* Simplify repeated same section with different variable value
@ 2012-04-24 12:22 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-04-24 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I have a section which I want to repeat for different variable values. At the moment I am copying
them, but I do not like it at all:

** Species one
:PROPERTIES:
:var: SPECIES="sp1"
:END:
*** Data Checks
Here is some text
#+header: :results output
#+begin_src R
  checkData(species=SPECIES)
#+end_src

** Species 2
:PROPERTIES:
:var: SPECIES="sp2"
:END:
*** Data Checks
Here is some text
#+header: :results output
#+begin_src R
  checkData(species=SPECIES)
#+end_src

I am sure there must be an easier way with org?

Cheers,

Rainer

- --
Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
(Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: Simplify repeated same section with different variable value
@ 2012-04-24 12:36 ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2012-04-24 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R.M.Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:22:48 +0200, Rainer M Krug said:

  > Hi I have a section which I want to repeat for different variable
  > values. At the moment I am copying them, but I do not like it at
  > all:

  > ** Species one :PROPERTIES: :var: SPECIES="sp1" :END: *** Data
  > Checks Here is some text #+header: :results output #+begin_src R
  > checkData(species=SPECIES) #+end_src

  > ** Species 2 :PROPERTIES: :var: SPECIES="sp2" :END: *** Data Checks
  > Here is some text #+header: :results output #+begin_src R
  > checkData(species=SPECIES) #+end_src

  > I am sure there must be an easier way with org?

How about using yasnippet?

  > Cheers,

  > Rainer

Myles

* Re: Simplify repeated same section with different variable value
@ 2012-04-24 13:01   ` Rainer M Krug
       [not found]     ` <r.m.krug@gmail.com>
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-04-24 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, Myles English

On 24/04/12 14:36, Myles English wrote:
>>> On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:22:48 +0200, Rainer M Krug said:
>
>> Hi I have a section which I want to repeat for different variable values. At the moment I am
>> copying them, but I do not like it at all:
>
>> ** Species one :PROPERTIES: :var: SPECIES="sp1" :END: *** Data Checks Here is some text
>> #+header: :results output #+begin_src R checkData(species=SPECIES) #+end_src
>

>> ** Species 2 :PROPERTIES: :var: SPECIES="sp2" :END: *** Data Checks Here is some text
>> #+header: :results output #+begin_src R checkData(species=SPECIES) #+end_src
>

>> I am sure there must be an easier way with org?
>
> How about using yasnippet?

Yasnippets would help in filling the file with the repeated code - but if I want to change e.g.
"some text" to "some more text", I still have to do it manually. Nevertheless, if I could define
the org section once and repeat it with different variable values, this would enable me to change
it only once.

Cheers,

Rainer

>> Cheers,
>
>> Rainer
>
> Myles

- --

@ 2012-04-24 13:43     ` Toby Cubitt
       [not found]     ` <r.m.krug@gmail.com>
From: Toby Cubitt @ 2012-04-24 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 03:01:44PM +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:

> >> Hi I have a section which I want to repeat for different variable
> >> values. At the moment I am copying them, but I do not like it at
> >> all:
> >
> >> ** Species one :PROPERTIES: :var: SPECIES="sp1" :END: *** Data
> >> Checks Here is some text #+header: :results output #+begin_src R
> >> checkData(species=SPECIES) #+end_src
> >

> >> ** Species 2 :PROPERTIES: :var: SPECIES="sp2" :END: *** Data Checks
> >> Here is some text #+header: :results output #+begin_src R
> >> checkData(species=SPECIES) #+end_src
> >

> >> I am sure there must be an easier way with org?
> >
> > How about using yasnippet?
>
> Yasnippets would help in filling the file with the repeated code - but
> if I want to change e.g.  "some text" to "some more text", I still have
> to do it manually. Nevertheless, if I could define the org section once
> and repeat it with different variable values, this would enable me to
> change it only once.

I don't personally know of an org-specific way. But you can do amazing
things with `query-replace-regexp' in Emacs, especially the \# and \,
escapes which, respectively, let you embed the replacement counter and
arbitrary elisp code in the replacement string. (See the docstring or
Emacs manual for details.)

Whether you consider writing regexps and elisp snippets "easier" is open
to debate...

Toby
--
Dr T. S. Cubitt
Mathematics and Quantum Information group

email: tsc25@cantab.net
web:   www.dr-qubit.org

@ 2012-04-24 14:44       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-04-24 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R.M.Krug; +Cc: Myles English, emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Hi I have a section which I want to repeat for different variable values. At the moment I am
> >> copying them, but I do not like it at all:
> >
> >> ** Species one :PROPERTIES: :var: SPECIES="sp1" :END: *** Data Checks Here is some text
> >> #+header: :results output #+begin_src R checkData(species=SPECIES) #+end_src
> >

> >> ** Species 2 :PROPERTIES: :var: SPECIES="sp2" :END: *** Data Checks Here is some text
> >> #+header: :results output #+begin_src R checkData(species=SPECIES) #+end_src
> >

> >> I am sure there must be an easier way with org?
> >
> > How about using yasnippet?
>
> Yasnippets would help in filling the file with the repeated code - but if I want to change e.g.
> "some text" to "some more text", I still have to do it manually. Nevertheless, if I could define
> the org section once and repeat it with different variable values, this would enable me to change
> it only once.

