* Access org-tag-alist from #+FILETAGS
@ 2012-02-28 19:28 Charles
From: Charles @ 2012-02-28 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I use a few tags and usually two or three will apply to all entries in a
particular file, e.g. :work:Client:OpenFile: or :Personal:Home:

All my tags are in my .emacs using the org-tag-alist and I want to use
these consistently.

Is there a way to access org-tag-alist from the in-buffer settings
#+FILETAGS or #+TAGS? C-c C-c, of course, refreshes the local setting;
C-c C-q gives an error(?) message "Before first headline at position 1
in buffer . . ."

At the moment my work around is: start the file's first line with
*<spc>#+FILETAGS, then C-c C-c, and after setting tags delete the *<spc>.

My system is Windows 7 (home Premium), emacs 24.0.93.1, org 7.8.03

If I have overlooked something obvious or easily researched, just say so
and I'll continue looking for the answer.

BTW, I'm a freelance paralegal.  Amongst other uses, a few months ago I
used org to draft a contract (from my notes kept in the org file), then
exported to LaTeX, then to pdf to print the final draft.

Charlie Millar

* Re: Access org-tag-alist from #+FILETAGS
@ 2012-03-13 18:01 ` Charles
From: Charles @ 2012-03-13 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I hope my occupation is not the reason for the "no response" to my
question and comments two weeks ago.

Charlie Millar

@ 2012-03-13 18:48   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-03-13 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Charles <millarc@verizon.net> wrote:

> I hope my occupation is not the reason for the "no response" to my
> question and comments two weeks ago.

Nope - lack of time, energy, inclination, knowledge are all possible.

> Charlie Millar
>
> On 2/28/2012 2:28 PM, Charles wrote:
> > I use a few tags and usually two or three will apply to all entries
> > in a particular file, e.g. :work:Client:OpenFile: or :Personal:Home:
> >
> > All my tags are in my .emacs using the org-tag-alist and I want to
> > use these consistently.
> >
> > Is there a way to access org-tag-alist from the in-buffer settings
> > #+FILETAGS or #+TAGS? C-c C-c, of course, refreshes the local
> > setting; C-c C-q gives an error(?) message "Before first headline at
> > position 1 in buffer . . ."
> >
> > At the moment my work around is: start the file's first line with
> > *<spc>#+FILETAGS, then C-c C-c, and after setting tags delete the
> > *<spc>.

Have you tried a setup file?

tag.org:
#+TAGS: one two three

and the "real" file is:
#+SETUPFILE: tag.org

#+TAGS: foo bar baz

* two
* four
* three                                                                                                        :bar:baz:
* one                                                                                                              :foo:
* five                                                                                                         :foo:baz:

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp
org-tag-alist
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
| one      |
| two      |
| three    |
| :newline |
| foo      |
| bar      |
| baz      |

everything plus :newline (whatever that is).

Nick

@ 2012-03-14  0:16     ` Charles
From: Charles @ 2012-03-14  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode