* Variable `org-mobile-directory` must point to an existing directory. Multiplatform setup, howto
@ 2012-05-26 19:00 Orlando López D.
From: Orlando López D. @ 2012-05-26 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I configured emacs org-mode on a Mac, working properly, having my org files
and MobileOrg file within my DropBox folder ( ~/DropBox/ ).

Now, I will like to get my emacs setup working properly on my Windows box.
I have been able to get it working in terms of reading my .emacs file and
emacs.d folder, shared through simlink config.

Everything seems to be working properly, except that when I  want to
execute org-mobile-pull or org-mobile-push on Windows, I get the following
error: "Variable `org-mobile-directory` must point to an existing directory
"

The problem seems to be that emacs isn't configured to read or point to the
org-mobile directory , per the paths set in .emacs (eg. = "~/DropBox/
...........").

I found some info on the web, which pointed to setting a parameter on
.emacs so that it identified while running on Windows, that it should look
into a directory structure.

Now, how should I accomplish this appropriately?

I found some examples of:

;;On Windows
(if (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
    (progn
       (setq default-directory "C:\Usuarios/User/")
     )
)

But it doesn't seem to be doing the job.

Thanks for any help.

* Re: Variable `org-mobile-directory` must point to an existing directory. Multiplatform setup, howto
@ 2012-05-27  9:59 ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2012-05-27  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 26/05/12 20:00, Orlando López D. wrote:
> I configured emacs org-mode on a Mac, working properly, having my org
> files and MobileOrg file within my DropBox folder ( ~/DropBox/ ).
>
> Now, I will like to get my emacs setup working properly on my Windows
> box. I have been able to get it working in terms of reading my .emacs
> file and emacs.d folder, shared through simlink config.
>
> Everything seems to be working properly, except that when I  want to
> execute org-mobile-pull or org-mobile-push on Windows, I get the
> following error: "Variable `org-mobile-directory` must point to an
> existing directory "
>
> The problem seems to be that emacs isn't configured to read or point to
> the org-mobile directory , per the paths set in .emacs (eg. =
> "~/DropBox/ ...........").

Running on Linux I found I needed the following in my .emacs:

(setq org-directory "~/dropbox/org/org_files")
(setq org-mobile-directory "~/dropbox/MobileOrg")
(setq org-mobile-inbox-for-pull
"~/dropbox/org/org_files/tasks/org_inbox.org")

Have you got all these set? Somewhere there is a possible bug where a
misleading error message gets displayed referring to
org-mobile-directory, when it means org-directory. I keep meaning to try
and track it down.

Ian.

* Re: Variable `org-mobile-directory` must point to an existing directory. Multiplatform setup, howto
@ 2012-05-28 14:45   ` Orlando
From: Orlando @ 2012-05-28 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ian Barton <lists <at> wilkesley.net> writes:

> On 26/05/12 20:00, Orlando López D. wrote:
> > I configured emacs org-mode on a Mac, working properly, having my org
> > files and MobileOrg file within my DropBox folder ( ~/DropBox/ ).
> >
> > Now, I will like to get my emacs setup working properly on my Windows
> > box. I have been able to get it working in terms of reading my .emacs
> > file and emacs.d folder, shared through simlink config.
> >
> > Everything seems to be working properly, except that when I  want to
> > execute org-mobile-pull or org-mobile-push on Windows, I get the
> > following error: "Variable `org-mobile-directory` must point to an
> > existing directory "
> >
> > The problem seems to be that emacs isn't configured to read or point to
> > the org-mobile directory , per the paths set in .emacs (eg. =
> > "~/DropBox/ ...........").
> >

> Running on Linux I found I needed the following in my .emacs:
>
> (setq org-directory "~/dropbox/org/org_files")
> (setq org-mobile-directory "~/dropbox/MobileOrg")
> (setq org-mobile-inbox-for-pull
> "~/dropbox/org/org_files/tasks/org_inbox.org")
>
> Have you got all these set? Somewhere there is a possible bug where a
> misleading error message gets displayed referring to
> org-mobile-directory, when it means org-directory. I keep meaning to try
> and track it down.
>
> Ian.

Ian, thanks for your e-mail.

