* [babel] Is there a way to use edebug on emacs-lisp code blocks ?
@ 2012-01-01 13:55 Marc-Oliver Ihm
From: Marc-Oliver Ihm @ 2012-01-01 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi 2012, hi all !

Is there a way to use edebug for debugging my emacs-lisp code blocks ?
(Or is there another preferred way to debug emacs-lisp code in babel ?)

For normal coding I use edebug a lot and it would be great to be able to use it in babel too.

The only workaround I can currently imagine would be to define global functions to do the work and
only call these functions from the code blocks ...

with kind and curious regards, Marc-Oliver Ihm

* Re: [babel] Is there a way to use edebug on emacs-lisp code blocks ?
@ 2012-01-01 20:05 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-01-01 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc-Oliver Ihm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Marc-Oliver Ihm <marc-oliver.ihm@online.de> writes:

> Is there a way to use edebug for debugging my emacs-lisp code blocks ?
> (Or is there another preferred way to debug emacs-lisp code in
> babel ?)

You can open the block in a temporary buffer, with C-c ', and use C-u
C-M-x from there.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [babel] Is there a way to use edebug on emacs-lisp code blocks ?
@ 2012-01-01 21:01   ` Marc-Oliver Ihm
From: Marc-Oliver Ihm @ 2012-01-01 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am 01.01.2012 21:05, schrieb Nicolas Goaziou:
> Hello,
>
> Marc-Oliver Ihm<marc-oliver.ihm@online.de>  writes:
>
>> Is there a way to use edebug for debugging my emacs-lisp code blocks ?
>> (Or is there another preferred way to debug emacs-lisp code in
>> babel ?)
>
> You can open the block in a temporary buffer, with C-c ', and use C-u
> C-M-x from there.
>

> Regards,

Hi Nicolas,

Thanx, that is close ! However, I also need to resolve <<noweb>> references.

Resolving <<noweb>> references is something, that org-babel-expand-src-block does,
which however is still not what I need, because it only works for #+begin_src ... #+end_src blocks,
but not for #+call: lines and for the arguments, which can be passed.

So, if I have something like:

#+call: foo(1,2)

I cannot see a way to get a buffer with all the code, that foo might expand into, INCLUDING the assignments for the
arguments 1 and 2.

(If babel would give me such a buffer, than it would be easy to use edebug on it, I agree.)

So, to be more precise: Is there any command that would expand a full #+call: line like above
with all its arguments into pure elisp ?

Thanx for your help !

* Re: [babel] Is there a way to use edebug on emacs-lisp code blocks ?
@ 2012-01-01 22:40     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-01-01 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc-Oliver Ihm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Marc-Oliver Ihm <marc-oliver.ihm@online.de> writes:

> So, if I have something like:
>
> #+call: foo(1,2)
>
> I cannot see a way to get a buffer with all the code, that foo might
> expand into, INCLUDING the assignments for the arguments 1 and 2.
>
> (If babel would give me such a buffer, than it would be easy to use edebug on it, I agree.)
>
> So, to be more precise: Is there any command that would expand a full #+call: line like above
> with all its arguments into pure elisp ?

AFAIK, there is no such command.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [babel] Is there a way to use edebug on emacs-lisp code blocks ?
@ 2012-01-02 13:41       ` Marc-Oliver Ihm
From: Marc-Oliver Ihm @ 2012-01-02 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am 01.01.2012 23:40, schrieb Nicolas Goaziou:
> Marc-Oliver Ihm<marc-oliver.ihm@online.de>  writes:
>
>> So, if I have something like:
>>
>> #+call: foo(1,2)
>>
>> I cannot see a way to get a buffer with all the code, that foo might
>> expand into, INCLUDING the assignments for the arguments 1 and 2.
>>
>> (If babel would give me such a buffer, than it would be easy to use edebug on it, I agree.)
>>
>> So, to be more precise: Is there any command that would expand a full #+call: line like above
>> with all its arguments into pure elisp ?
> AFAIK, there is no such command.
>

> Regards,

Okay, thanx !

Than I will simply define an elisp-function and use edebug in that.

That's definitely fair enough for my case !
(but I will keep explicit edebug-support on my wishlist :-)

with kind regards, Marc-Oliver Ihm