* bug with LaTeX exporter
@ 2013-06-27 22:23 Dennis van Dok
From: Dennis van Dok @ 2013-06-27 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I noticed a bug where a subsubsection without a 'parent' subsection
would migrate up into the previous section to end up under the nearest
subsection.

I tried to make a minimalistic example, but when I export this file to
LaTeX, the entire subsubsection disappears!

This is emacs24 on Debian Wheezy, org-mode version 7.7.

* Bug demonstration

  This short and simple file demonstrates a bug in org-mode with
  exporting to LaTeX.

** First Subsection

   This is a subsection.

* Header

  This is a section, number two in fact.

*** subsubsection

    This is odd: the subsubsection is missing it's natural parent: a
    subsection. Probably not what the author meant, but certainly this
    should not just disappear (which is what happens).

* Another Header

  The third header.

Thanks for making such an awesome product,

Cheers,

Dennis van Dok

--
D.H. van Dok :: Software Engineer :: www.nikhef.nl/grid ::
Phone +31 20 592 22 28 :: http://www.nikhef.nl/~dennisvd/

* Re: bug with LaTeX exporter
@ 2013-06-27 23:57 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-06-27 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Dennis,

> I tried to make a minimalistic example, but when I export this file to
> LaTeX, the entire subsubsection disappears!

Can't reproduce.

> This is emacs24 on Debian Wheezy, org-mode version 7.7.

The current version is 8.0.3.

> * Bug demonstration
>
>   This short and simple file demonstrates a bug in org-mode with
>   exporting to LaTeX.
>
> ** First Subsection
>
>    This is a subsection.
>
> * Header
>
>   This is a section, number two in fact.
>
> *** subsubsection
>
>     This is odd: the subsubsection is missing it's natural parent: a
>     subsection. Probably not what the author meant, but certainly this
>     should not just disappear (which is what happens).

It won't.  But how it's translated depends on #+OPTIONS: H:n where n
is an integer.

To solve your problem:
 1. see if it works as expected with emacs -q.
 2. upgrade to the current release.

> Thanks for making such an awesome product,

Org ain't a commodity.

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
C is for Cookie

* Re: bug with LaTeX exporter
@ 2013-06-28  2:26   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-06-28  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Hello Dennis,
>
>> I tried to make a minimalistic example, but when I export this file to
>> LaTeX, the entire subsubsection disappears!
>
> Can't reproduce.
>
>> This is emacs24 on Debian Wheezy, org-mode version 7.7.
>
> The current version is 8.0.3.
>
>> * Bug demonstration
>>
>>   This short and simple file demonstrates a bug in org-mode with
>>   exporting to LaTeX.
>>
>> ** First Subsection
>>
>>    This is a subsection.
>>
>> * Header
>>
>>   This is a section, number two in fact.
>>
>> *** subsubsection
>>
>>     This is odd: the subsubsection is missing it's natural parent: a
>>     subsection. Probably not what the author meant, but certainly this
>>     should not just disappear (which is what happens).
>
> It won't.  But how it's translated depends on #+OPTIONS: H:n where n
> is an integer.

The old latex exporter was much more finicky about such structure
violations: I tried 7.7 (and 7.9.4 to see if it was ever changed) and it
does indeed eat the subsubsection.

> To solve your problem:
>  1. see if it works as expected with emacs -q.
>  2. upgrade to the current release.

2. is the only option.

>> Thanks for making such an awesome product,
>
> Org ain't a commodity.

Indeed: it's a state of mind :-)

--
Nick

* Re: bug with LaTeX exporter
@ 2013-06-28  7:38     ` Dennis van Dok
From: Dennis van Dok @ 2013-06-28  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 28-06-13 04:26, Nick Dokos wrote:
> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>
> The old latex exporter was much more finicky about such structure
> violations: I tried 7.7 (and 7.9.4 to see if it was ever changed) and it
> does indeed eat the subsubsection.
>
>> To solve your problem:
>>  1. see if it works as expected with emacs -q.
>>  2. upgrade to the current release.
>>

> 2. is the only option.

I'm going to upgrade now. Thanks for the quick responses!

>>> Thanks for making such an awesome product,
>>
>> Org ain't a commodity.
>>

> Indeed: it's a state of mind :-)

Thanks for making such an awesome state of mind!

;-)

Dennis