I have the following configuration, which doesn´t seems to defer in concept with
yours:

;; Set to the location of your Org files on your local system
(setq org-directory "~/DropBox/org")
;; Set to the name of the file where new notes will be stored
(setq org-mobile-inbox-for-pull "~/DropBox/org/flagged.org")
;; Set to <your Dropbox root directory>/MobileOrg.
(setq org-mobile-directory "~/Dropbox/MobileOrg")

Which could be the reason why Windows isn´t locating the path to the existing
directory? Do I need to have any specific configuration on .emacs for Mac and
for Windows?

regards,

Orlando

* Re: Variable `org-mobile-directory` must point to an existing directory. Multiplatform setup, howto
@ 2012-05-29  7:17     ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2012-05-29  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 28/05/12 15:45, Orlando wrote:
> Ian Barton<lists<at>  wilkesley.net>  writes:
>

>> On 26/05/12 20:00, Orlando López D. wrote:
>>> I configured emacs org-mode on a Mac, working properly, having my org
>>> files and MobileOrg file within my DropBox folder ( ~/DropBox/ ).
>>>
>>> Now, I will like to get my emacs setup working properly on my Windows
>>> box. I have been able to get it working in terms of reading my .emacs
>>> file and emacs.d folder, shared through simlink config.
>>>
>>> Everything seems to be working properly, except that when I  want to
>>> execute org-mobile-pull or org-mobile-push on Windows, I get the
>>> following error: "Variable `org-mobile-directory` must point to an
>>> existing directory "
>>>
>>> The problem seems to be that emacs isn't configured to read or point to
>>> the org-mobile directory , per the paths set in .emacs (eg. =
>>> "~/DropBox/ ...........").
>>>

>> Running on Linux I found I needed the following in my .emacs:
>>
>> (setq org-directory "~/dropbox/org/org_files")
>> (setq org-mobile-directory "~/dropbox/MobileOrg")
>> (setq org-mobile-inbox-for-pull
>> "~/dropbox/org/org_files/tasks/org_inbox.org")
>>
>> Have you got all these set? Somewhere there is a possible bug where a
>> misleading error message gets displayed referring to
>> org-mobile-directory, when it means org-directory. I keep meaning to try
>> and track it down.
>>
>> Ian.
>>

> Ian, thanks for your e-mail.
>
> I have the following configuration, which doesn´t seems to defer in concept with
> yours:
>
> ;; Set to the location of your Org files on your local system
> (setq org-directory "~/DropBox/org")
> ;; Set to the name of the file where new notes will be stored
> (setq org-mobile-inbox-for-pull "~/DropBox/org/flagged.org")
> ;; Set to<your Dropbox root directory>/MobileOrg.
> (setq org-mobile-directory "~/Dropbox/MobileOrg")
>
> Which could be the reason why Windows isn´t locating the path to the existing
> directory? Do I need to have any specific configuration on .emacs for Mac and
> for Windows?

Orlando,

I haven't used emacs on Windows for a long time. However, I don't know
if Windows understands the concept of "~/", unless there is some emacs
configuration that allows this. Have you tried setting the paths
explicitly e.g. (setq org-directory "C:/DropBox/org")

Ian.

* Re: Variable `org-mobile-directory` must point to an existing directory. Multiplatform setup, howto
@ 2012-05-29 12:43       ` Jonathan Leech-Pepin
From: Jonathan Leech-Pepin @ 2012-05-29 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orlando.1982; +Cc: ian, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I think by default Windows tries to treat C:\ as ~ when it isn't
explicitly defined beforehand.

If you evaluate the following, does it give the same Windows path as
to the actual folder?

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (expand-file-name "~/Dropbox/MobileOrg")
#+end_src

If not you'll want to try one of the following:

1) Set the Windows Environment Variable "HOME" to the desired location
(C:\Users\<username> for example)
2) Move your Dropbox folder to the location shown by the above code
snippet, it should then recognize it.
3) Replace =~/Dropbox/= in your configuration with the full path to
the Dropbox folder.

Regards,

Jonathan

@ 2012-05-29 16:14         ` Orlando López D.
From: Orlando López D. @ 2012-05-29 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Leech-Pepin; +Cc: ian, emacs-orgmode

Jonathan,

Thanks for your attention to this matter.

After doing an evaluation, I am getting the correct path on my Windows
machine, which is "c:/Users/User/Dropbox/MobileOrg"

What do you recommend that I try next?

Thanks,

@ 2012-05-29 17:38           ` Jonathan Leech-Pepin
From: Jonathan Leech-Pepin @ 2012-05-29 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Orlando López D.; +Cc: ian, emacs-orgmode

Orlando,

Is your username on the machine User?

If it isn't you'll have to change "User" to whatever your account name is.

If it is the right username, then I'm not sure why it wouldn't be
detecting the correct path.

Regards,

@ 2012-05-29 17:40             ` Orlando López D.
From: Orlando López D. @ 2012-05-29 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Leech-Pepin; +Cc: ian, emacs-orgmode

Yes, my user on the computer is "User". Thanks,

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Jonathan Leech-Pepin <

@ 2012-05-29 19:54       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-05-29 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ian Barton writes:
> I haven't used emacs on Windows for a long time. However, I don't know
> if Windows understands the concept of "~/", unless there is some emacs
> configuration that allows this. Have you tried setting the paths
> explicitly e.g. (setq org-directory "C:/DropBox/org")

Emacs understands "~" to mean %USERPROFILE% by default, but if that "~"
transpires to any Windows program it won't know what that is.

Regards,
Achim.