* mailto link problem
@ 2011-12-29 22:03 Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2011-12-29 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

This might be off-topic, but there has been discussion about this issue
before on this list.

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/22550

The problem is that the above discussion doesn't solve my problem. So
here it is.

On my old system (Ubuntu 10.04, Emacs 23.3, Org-Mode 7.8.02, default
browser Firefox, default mail client Thunderbird), I could click on a
mailto link in an org file and Firefox would open up Thunderbird. I
could then put in the message and send it via Thunderbird. No problems.

On my new system (Xubuntu 11.10, Emacs 24.0.92.1, Org-Mode 7.8.02,
default browser Firefox, default mail client Thunderbird), an Emacs
window in message-mode is opened when I click on a mailto link in an
org-mode file. This is not what I want, I want the behavior to be like
it was in my old system.

My old system just worked without me customizing any variables. I didn't
change org-follow-link, org-link-mailto-program, mail-user-agent, etc. I
didn't mess around with /etc/mailcap or other stuff. The Emacs variables
on my new system are identical to those I used with my old system and
the html stuff in /etc/mailcap looks identical. I don't understand why
the two systems behave differently.

Please don't suggest that I switch to Gnus or something. I don't have
time to switch, Thunderbird is easy to set up, it handles HTML well, it
reads feeds nicely, and I use the External Editor plug-in
(http://globs.org/articles.php?pg=2&lng=en) and emacsclient to write my
email using Emacs (as I am doing now). I keep my email addresses in org
files and I would like to be able to just click on a mailto link to
connect to Thunderbird instead of doing a kill and yank routine.

* Re: mailto link problem
@ 2011-12-29 22:42 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-12-29 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Randby; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com> wrote:

> On my new system (Xubuntu 11.10, Emacs 24.0.92.1, Org-Mode 7.8.02,
> default browser Firefox, default mail client Thunderbird), an Emacs
> window in message-mode is opened when I click on a mailto link in an
> org-mode file. This is not what I want, I want the behavior to be like
> it was in my old system.

So what is the value of org-link-mailto-program? Mine says

,----
| org-link-mailto-program is a variable defined in `org.el'.
| Its value is (browse-url "mailto:%a?subject=%s")
`----

and if that's the case for you as well, then org is off the
hook: you have to look downstream from browse-url to figure
out where it's going off the rails. In particular, check
if browse-url-mailto-function is set: if it is, try setting
it to nil and see if that gets things  back on track (not tested,
not guaranteed).

Nick

* Re: mailto link problem
@ 2011-12-29 22:55 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-12-29 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Randby; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com> wrote:

> This might be off-topic, but there has been discussion about this issue
> before on this list.
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/22550
>
> The problem is that the above discussion doesn't solve my problem. So
> here it is.
>
> On my old system (Ubuntu 10.04, Emacs 23.3, Org-Mode 7.8.02, default
> browser Firefox, default mail client Thunderbird), I could click on a
> mailto link in an org file and Firefox would open up Thunderbird. I
> could then put in the message and send it via Thunderbird. No problems.
>
> On my new system (Xubuntu 11.10, Emacs 24.0.92.1, Org-Mode 7.8.02,
> default browser Firefox, default mail client Thunderbird), an Emacs
> window in message-mode is opened when I click on a mailto link in an
> org-mode file. This is not what I want, I want the behavior to be like
> it was in my old system.
>
> My old system just worked without me customizing any variables. I didn't
> change org-follow-link, org-link-mailto-program, mail-user-agent, etc. I
> didn't mess around with /etc/mailcap or other stuff. The Emacs variables
> on my new system are identical to those I used with my old system and
> the html stuff in /etc/mailcap looks identical. I don't understand why
> the two systems behave differently.

One more thing - try the following from the command line:

  firefox --remote "openURL(mailto:srandby@gmail.com)"

If that gets you back into emacs, then emacs is off the hook: a visit to
about:config in firefox is indicated.

Nick

* Re: mailto link problem
@ 2011-12-29 23:03   ` Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2011-12-29 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 12/29/2011 05:42 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:

> and if that's the case for you as well, then org is off the
> hook: you have to look downstream from browse-url to figure
> out where it's going off the rails. In particular, check
> if browse-url-mailto-function is set: if it is, try setting
> it to nil and see if that gets things  back on track (not tested,
> not guaranteed).

Setting browse-url-mailto-function to nil worked. That must be a new
variable for Emacs 24. At least it isn't in the browse-url group of
Emacs 23.3. Its default value is emacs-mail. Thanks a bunch, I only
spent most of today trying to figure out this issue.

Scott

* Re: mailto link problem
@ 2011-12-29 23:12   ` Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2011-12-29 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 12/29/2011 05:55 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:

> One more thing - try the following from the command line:
>
>   firefox --remote "openURL(mailto:srandby@gmail.com)"
>
> If that gets you back into emacs, then emacs is off the hook: a visit to
> about:config in firefox is indicated.

Good suggestion. I had already checked to make sure that Firefox would
open a mailto url in Thunderbird, but I didn't do it via the command
line. I'd never thought about running Firefox from the command line.

Scott

* Re: mailto link problem
@ 2011-12-30 18:48     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-12-30 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Randby; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com> writes:

> On 12/29/2011 05:42 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:
>

>> and if that's the case for you as well, then org is off the
>> hook: you have to look downstream from browse-url to figure
>> out where it's going off the rails. In particular, check
>> if browse-url-mailto-function is set: if it is, try setting
>> it to nil and see if that gets things  back on track (not tested,
>> not guaranteed).
>>

> Setting browse-url-mailto-function to nil worked. That must be a new
> variable for Emacs 24. At least it isn't in the browse-url group of
> Emacs 23.3. Its default value is emacs-mail. Thanks a bunch, I only
> spent most of today trying to figure out this issue.
>
> Scott

For reference, from the Emacs News file (C-h n):

,----
| * Changes in Specialized Modes and Packages in Emacs 24.1
|
| +++
| ** Archive Mode has basic support for browsing and updating 7z archives.
|
| ** browse-url has a new variable `browse-url-mailto-function'
| specifies how mailto: URLs are handled.  The default is `browse-url-mail'.

`----

even though we're not quite at 24.1 yet...  but that's Emacs for you!

There have been quite a few changes under the hood in Emacs lately.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.92.1
: using Org-mode version 7.8.02 (release_7.8.02.55.g1870)