S-right [...] [...]) (S-return [...] [...])))
  (let* ((nkey ...) (x ...)) (cond (... key) (org-replace-disputed-keys ...) (t ...)))
  org-key([mouse-2])
  (define-key keymap (org-key key) def)
  org-defkey((keymap (13 . org-open-at-point) (return . org-open-at-point) (follow-link . mouse-face) (mouse-3 . org-find-file-at-mouse) (mouse-2 . org-open-at-mouse)) [mouse-2] org-open-at-mouse)
  eval((org-defkey org-mouse-map (if (featurep ...) [button2] [mouse-2]) (quote org-open-at-mouse)))
  eval-last-sexp-1(nil)
  eval-last-sexp(nil)

--
Bastien

* Re: Org-mode 4.72
@ 2007-04-25  4:23   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-04-25  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 25, 2007, at 5:43, Bastien wrote:

> I cannot compile Org-mode 4.72 here with GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1
> (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.6).

Are you setting org-disputed-keys in your setup?  Don't.
Remove the line doing this, and then customize this variable.

- Carsten

* Re: Org-mode 4.72
@ 2007-04-25  4:35   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-04-25  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Jaderholm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yes, a bug...

:-(

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam

* Re: Org-mode 4.72
@ 2007-04-25  4:37   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-04-25  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Jaderholm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Fixed, thanks.

- Carsten

On Apr 24, 2007, at 18:07, Scott Jaderholm wrote:

> On 4/24/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>>
>>    - The variable `org-CUA-compatible' is obsolete, please use
>>      `org-replace-disputed-keys' instead.  `org-CUA-compatible'
>>      is still an alias for this new variable, though.
>  I'm not sure if this is just my system, but it looks like defvaralias
> isn't in emacs 21.4.1. This error prevents org-mode from running.
>  -
>  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function defvaralias)
>    (defvaralias (quote org-CUA-compatible) (quote
> org-replace-disputed-keys))
>    execute-extended-command(nil)
>  * call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: Org-mode 4.72
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-04-25  4:38 ` Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2007-04-25  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Hi,
>
> org-mode version 4.72 is now available at
>
> http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org
>
> Enjoy!
>
> - Carsten
>
> Changes in version 4.72
> -----------------------
>
>   - When LaTeX fragments are processed into images, there is now
>     more control and (hopefully) betters defaults for colors and
>     scaling.  Special values can be set for HTML export, so that
>     these values can differ from what is used for display in an
>     emacs buffer.  The default foreground and background colors
>     for images embedded in emacs are now taken from the default
>     emacs face.  Thanks to Xiao-Yong Jin for proposing these
>     changes.

Thank you.  I thought my email was just buried in the list.
--

* Re: Org-mode 4.72
@ 2007-05-15 11:41   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-05-15 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eddward DeVilla; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

The option has been added to the "Navigate Headings" menu.

Thanks.

- Carsten