* org-mode on iPhone or Android: recommendations?
@ 2010-03-19 18:00 ` Martin Stemplinger
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Martin Stemplinger @ 2010-03-19 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I currently think if I should buy a new smartphone but of course I need support for org-mode ☺. Now
there is mobileorg  for the iPhone and a port to Android.

I tend to prefer an Android phone but would like to be able to access org-mode. May I ask for advice or feedback from people
who tested the port?

Thanks in advance
Martin

* Re: org-mode on iPhone or Android: recommendations?
@ 2010-03-19 18:52   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-03-19 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Stemplinger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 19:00:04 +0100, "Martin Stemplinger" <mstemplinger@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I currently think if I should buy a new smartphone but of course I need support for org-mode ☺. Now
> there is mobileorg  for the iPhone and a port to Android.
>
> I tend to prefer an Android phone but would like to be able to access org-mode. May I ask for advice or feedback from people
> who tested the port?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Martin

I can't help you with your direct query but I can suggest that there
is another alternative to both the iPhone and Android systems: the
nokia internet tablet systems which now include the N900 smartphone.
I have the N810 and run Emacs 22 with org-mode on it very nicely.
Although I don't have the N900, there are reports of it running Emacs
23 on the web.

Like Android, Maemo is Linux based.

HTH.

* Re: org-mode on iPhone or Android: recommendations?
@ 2010-03-19 19:09   ` Tom X. Tobin
From: Tom X. Tobin @ 2010-03-19 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Martin Stemplinger <mstemplinger@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I currently think if I should buy a new smartphone but of course I need support for org-mode ☺. Now
> there is mobileorg  for the iPhone and a port to Android.
>
> I tend to prefer an Android phone but would like to be able to access org-mode. May I ask for advice or feedback from people
> who tested the port?

I own both an iPhone and an Android phone; I'm currently using the
Android phone (a G1), and I'll try to test the Android org-mode app
this weekend.

The iPhone MobileOrg app is okay.  It's good enough for quickly
pulling up org info and/or storing unfiled notes (in the vein of
remember.el) which you then file when you're back at your computer and
sync the changes.  It's *not* a fully-functional replacement for
org-mode on the go; editing existing entries is unwieldy, and agenda
views need to be pre-computed from Emacs before syncing.

* Re: org-mode on iPhone or Android: recommendations?
@ 2010-03-22 15:22   ` Matthew Jones
From: Matthew Jones @ 2010-03-22 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Stemplinger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Martin, I'm working on the Android port of MobileOrg.  Currently it is in
an early alpha stage and has very limited features.  The goal is to reach
feature parity with the iPhone and then to extend it and add niceties like a
Widget that would let you view your agenda.  Another poster mentioned using
the N900 which is a great option if you want a full blown emacs and org-mode
at your fingertips.

The goal of MobileOrg (at least from my perspective) is not to implement
100% of Org's features (since I'm not interested in porting emacs itself),
but rather to make MobileOrg a good compliment to Org on your workstation.

There's a certain core set of features that will be implemented and then
based on community feedback, that can be extended.  Right now it is fairly
useful for staying synchronized on your mobile device but without the
ability to change task states or push new notes back to the server... that's
what I am currently working on.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me, or if you want to
get involved or check out the code, or run it through an emulator to get a
feel for it then you can grab the source from github at:
http://github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android

73,
Matthew W. Jones (KI4ZIB)
http://matburt.net

@ 2010-03-22 18:53     ` tr
From: tr @ 2010-03-22 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf <at> ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 19:00:04 +0100, "Martin Stemplinger" <mstemplinger <at>
gmx.de> wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I currently think if I should buy a new smartphone but of course I need
support for org-mode ☺. Now
> > there is mobileorg  for the iPhone and a port to Android.
> >
> > I tend to prefer an Android phone but would like to be able to access
org-mode. May I ask for advice or
> feedback from people
> > who tested the port?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > Martin
>
> I can't help you with your direct query but I can suggest that there
> is another alternative to both the iPhone and Android systems: the
> nokia internet tablet systems which now include the N900 smartphone.
> I have the N810 and run Emacs 22 with org-mode on it very nicely.
> Although I don't have the N900, there are reports of it running Emacs

The n900 runs emacs and org-mode very well.  The keyboard has to be remapped but
it is easily done.  Someone's also figured out texting and calling from bbdb.  I
got the device specifically to run emacs and it's worked out much better than
I'd hoped.

tr