Use the #+call mechanism:

* subroutine

#+name: foo
#+BEGIN_SRC elisp :var x=1
(* x x)
#+END_SRC

* call

#+call: foo(4)

#+RESULTS: foo(4)
: 16

* call

#+call: foo(5)

#+RESULTS: foo(5)
: 25

Nick

* Re: Simplify repeated same section with different variable value
@ 2012-04-24 22:25         ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2012-04-24 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Myles English, emacs-orgmode

If you like the call method (which is the best one IMHO) you can also add
the foo function to the library of babel. In this way you will be able to
call it from any org file without having to put the definition of the foo
function in each of them.

--
Darlan

@ 2012-04-25  8:57           ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-04-25  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira; +Cc: Myles English, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

On 25/04/12 00:25, Darlan Cavalcante Moreira wrote:

> If you like the call method (which is the best one IMHO) you can also add the foo function to
> the library of babel. In this way you will be able to call it from any org file without having
> to put the definition of the foo function in each of them.

I like the #+call method. But I have one additional question: The #+call: should not only execute
the source block, but also wrap the result from the source block in the org structure, so that the
call results in the same as if writing manually in org:

*** Data Checks
Here is some text
#+header: :results output
#+begin_src R
  cat(SPECIES)
#+end_src

I could obviously create the org text by hand in the R function, but I do not like this. So I
would like to have something like the following, i.e. a source org block, which is then evaluated. So

* subroutine
#+NAME: foo
#+BEGIN_SRC org :var SPECIES="sp1"
  ,*** Data Checks
  ,Here is some text
  ,#+header: :results output
  ,#+begin_src R
  ,  cat(SPECIES)
  ,#+end_src
#+END_SRC

* call
#+CALL: foo()

This, I hoped, would result in:

#+RESULTS: foo
*** Data Checks
Here is some text
sp1

But I get an error message: No org-babel-execute function for org!

I am stuck here.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Rainer

> -- Darlan
>
> At Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:44:27 -0400, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:
>>
>> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yasnippets would help in filling the file with the repeated code - but if I want to change
>>> e.g. "some text" to "some more text", I still have to do it manually. Nevertheless, if I
>>> could define the org section once and repeat it with different variable values, this would
>>> enable me to change it only once.
>>>

>> Use the #+call mechanism:
>>
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8--- * subroutine
>>
>> #+name: foo #+BEGIN_SRC elisp :var x=1 (* x x) #+END_SRC
>>
>> * call
>>
>> #+call: foo(4)
>>
>> #+RESULTS: foo(4) : 16
>>
>> * call
>>
>> #+call: foo(5)
>>
>> #+RESULTS: foo(5) : 25 --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>>
>> Nick

- --
Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
(Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* remove all #+RESULTS blocks in a file?
@ 2012-08-22 13:25 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-08-22 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I want to remove all #+RESULTS blocks in a file / section. org-babel-remove-result works nicely for
a single block, but when the cursor is in a heading (e.g. in Test), only the first block is removed.

Is this a bug or a feature?

If a feature, is there a way of removing *all* #+RESULTS bocks in a file?

Thanks,

Rainer

* Test
#+begin_src sh :output both
   echo Test
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: Test

#+begin_src sh :output both
   echo Test
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: Test

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: remove all #+RESULTS blocks in a file?
       [not found]     ` <r.m.krug@gmail.com>
@ 2012-08-22 15:01       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-08-22 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I want to remove all #+RESULTS blocks in a file / section. org-babel-remove-result works nicely for
> a single block, but when the cursor is in a heading (e.g. in Test), only the first block is removed.
>
> Is this a bug or a feature?
>
> If a feature, is there a way of removing *all* #+RESULTS bocks in a file?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rainer
>

> * Test
> #+begin_src sh :output both
>    echo Test
> #+end_src
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : Test
>
> #+begin_src sh :output both
>    echo Test
> #+end_src
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : Test

Although the following will do in a pinch, it is *not* the
best solution: it uses a string match to step from code block
to code block, instead of using org-element; but the idea is
the same, so the org-element solution is left as an exercise for
the interested reader :-)

Note that org-babel-remove-result presupposes that
point is in the corresponding source block: you can't blindly
use it from anywhere.

(defun rmk-org-remove-all-result-blocks ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (while (search-forward "#+begin_src " nil t)
      (org-babel-remove-result))))

Nick