* multiline agenda and/or two-pane agenda selection
@ 2012-10-15 17:01 Ben
From: Ben @ 2012-10-15 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I hope this isn't in the FAQ or documentation---I tried to look through
both according to the instructions but this seems like a basic question
so my apologies if I'm missing something stupid.

I'm starting to use org-mode and its agenda view and like it a lot.
However, I would like to modify it so one of two things happen:

1) Easy agenda navigation
---------------------------------------

Currently I like how I can press Enter (bound to org-agenda-switch-to
apparently) in the agenda view and it will show me the relevant spot in
an org file.  However, it replaces the agenda view with the org file,
meaning I have to switch back to the agenda file and press extra keystrokes.

I almost always use emacs with two windows open (tiled side by side in
one frame).  Is it possible for Enter to open up the org file in the
other window, leaving the agenda window unchanged?  I found the
org-agenda-window-setup command, but it seems to govern how the agenda
window is displayed instead of how the agenda opens other windows.

2) Multi-line agenda listings
--------------------------------------

If that isn't possible or recommended, it would be nice if I could have
a bit more information at a glance in the agenda view.  Sometimes I
can't tell in my agenda what a TODO item is because it's out of
context.  For instance, if in my org file it says

     * Client XYZ
         * TODO Call Bob about paperwork
             SCHEDULED: <2012-10-15 Mon>

Then in the agenda it says:

     Monday    15 October 1012
         work:    Scheduled:    TODO Call Bob about paperwork

This is good but sometimes I wonder which "Bob" or what "paperwork" it's
talking about.  For me I think it would be nicer if the heading it's
under would also appear, so the agenda view would look like:

     Monday    15 October 1012
         work:    Scheduled:    Client XYZ
                                                  TODO Call Bob about
paperwork

so I have a bit more context.  Perhaps other lines could be displayed
too depending on the settings.

Thanks for any ideas,
--
Ben

* Re: multiline agenda and/or two-pane agenda selection
@ 2012-10-15 17:10 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-10-15 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ben <misc10@emerose.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I hope this isn't in the FAQ or documentation---I tried to look
> through both according to the instructions but this seems like a basic
> question so my apologies if I'm missing something stupid.
>
> I'm starting to use org-mode and its agenda view and like it a lot.
> However, I would like to modify it so one of two things happen:
>
> 1) Easy agenda navigation
> ---------------------------------------
>
> Currently I like how I can press Enter (bound to org-agenda-switch-to
> apparently) in the agenda view and it will show me the relevant spot
> in an org file.  However, it replaces the agenda view with the org
> file, meaning I have to switch back to the agenda file and press extra
> keystrokes.

Try <SPACE> instead of <ENTER>.

Nick

* Re: multiline agenda and/or two-pane agenda selection
@ 2012-10-15 17:50   ` François Allisson
From: François Allisson @ 2012-10-15 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben; +Cc: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

Le lundi 15 oct 2012 à 13:10:58 (-0400), Nick Dokos a écrit :
> Ben <misc10@emerose.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I hope this isn't in the FAQ or documentation---I tried to look
> > through both according to the instructions but this seems like a basic
> > question so my apologies if I'm missing something stupid.
> >
> > I'm starting to use org-mode and its agenda view and like it a lot.
> > However, I would like to modify it so one of two things happen:
> >
> > 1) Easy agenda navigation
> > ---------------------------------------
> >
> > Currently I like how I can press Enter (bound to org-agenda-switch-to
> > apparently) in the agenda view and it will show me the relevant spot
> > in an org file.  However, it replaces the agenda view with the org
> > file, meaning I have to switch back to the agenda file and press extra
> > keystrokes.
> >

> Try <SPACE> instead of <ENTER>.
>
> Nick

You can also try the follow mode, with the key "F" in the agenda view.
And then move with "n" and "p". If you like it and would like to make it
by default, just add (setq org-agenda-start-with-follow-mode t) in your
.emacs . It will perhaps even solve your second point?

François.

* Re: multiline agenda and/or two-pane agenda selection
@ 2012-10-15 20:16     ` Ben
From: Ben @ 2012-10-15 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: François Allisson, Nick Dokos

On 10/15/2012 12:50 PM, François Allisson wrote:
> Le lundi 15 oct 2012 à 13:10:58 (-0400), Nick Dokos a écrit :
>> Try<SPACE>  instead of<ENTER>.
>>
>> You can also try the follow mode, with the key "F" in the agenda view.
>> And then move with "n" and "p". If you like it and would like to make it by default, just add (setq org-agenda-start-with-follow-mode t) in your .emacs . It will perhaps even solve your second point?
Excellent, thanks to both of you!

--
Ben Escoto

* Re: multiline agenda and/or two-pane agenda selection
@ 2012-10-23 10:12 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2012-10-23 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ben <misc10@emerose.org> writes:

> 2) Multi-line agenda listings
> --------------------------------------
>
> If that isn't possible or recommended, it would be nice if I could
> have a bit more information at a glance in the agenda view.  Sometimes
> I can't tell in my agenda what a TODO item is because it's out of
> context.  For instance, if in my org file it says
>
>     * Client XYZ
>         * TODO Call Bob about paperwork
>             SCHEDULED: <2012-10-15 Mon>
>
> Then in the agenda it says:
>
>     Monday    15 October 1012
>         work:    Scheduled:    TODO Call Bob about paperwork
>
> This is good but sometimes I wonder which "Bob" or what "paperwork"
> it's talking about.  For me I think it would be nicer if the heading
> it's under would also appear, so the agenda view would look like:
>
>     Monday    15 October 1012
>         work:    Scheduled:    Client XYZ
>                                                  TODO Call Bob about
> paperwork
>
> so I have a bit more context.  Perhaps other lines could be displayed
> too depending on the settings.

The modeline should show the path of your agenda item when you move
around in the agenda.

ie. "file.org/Client XYZ/Call Bob about paperwork"

You can also use E in the agenda to add a few more lines of context from
your tasks to the agenda.  Maybe that will help?

Regards,
Bernt